X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    .... Gwozdecky isn't leaving Penn State for Harvard.
    Guy Gadowsky is Penn States coach. George Gwozdecky is the former Denver coach.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      Guy Gadowsky is Penn States coach. George Gwozdecky is the former Denver coach.
      Whoops. Blew that one!

Comment

What made it worse is that we can't use the excuse that we are too young because NU has 12 freshmen on their roster and regularly dresses eight of them. The difference between the two teams last night was like night and day. And I was particularly unhappy about the way Harvard took cheap shots (Guiltinan's kneeing the NU player late in the game was a joke) at NU.

I have no idea about candidates. Kevin Sneddon, UVM's coach is an alum and might be considered but I doubt he would leave HE for the ECAC. Mark Dennehy of Merrimack could be someone they would look at; his brother coaches a prep team that has a player committed to Harvard. Gwozdecky isn't leaving Penn State for Harvard.

The Ivy League tends not to get into the firing game with coaches unless there is an egregious situation involving the players well being or a firestorm from the parents. Or both. Look at Gaudet at Dartmouth. They haven't won anything and yet he remains the coach. He's an alum and I doubt the powers that be in Hanover will look to remove him any time soon.
        I agree with you about the cheap-shotting. It was bad enough to put up a poor effort, but the chippiness of Harvard as the game wore on was disturbing. Northeastern is not a dirty team. It looks like the team is out of control.

Comment

Tough loss for you guys last night. I was expecting a different result based on the way UNH got smoked by "H" earlier in the season. Like Wes Weckler said after the Super Bowl, "the game can be cruel at times." I thought he was referring to the Broncos performance!
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Tough loss for you guys last night. I was expecting a different result based on the way UNH got smoked by "H" earlier in the season. Like Wes Weckler said after the Super Bowl, "the game can be cruel at times." I thought he was referring to the Broncos performance!
            Nothing tough about it. We flat out quit and never bothered to show up. As bad a performance as I have seen from the Crimson in a long, long time. This team has given up; they no longer care if they win or lose. As I posted earlier, I'm really disturbed by the cheap shots taken at NU players and the stupid penalties that keep happening game after game. There is zero accountability on this team. The system doesn't work and the team knows it. We'll see if the administration agrees and decides to make a change at the end of the season.

Comment

In other Bean Pot news, the Harvard women follow in their masculine bretherin's skates and lose 4-3. In the words of the immortal Lombardi, "WHAT THE HELL$ GOIN ON HERE" .
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Nothing tough about it. We flat out quit and never bothered to show up. As bad a performance as I have seen from the Crimson in a long, long time. This team has given up; they no longer care if they win or lose. As I posted earlier, I'm really disturbed by the cheap shots taken at NU players and the stupid penalties that keep happening game after game. There is zero accountability on this team. The system doesn't work and the team knows it. We'll see if the administration agrees and decides to make a change at the end of the season.
                Good luck with that! But you're right. Sounds like some changes are needed. I expected more from a Donato coached team.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

What made it worse is that we can't use the excuse that we are too young because NU has 12 freshmen on their roster and regularly dresses eight of them. The difference between the two teams last night was like night and day. And I was particularly unhappy about the way Harvard took cheap shots (Guiltinan's kneeing the NU player late in the game was a joke) at NU.

I have no idea about candidates. Kevin Sneddon, UVM's coach is an alum and might be considered but I doubt he would leave HE for the ECAC. Mark Dennehy of Merrimack could be someone they would look at; his brother coaches a prep team that has a player committed to Harvard. Gwozdecky isn't leaving Penn State for Harvard.

The Ivy League tends not to get into the firing game with coaches unless there is an egregious situation involving the players well being or a firestorm from the parents. Or both. Look at Gaudet at Dartmouth. They haven't won anything and yet he remains the coach. He's an alum and I doubt the powers that be in Hanover will look to remove him any time soon.
                  Ya when they cut to him in the locker room before the game to hear him speak it seemed like there was no conviction/fire. It was all cliche/common things for a coach to say, seemed really hollow.

As a result of Yale winning the national championship and Quinnipiac being in the finals, does it put more pressure on them to make a change? It's not like it isn't a question of talent, because Harvard has more than enough to compete in my book. Although I'm a BC guy, but Im Boston born and hate to see a program with so much potential drift in a place of mediocrity if you could even call it that. Would be really fun to have BC, BU, Harvard, and Northeastern all in the NCAA's at some point.

Just think George Gwozdecky makes too much sense, former coach of Denver and current Tampa Bay Lightning assistant coach. 443-267-64 record with 2 national championships , 12 NCAA appearances in 19 years at Denver.

Comment

is harvard gonna pony up the dough for someone like gwoz?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      is harvard gonna pony up the dough for someone like gwoz?
                      More to the point, is Harvard willing to look the other way at some of his recruiting shenanigans and admit the type of kid he's likely to bring in? Oh wait, aren't they already doing that with Amaker?
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        More to the point, is Harvard willing to look the other way at some of his recruiting shenanigans and admit the type of kid he's likely to bring in? Oh wait, aren't they already doing that with Amaker?
                        Just curious, was unaware of recruiting issues with Gwoz? Just knew he was one of the best recruiters in the country and was able to actually convince really good players to come without scholarships to a school that costs $40,000+ a year. From everything I've seen, he was lauded for having such a clean record of recruiting.

Comment

Dennehy would not go there. Have you seen his record after cannata and dacosta left?
                          before and after...
                          Snedden is a loser, period
                          Leaman would be leading canidate if Donato left, which he wont

Comment

I'm curious as to why Mark Mazzoleni was fired after 5 seasons? Was it an egregious situation, or a firestorm from parents? (or, firestorm from alums?)

Mazzoleni was at Harvard for 5 years. In his first 2 seasons, he brought a sub .500 program to .500 or better. In his last 3 seasons, Mazzoleni won 2 ECAC tournament titles and his team appeared in 3 straight NCAA tournaments. The year he was fired, Harvard went 18-15-3, won the ECAC tournament title and took his team to the NCAA big dance.

Ted Donato is in his 10th year as coach at Harvard, replacing Mark Mazzoleni in the 2004-2005 season. In Donato's first 2 seasons, with Mazzoleni's players, Donato won the ECAC tournament title once and appeared in 2 NCAA tournaments. He has not had a sniff of either since the 2005-2006 season.
                            Harvard Hockey History

FWIW, it seems pretty clear that the writing is on the wall. With the exception of Skate79, I don't see any Harvard regulars in here bemoaning the accomplishments, or lack thereof, of head coach Ted Donato and his hockey team. There's no egregious situation and no firestorm from parents or alumni. It appears to me that this is Ted Donato's job for as long as he wants it.

Just my observations.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I'm curious as to why Mark Mazzoleni was fired after 5 seasons? Was it an egregious situation, or a firestorm from parents? (or, firestorm from alums?)
                              Mazz wasn't fired. He chose to leave because he took a job with the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. A friend of his was the GM there. Mazz had been in talks with them shortly after the '04 season and the deal got done pretty quickly.

There were parents who were upset with him - one parent in particular that I got to know very well who detailed to me what went on in practice that bordered on the absurd. And humiliating for the player. Mazz never did adjust to coaching in the ECAC and was never comfortable with Ivy academics including the AI. He ruffled some feathers with the athletic department along the way. I don't know if any alums protested to Bob Scalise but I do know that after he left, I was one of several who signed a letter asking Bob to consider Teddy or Ron Rolston as our next head coach.

Mazzoleni was at Harvard for 5 years. In his first 2 seasons, he brought a sub .500 program to .500 or better. In his last 3 seasons, Mazzoleni won 2 ECAC tournament titles and his team appeared in 3 straight NCAA tournaments. The year he was fired, Harvard went 18-15-3, won the ECAC tournament title and took his team to the NCAA big dance.
                              True. He did come in and got us to the NCAAs. And we won two ECAC tournaments on his watch. But we constantly underachieved and the problems with players kept surfacing year after year. Obviously you are not going to please everyone all the time but the complaints were justified and the talent was wasted year after year.

Ted Donato is in his 10th year as coach at Harvard, replacing Mark Mazzoleni in the 2004-2005 season. In Donato's first 2 seasons, with Mazzoleni's players, Donato won the ECAC tournament title once and appeared in 2 NCAA tournaments. He has not had a sniff of either since the 2005-2006 season.
                              Harvard Hockey History
                              Not quite. In '08, we went to the ECAC tournament final losing to Princeton and in '12, we went to the final again losing to Union. There's no question that Teddy has failed to build on his early years and that has a lot of people, myself included, pretty frustrated. But you have to give him credit where it is due and in those two years, they surprised people by going to the tournament final.

FWIW, it seems pretty clear that the writing is on the wall. With the exception of Skate79, I don't see any Harvard regulars in here bemoaning the accomplishments, or lack thereof, of head coach Ted Donato and his hockey team. There's no egregious situation and no firestorm from parents or alumni. It appears to me that this is Ted Donato's job for as long as he wants it.

Just my observations.
                              I think that other Harvard alums and those connected with the University have weighed in from time to time. Let's face it, the program has fallen into the abyss and the losing is hard to take after a while. How many times can you berate someone or the program before it falls on deaf ears? If Teddy wasn't such a good guy (and he is because I've known him since he was at Harvard), there probably would be a firestorm. But it is hard to keep pounding on someone who clearly loves the game and has strong feelings about his alma mater. That said, after Monday's debacle, something has to give.

Comment

It's a shame that what looks great now under Mazzoleni compared to Donato - actually most certainly was underachieving then too. There's no reason Harvard can't do what Cornell, and moreso in recent years Yale, have done. It's been 20 years of this. Mazz gets credit for doing more than Ron and Ted have done, but that just wasn't cutting it either given what the potential is, and given what Skate79 said about the underlying issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X