X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
    That's it, I'm bringing a cask of amontillado to the Beanpot. (Might make watching it more bearable.)
    Will stop by for a glass. Is the Crimson contingent still located in that same row?
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Hurl82 View Post
      Brutal? I thought you'd at least go Edgar Allan Poe on the commitment switch, Bothman.

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."
      He didn't get through admissions. Bracco "de-committed" while Forunato & Plant (Denver) were told to go pound sand by Harvard admissions. Most of the pundits are calling the latter two "de-commits", though I think most people paying attnetion realize that both would be at Harvard if it were up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        He didn't get through admissions. Bracco "de-committed" while Forunato & Plant (Denver) were told to go pound sand by Harvard admissions. Most of the pundits are calling the latter two "de-commits", though I think most people paying attnetion realize that both would be at Harvard if it were up to them.
        Good, I like that BC is still the bad guy stealing recruits and no one else is doing it. Although we can change the narrative when it comes to Miles Wood having issues with Brown, right? No one ever has a problem doing that here so I think we are all on the same page, am I right?
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Good, I like that BC is still the bad guy stealing recruits and no one else is doing it. Although we can change the narrative when it comes to Miles Wood having issues with Brown, right? No one ever has a problem doing that here so I think we are all on the same page, am I right?
          No one can answer these questions unless they have inside knowledge of the conversations that did or did not go down between York & Bracco and Donato & Bracco...and pehaps even York & Donato.

If you told me that York or one of his henchman reached out to Bracco unsolicited, then I would say BC is the bad guy. If Bracco made the outreach, then no. York & BC should not be penalized for building a great program that leads to "committed" recruits changing their minds.

And personally, I think the "everybody else is doing it" rationale rings hollow. Hockey deserves a higher bar!
          Last edited by bothman; 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

And persponally, I think the "everybody else is poing it" rationale rings hollow. Hockey deserves a higher bar!
            "Everyone else is doing it" rationale is a losing argument for anything in life.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Fortunato to BU. Sigh.
              Oh joy.

Comment

Because a new coach would want commitments to improvement the athletic dept. has earmarked for basketball instead. Whereas an alum and overall good guy isn't going to leave just because he's not getting total support from the powers that be. It is what it is - we've decided to hitch our horse to basketball for the time being. At this point, that team doing well gets more press than the fact that hockey is not and the majority of alums semm willing to be happy with basketball being king if it means hockey being diminished. I'm a diehard hockey fan and I can't even muster up anything more than acceptance of the status quo. If this is the tradeoff for a good basketball team in the AI system then this is what's going to happen.

I think that honestly the best we can hope at the moment for is that Teddy and his staff discover a hockey recruiting scheme akin to Moneyball - finding undervalued players that can get through admissions and at least bring us up into the upper half of the ECACs.
                This reminds me of the '80s when hockey ruled and basketball was, well, an afterthought. Guess the shoe/sneaker/skate is on the other foot. Given that Teddy just invested in some upgrades to his home in Scituate, I see your rationale for taking one for the 'ol alma mater. Still, it has to burn him if he has any competitive juices. He played with a fire in his belly while he was here and in the pros. Does he suddenly decide to put that on the shelf in the name of keeping the status quo? If that is the case, then we can get used to last place finishes for the next ten to fifteen years. So long fan base. Good luck with those new concessions. I'll bet Kevin Landry must be thrilled right about now with his investment. Talk about thumbing your nose at an alumni donation.

Comment

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 3m

According to 2 sources, a current Division 1 head coach is a finalist to become the new assistant coach at Harvard replacing Albie O'Connell
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Brian Sullivan ‏@SullivanHockey 1m

BREAKING: Reliable source has 20-year @HCHockey head coach Paul Pearl leaving post in favor of vacant assistant position at @Harvard_Hockey.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      Brian Sullivan ‏@SullivanHockey 1m

BREAKING: Reliable source has 20-year @HCHockey head coach Paul Pearl leaving post in favor of vacant assistant position at @Harvard_Hockey.
                      Guy is a head coach for 20 years at his alma mater and comes for an assistant position with us? That's...odd?

I guess current ruled him out, but I would have bet $1 on Princeton's recently resigned bench boss.
                      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

Paul Pearl.... http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/atla...sistant-job-at
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          Is he coming to Harvard to take a break, being groomed for head coach job at H, or some other reason?

This move strikes me as a bit off.

Comment

Is he coming to Harvard to take a break, being groomed for head coach job at H, or some other reason?

For those out there who are "in the know." What does Pearl currently make at HC and what does an assistant at Harvard typically make. I can imagine he is in for a significant pay cut - or this this a prelude to TD's being asked to resign?

Comment

We're grooming a guy who has been a head coach for 20 years to become our head coach? And if so, that would mean Scalise hired him without Teddy's input, so Teddy's just a lame duck? Why not just fire the guy or let him resign gracefully then? Which would also let a search firm do due diligence on people who might have been more interested if it was just the head spot open.

I'm not saying this isn't the end result, but even this seems like a weird scenario. I almost feel like something is happening on Holy Cross's end instead. That would make the most sense to me.
                              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

great addition.

Comment

Working...
                                X