Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
    If the right Dartmouth team shows up tonight, the game could be interesting. But either way, I still expect Union to pull out a win. Having a chance to take full control of first place going into the break is a "big motivation," as Gostisbehere put it.

With tonight being their third game in six days (with a long distance road trip ahead), I guess it's not completely unrealistic that Alex S. might get the nod tonight against a low-scoring Dartmouth team. If tey're going to rest Stevens at all during this stretch, I highly doubt it would be at SCSU. But time will tell.
    No way does Alex start a conference game.
    Union College Hockey
    2014 NCAA National Champions
    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
      No way does Alex start a conference game.
      I agree.

Hey we're in first, let Dartmouth worry about us! So much has been made about this being a trap game that I don't think anyone on the team, players, and certainly not the coaches will take this game lightly. The stakes are far, far too high. Still Dartmouth is somewhat improved and won't by lying down for us, but IF we play our game, we win. I do want to see Colin much sharper and more consistent than he was vs. Quinny. He is still evolving into the prime time role and despite some hiccups, his win loss record is pretty good and that's what it boils down to.

The travel will be tough, but remember these are young men, in peak physical condition, not old guys like us or at least me. They do have the better part of a day to get acclimated and hopefully some rest. The challenge of playing the number one team in the country should have them amped up. RB will never use travel or fatigue as an excuse. I also think it likely that there will be lineup changes between Friday and Saturday, but I'm usually clueless on these issues. Far more to gain than lose out of the weekend.
      Last edited by Wholin1; 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        RB will never use travel or fatigue as an excuse.
        After last years loss to QU in the NCAA tourney, I vividly remember the team using the excuse that they played the late game against BC and that was part of their poor effort.
        Quinnipiac University '15
        ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
        ECAC Championship: 2016
        NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
        Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
          After last years loss to QU in the NCAA tourney, I vividly remember the team using the excuse that they played the late game against BC and that was part of their poor effort.
          Not sure where you heard/saw that but our coach was emphatic in post game interviews saying that we had lost to the better team. He is a "no excuses" coach. This is a "no excuses" team. No whining about the ice or the refs or the rink. I will see if I can find the post game interview. Might have been fans like me making excuses for the team but not our coach. Here was the ESPN writeup http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...rozen-four-bid
          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-11-2013, 12:02 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Some off topic news that might be of interest:

Albany's Times Union Center to host the NCAA Division I Hockey East Regionals in 2016. It was last held there in 2010.

Announcement video:
            http://youtu.be/7w4miGEYK60

2015-18 Frozen Fours: Boston ('15), Tampa ('16), Chicago ('17) and St. Paul in 2018.
            Last edited by rdf8585; 12-11-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
              Others discussed the issue, coach said if we had played into a higher seed we would have gotten the preferred start time, in other words, no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                Others discussed the issue, coach said if we had played into a higher seed we would have gotten the preferred start time, in other words, no excuses.
                You are correct. Players used the late game as an excuse for their poor effort, Bennett said player better and get a higher seed.
                Union College Hockey
                2014 NCAA National Champions
                2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Former Union standouts Kyle Bodie and Wayne Simpson are teammates once again:

http://t.co/e19HoiY7ud

Comment

Good Luck tonight Dutchmen !!!
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Tonight's lineup.. no surprises, Stevens in goal

Daniel Carr/Eli Lichtenwald/Matt Wilkins
                      Kevin Sullivan/Mike Vecchione/Michael Pontarelli
                      Daniel Ciampini/Max Novak/Nick Cruice
                      Matt Hatch/David Roy/Sam Coatta

Mat Bodie/Charlie Vasaturo
                      Shayne Gostisbehere/Jeff Taylor
                      Matt Krug/Sebastien Gingras

Colin Stevens
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...ver-dartmouth-

Union takes over first place with 3-2 win over Dartmouth; St. Cloud up next.
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

That was the worse hockey I have seen the Dutchman play all year. Absolutely terrible. Thank God Stevens decided to have a great game and keep us in it. You cannot win and consistently be the last player to the loose puck. Dartmouth outplayed us and outskated us and outshot us 39 - 30. Just like with Colgate you could see this coming a mile away. I am glad we don't have to play them anymore during the regular season. The good news is we won. The hockey gods are still with us and it is great to have 16 points going into the break. The bad news is that if we play like this this weekend. it will be a bloodbath and it won't be SCSU's blood.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not their best game by any stretch, but they battled back and now are in sole possession of first-place in the ECAC.

Postgame videos:

R.Bennett - http://t.co/evBPwhOf8X

Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet - http://t.co/evBPwhOf8X

Pontarelli, Bodie, Cruice - http://youtu.be/LnXPG21M8Jc

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              That was the worse hockey I have seen the Dutchman play all year. Absolutely terrible. Thank God Stevens decided to have a great game and keep us in it. You cannot win and consistently be the last player to the loose puck. Dartmouth outplayed us and outskated us and outshot us 39 - 30. Just like with Colgate you could see this coming a mile away. I am glad we don't have to play them anymore during the regular season. The good news is we won. The hockey gods are still with us and it is great to have 16 points going into the break. The bad news is that if we play like this this weekend. it will be a bloodbath and it won't be SCSU's blood.
                              I think some credit needs to go to Dartmouth who had a lot to do with how bad we may have looked. I would just as soon not see them again come postseason. Credit to our guys who showed a lot of heart in taking ownership of the third period and to the freshmen who stepped up again. Colin showed me plenty too, I hope it's a portent of things to come from him. I really like this team's intangibles. They won a big game against a tough opponent on a night when not at their best. Next stop, St Cloud.

Comment

Dartmouth was impressive. That was the worst game Union played at home since LSSU, but again, give Union credit for coming back and pulling it out.

Dartmouth hardly resembled a 2-9 team, and their recent improvements are clearly the real deal. They have the potential to make a good jump once league play resumes after the holidays. Give them credit for firing 39 shots on goal, seven more than any other opponent has had against Union this year.

As Bennett said, Stevens (who made a career-high 37 saves) kept them in the game... especially through the first two when Dartmouth had 27 of their 39 shots. Hopefully, he can build off the effort at SCSU.

Recap: http://bit.ly/18ESCzh
                                Last edited by rdf8585; 12-12-2013, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X