Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-14 North Dakota Season thread

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    Well originally, yes. But when Gopher fans kept eating them they switched to mason jar lids.
    And then they threw the lids at cars in the parking lot and invented "FRISBEES"!

Comment

UND recruit Ryan Gropp goes to the WHL instead.
      Weak. At least the group of incoming forwards is still quite stacked. Let's hope most of those still end up at campus.
      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        UND recruit Ryan Gropp goes to the WHL instead.
        Weak. At least the group of incoming forwards is still quite stacked. Let's hope most of those still end up at campus.
        I'm fine losing him now... its when they decommit right before the season that really sucks.

Comment

But you really hate to lose one with the potential he has. Here's a quote from an article about him going to Seattle:

Losing Gropp likely knocked the wind out of some UND fans. He was regarded as the college’s best Canadian recruit since Chicago Blackhawks star Jonathan Toews in 2005. Not to mention, Gropp’s decision must have amped the hate towards the CHL from college hockey fans as they just lost St. Louis Blues second-round pick Tommy Vannelli, who was committed to the University of Minnesota, to the Medicine Hat Tigers roughly a month ago.
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

University of North Dakota Fighting Lucky Bounces would be an appropriate moniker tonight.
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Nice win tonite. Absolutely owned the first period, played pretty even in the second and did what they needed in the third to win the game. It was great to see a fast Sioux team winning battles to get to the puck. And it didn't hurt to get a little puck luck. Sweep tomorrow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                Nice win tonite. Absolutely owned the first period, played pretty even in the second and did what they needed in the third to win the game. It was great to see a fast Sioux team winning battles to get to the puck. And it didn't hurt to get a little puck luck. Sweep tomorrow!!!
                What a gigantic win. Keep it Rollin tomorrow!
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

absolutely fitting that NoDak gets the first win in the NCHC

Comment

Nice win to start conference play.

As for positives, I'd say that the last 15 minutes of the first period were as well played by UND as they are probably capable. Zane had a real solid game and the boys continued their solid penalty kill play.

The first 5 minutes of the first period, and most of the second, not so much. Not many scoring chances and back on their heels for much of the time. The third looked like it could be the same, but the penalties kind of killed Miami's momentum. I was also disappointed with their play on the 5 minute major. That was a chance to bury a very good team, and we looked pretty disorganized.

As I say, a good start. But it will be a season of steps.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, why not give someone else a shot?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/276532/

Comment

I count 15 forwards on the North Dakota roster, only 2 senior forwards, and 5 incoming recruits (schmaltz, Wilkie, voltin, poganski and gersich) - I'm no mathematician but without early departures that leaves 18 forwards on the roster. That's after Gropp saw the writing on the wall and decommitted. How is playing time (and scholarships for that matter) going to work at North Dakota next year? Unless they have early departures or push recruits out a year, they'll have 6 healthy scratch forwards any given night. Do you expect any other decommitments?

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                          I count 15 forwards on the North Dakota roster, only 2 senior forwards, and 5 incoming recruits (schmaltz, Wilkie, voltin, poganski and gersich) - I'm no mathematician but without early departures that leaves 18 forwards on the roster. That's after Gropp saw the writing on the wall and decommitted. How is playing time (and scholarships for that matter) going to work at North Dakota next year? Unless they have early departures or push recruits out a year, they'll have 6 healthy scratch forwards any given night. Do you expect any other decommitments?
                          A couple of them will be found floating in the Red.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Well that was ugly. Didn't show up until the second period. Typical goaltending - always let in a softie. Rocco who? Take the "A" off Pattyn and give it to someone that doesn't take stupid penalties. It's going to be a long year....

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                              Well that was ugly. Didn't show up until the second period. Typical goaltending - always let in a softie. Rocco who? Take the "A" off Pattyn and give it to someone that doesn't take stupid penalties. It's going to be a long year....
                              Looking at North Dakota's roster, I was somewhat surprised by the lack of "big name" players, especially at Forward. We all know about Grimaldi, but after him I don't see tons of talent. In years past there was usually at least 3 or 4 guys that you dreaded having to play against, which doesn't look to be the case this year....

Comment

Congrats to Dillon Simpson. Named NCHC defensemen of the week.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_artic...rrer_id=878553
                                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Working...
                                X