Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-14 North Dakota Season thread

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    Did anyone watch the SCSU v UNO series? Trying to figure out if the huskies played lousy or if the mavs are heating up. Hopefully it was just Faragher getting a case of The Red Light Lee because UND isn't going to put up 8 on the weekend much less one night.
    I would say some combination of both. Omaha! has some horses up front. As the box scores would indicate, neither team had an issue putting up goals.

However, SCSU, in both games, played very poorly defensively. Way, way too many mistakes in their own end. And in the Saturday game, SCSU may as well have started Rhode Cone between the pipes.

Omaha!'s goalie situation is pretty bleak. In the post game presser on Friday, Deaner said that Massa was questionable for this weekend in Grand Forks. That leaves their two freshman guys, each of whom got a start this weekend (although Thompson was pulled from the Saturday game). I think I stole this stat from Tipsy, but prior to the SCSU series, Massa, Thompson, and Peters all had save percentages south of .89.

And credit where credit is due, Omaha! outplayed SCSU for 5 of 6 periods this past weekend. I'm giving the 3rd period of the Friday game as a clear advantage to the Huskies.

I would say the key for the Sioux will be to find the net early and then buckle down defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
      Please! The only drugs that I consume are Caffeine and an occasional Bud Light Lime or Bud Black Crown.
      Ah, but your freezer is full of cannabis-eating deer, no?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Ah, but your freezer is full of cannabis-eating deer, no?
        Actually, no, I didn't get a license last season and I only shot on deer in the last four years.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
          Omaha!'s goalie situation is pretty bleak. In the post game presser on Friday, Deaner said that Massa was questionable for this weekend in Grand Forks. That leaves their two freshman guys, each of whom got a start this weekend (although Thompson was pulled from the Saturday game). I think I stole this stat from Tipsy, but prior to the SCSU series, Massa, Thompson, and Peters all had save percentages south of .89.
          That seems to be the common theme that I have heard as well.
          Eric's Twitter

Comment

I would count Massa out for the weekend, the only thing Mean Dean hates more than a goalie is a hurt goalie. I'm surprised he didn't yank both 'tenders last week and put in another D-man!
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

UND Hockey: Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota set to Battle
              Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                I would count Massa out for the weekend, the only thing Mean Dean hates more than a goalie is a hurt goalie. I'm surprised he didn't yank both 'tenders last week and put in another D-man!
                At this time of year who knows, these coaches do the rope a dope. It sounds like Zane isn't even practicing right now, so that's probably means he's not going to play this weekend.
                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Goaltending has been a huge issue, just maybe less so when Massa is out there. None of our 3 goalies were particularly heralded coming out of juniors and all had pretty pedestrian numbers.

The three goalies have save percentages of .887 (Massa), .879 (Thompson), and .876 (Peters). Every one of them has been pulled in the middle of a game and all have had shaky moments and/or have allowed some ridiculous goals. Coach Blais has been publicly not very complimentary about his stable of goalies, too.

Throw in a very below average defense corps................

FYI, UNO's current recruit class currently does not include a single goaltender, either, despite Coach Blais' public pronouncements about it being the best one he has had in his tenure here.

When I watch us play, I can't get over the "this looks like Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount" vibe I have when watching us play. We outshoot practically everybody (last time I checked UNO was at or near the top in the country in SOG) to very little effect.

UNO has played its best (a subjective phrase here, to be sure) against offensively challenged teams this season and this whole weekend would seem to boil down to whether ND can score. I think any outcome you can dream up might be plausible on some level this weekend.

Comment

Tires made strong, tires made tough....
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

It seems that Ryan Walters hasn't updated his twitter as of late... @ryan_wally17 #bigtalk
                      Last edited by willythekid; 02-07-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Last night was pretty much an instant replay (stylistically, anyway) of the two games in Omaha.

Typical UNO game. Outshoot the other team by 10 or more shots and...............lose. What a sad recurring refrain that sentence is around here.

edit: Oh, how the "mighty" have fallen.

Ryan Walters goal was his first non-power play goal of the season.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                          It seems that Ryan Walters hasn't updated his twitter as of late... @ryan_wally17 #bigtalk
                          Not sure what's funnier: the tweet itself or UND fans getting all bitter about it.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Not sure what's funnier: the tweet itself or UND fans getting all bitter about it.
                            I don't think bitter is the right word. I'd say it got fans fired up. And what's wrong with being passionate about your team and a little trash talk? I liked the tweet because you know some UND players saw it and, even if not explicitly stated, it could provide as bulletin board material.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                              I don't think bitter is the right word. I'd say it got fans fired up. And what's wrong with being passionate about your team and a little trash talk? I liked the tweet because you know some UND players saw it and, even if not explicitly stated, it could provide as bulletin board material.
                              Bent out of shape is a better term. UNO's goaltending situation is so bad right now that them even winning a game, let alone sweep is a long shot.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The last time someone got this bent out of shape it Bruce Ciskie last night when he doubt complained about the refs screwing UMD.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X