This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

i don't know, north dakota won three titles in the 80s and wisconsin won two. no question though, the 80s were the glory days of harvard hockey. they were certainly one of the top programs in that era.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      harvard has had some great teams in the past, but when were they ever a "dominant force"?
      Yes. They were an incredibly strong program, and for a lengthy period. The team that won the national title might not even have been their best of the 80's. All that plus they played beautifully -- it was tremendous hockey to watch (and tremendously frustrating to lose to year after year, at one point going 0-19-3 in RS games against them). I can recall being at the absolute depths of our losing streak against them, watching them in the NCAAs, fully intending to root against them. By the second period I was rooting for them, mostly for the sake of the ECAC, but also because they were a fine team.

I have no doubt they'll recover in time. Like Clarkson they just have too much institutional commitment to let this go on for long.
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

NHL.com with a Prospect watch. Ryan Donato features in the sidebar to the right. Any chance those of you calling for his father's head can wait just long enough to get this kid to commit? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads
        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

I chatted Harvard hockey with ECAC reporter Josh Seguin ahead of tonight's game with Union:

http://t.co/3JqgAN3c4h

Everyone here agree with Seguin's assessments of the Crimson?

Comment

Your lines tonight at Union -

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              They went to the NCAA Finals in 1983 (lost to Wisconsin), 1986 (Hobey Baker winner Scott Fusco was injured in the semi against Denver in Providence and they lost 6-5 to Michigan St), and 1989 (won it). They had 3 Hobey Baker Winners in the 1980s - Mark Fusco, Scott Fusco, and Lane MacDonald.

And that includes 1984 & 1988 where Harvard teams were always decimated by the Olympics back when the Olympics played collegiate athletes in hockey.

One could argue that Harvard was the dominat team of the 1980s....a far cry from where it is today.
              If Scotty wasn't leg whipped in that Denver game, we would have won it the next night. I'm sure of it. And in '87, we made it to the Frozen Four losing to North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                NHL.com with a Prospect watch. Ryan Donato features in the sidebar to the right. Any chance those of you calling for his father's head can wait just long enough to get this kid to commit? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads
                While Ryan seems to be a chip off the old block and he is correct in his assessment of his dad's playing style, I don't see him coming to Harvard. Sounds like he might be headed to BC or BU.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                  I chatted Harvard hockey with ECAC reporter Josh Seguin ahead of tonight's game with Union:

http://t.co/3JqgAN3c4h

Everyone here agree with Seguin's assessments of the Crimson?
                  No. Seguin sounds like a complete buffoon. The Bobcats dominated the third period and should have won the game. We played better against Cornell but still made some rock head plays. And why didn't he mention Colgate who completely dominated us in our own building? Guess we didn't get a 'ton' of chances that game? We have some skill but are nowhere near being a top flight ECAC program. Just because we have nine NHL draftees on the team doesn't mean we are some kind of budding powerhouse. Bet Tampa is just thrilled they drafted Brian Hart right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    Simply not true...Vesey, Kerfoot and Criscuolo all played juniors, USHL, USPHL, BCHL. Malone played for USNTDP. There are others too.
                    Ryan MacGregor for one.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                      [/B]

Harvard recruits basically prep players and to me that is killing them on the ice. While the the majority of the rest of the ECAC has more mature junior players that have more seasoning, Harvard does not have one player on their roster that is from junior hockey whether its the USHL, BCHL, AJHL, USPHL, etc. To me that is a huge difference. Compare that to a roster like Quinnipiac where the entire team played junior hockey or transferred from another university and there lies the difference. While Harvard has talent the key is seasoned talent. They would be better off sending some of these prep kids to play juniors for 1-2 years and maybe the results would be much different.
                      The administration would never go for that. They understand when a youngster wants to take a year before matriculating to shore up their grades or strengthen their academic skills in a particular area. But they would never go for admitting hockey players only to see them take off for two years to play juniors. That won't fly.

Comment

With all the "puppy papers" (nine draft picks?) that pervade the Harvard lineup, the frustration factor in Cambridge must be approaching the unpalatable. Last night's game witnessed too many squandered opportunities. Yes, Union has another great team but they looked very vulnerable for much of the game. The Dutchmen stole that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPSalum View Post
                          With all the "puppy papers" (nine draft picks?) that pervade the Harvard lineup, the frustration factor in Cambridge must be approaching the unpalatable. Last night's game witnessed too many squandered opportunities. Yes, Union has another great team but they looked very vulnerable for much of the game. The Dutchmen stole that one.
                          Young team on the cusp of doing very good things. Not this year (all about the learning), but I love what lies ahead.

Comment

Indeed, lots of young, very talented kids. Of the 9 points for Harvard last night 6 were from freshmen, 2 from sophs. and one assist from a senior; it's been that way all season long; '17 and '18 are the heart of this team. And great new blood lined up for next year. BUT we still lack a system the kids can buy into, ala Yale since Keith took over, and a leader who can develop the talent. How much longer until we look for someone new behind the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              While Ryan seems to be a chip off the old block and he is correct in his assessment of his dad's playing style, I don't see him coming to Harvard. Sounds like he might be headed to BC or BU.
                              That would be the worst. I'm hoping he's waited this long to commit b/c he wants to see if he gets in to Harvard and if his dad will be behind the bench or not.
                              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by H60Hockey View Post
                                Indeed, lots of young, very talented kids. Of the 9 points for Harvard last night 6 were from freshmen, 2 from sophs. and one assist from a senior; it's been that way all season long; '17 and '18 are the heart of this team. And great new blood lined up for next year. BUT we still lack a system the kids can buy into, ala Yale since Keith took over, and a leader who can develop the talent. How much longer until we look for someone new behind the bench?
                                Very well put. If we had a system that took advantage of the talent, we would be that much further along. I was at Tsongas Arena last night for the PC-Lowell game and I can tell you Harvard is nowhere near as talented as either of those teams. But if we had a system and better coaching, we could give either of those teams a run for their money. For so many years, we've talked about the talent on the roster but at some point, that talent has to show results. And yes, coaching plays a big part in coaxing that talent to produce those results.

Comment

Working...
                                X