• Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2013-2014

Respect for Officials???
    Yes. Missed that one. Fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      Rachlin did hit the Yale goalie but she left her crease to go behind the net which mean't she was in play just like her teammates.
      This is incorrect. I believe that the protected area for the goalie is a box from the face-off dots to the end boards; regardless, it's much greater than just the crease.

Comment

Harvard, are you getting nervous!!! 1-0 Yale

Comment

All the excuses were ready. Too tired. Too much pressure. A hot goalie in Leonoff. Missed opportunities. On and on. Yet somehow, some way Harvard got it done tonight. Just an immense game. For the second straight night, Harvard ruled and dominated play in stretches. Yale relied so heavily on their D and their goalie and tonight, it backfired on them. That and not getting the help from officials they got last night. Tonight the officials put their whistles away in OT and let both teams decide it for themselves. As it should be.

What can you say about Miye D'Oench? My goodness, she gave it all she had and played about 75 minutes tonight. At times she never came off the ice. That kid has heart and soul that is beyond off the charts. She is playing on another level and I only hope she has something left for tomorrow. Her effort on the winning goal was pure desire.

Leonoff again was great and kept Yale in this game. Harvard had so many chances and some incredible looks right in front of her yet she stood tall. In the first OT, she cramped up something fierce yet stayed in and kept fighting. Lots of heart there as well.

Crowell rolled the dice with Liang in goal and it paid off. Brianna remained calm and steady throughout the game and came up with a season saving stop just before Dylan Crugnale tied the game. She also had a beauty in the second OT right before D'Oench won it. But again, and this is baffling to me, Crowell shortened her already short bench by limiting the minutes of Sydney Daniels and Elizabeth Parker late in the game and into the OTs. Daniels has had a great two games and I just don't understand these moves. She got away with it tonight but I can't see this helping Harvard tomorrow.

BTW, for those interested, I spoke to Mary Parker before the game. She has a concussion and if Harvard makes it to Clarkson next weekend, she may play. She is feeling much better so hopefully Harvard wins tomorrow and we get her back next weekend.

I'll say it again; Harvard is the better team. Yale has been living off Leonoff but the number of saves she has had to make these past two nights has to take its toll. I expect the same kind of game tomorrow unless Harvard is completely gassed and has nothing left. But they have too much courage and heart not to fight to the end. So buckle up and let's have it.

Comment

For what it's worth, the GWG came while Yale was playing its third line/10th forward who had 1 SOG total. So not shortening can hurt too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              All the excuses were ready. Too tired. Too much pressure. A hot goalie in Leonoff. Missed opportunities. On and on. Yet somehow, some way Harvard got it done tonight. Just an immense game. For the second straight night, Harvard ruled and dominated play in stretches. Yale relied so heavily on their D and their goalie and tonight, it backfired on them. That and not getting the help from officials they got last night. Tonight the officials put their whistles away in OT and let both teams decide it for themselves. As it should be.

What can you say about Miye D'Oench? My goodness, she gave it all she had and played about 75 minutes tonight. At times she never came off the ice. That kid has heart and soul that is beyond off the charts. She is playing on another level and I only hope she has something left for tomorrow. Her effort on the winning goal was pure desire.

Leonoff again was great and kept Yale in this game. Harvard had so many chances and some incredible looks right in front of her yet she stood tall. In the first OT, she cramped up something fierce yet stayed in and kept fighting. Lots of heart there as well.

Crowell rolled the dice with Liang in goal and it paid off. Brianna remained calm and steady throughout the game and came up with a season saving stop just before Dylan Crugnale tied the game. She also had a beauty in the second OT right before D'Oench won it. But again, and this is baffling to me, Crowell shortened her already short bench by limiting the minutes of Sydney Daniels and Elizabeth Parker late in the game and into the OTs. Daniels has had a great two games and I just don't understand these moves. She got away with it tonight but I can't see this helping Harvard tomorrow.

BTW, for those interested, I spoke to Mary Parker before the game. She has a concussion and if Harvard makes it to Clarkson next weekend, she may play. She is feeling much better so hopefully Harvard wins tomorrow and we get her back next weekend.

I'll say it again; Harvard is the better team. Yale has been living off Leonoff but the number of saves she has had to make these past two nights has to take its toll. I expect the same kind of game tomorrow unless Harvard is completely gassed and has nothing left. But they have too much courage and heart not to fight to the end. So buckle up and let's have it.
              Who do you think will be in nets tomorrow for Harvard? Do you play the freshman or your MVP? If Laing plays and Harvard wins, what does this do for next weekend? Also, Daniels took yet another senseless penalty early in the game. Maybe this is why she got less ice time? Perhaps Crowell thinks she needs to discipline her young players, I am curious to see Daniel's ice time tomorrow.

D'oench has been an absolute star for Harvard. She is such a talent and so much fun to watch. What a gritty goal in OT. In game one she scored off of the Yale dmans skate to tie the game. And tonight she tied the game at 1 off a great screen by the Yale dman off the faceoff. The box score has her down for 16 shots on goal tonight. She is the biggest reason Harvard is still alive. As an aside, it would have been nice to see a more creative penalty shot from her!

I cannot imagine Yale winning tomorrow. This game means too much to the crimson. They will find a way to win and keep the season alive.
              Last edited by john0128; 03-02-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by john0128 View Post
                I cannot imagine Yale winning tomorrow. This game means too much to the crimson. They will find a way to win and keep the season alive.
                On the other hand, if Yale can keep it close, and with the much-discussed Crimson's short bench and possible fatigue factor, I wouldn't be too surprised if Yale were to spring the upset.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  On the other hand, if Yale can keep it close, and with the much-discussed Crimson's short bench and possible fatigue factor, I wouldn't be too surprised if Yale were to spring the upset.
                  For all the talk, it's not like Yale benefits a ton from playing more its third line more. These games have been much more about goaltending & penalties than depth. Yes, there's some relation between fatigue & penalties, but Harvard seemed to control play throughout in Game 2. Just avoid taking 3 penalties in a game's second overtime, and get good goaltending as they have all season, and Harvard should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                    For all the talk, it's not like Yale benefits a ton from playing more its third line more. These games have been much more about goaltending & penalties than depth. Yes, there's some relation between fatigue & penalties, but Harvard seemed to control play throughout in Game 2. Just avoid taking 3 penalties in a game's second overtime, and get good goaltending as they have all season, and Harvard should be fine.
                    Penalties, should Daniels be receiving the ice time she does? 2 dumb penalties yesterday, -3 in the last two games and no points. Seems to be more of a liability than the upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Penalties, should Daniels be receiving the ice time she does? 2 dumb penalties yesterday, -3 in the last two games and no points. Seems to be more of a liability than the upside.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                        Penalties have been a problem for the Crimson all season. Marisa Gedman has had more than her fair share of dumb penalties - do you want to cut back her minutes and play Robin White more often? You take the good with the bad. Daniels creates offense better than most of the forwards on this team and with a hot goalie for Yale, you need scoring threats. D'Oench while seemingly a one woman wrecking crew, can't do it all by herself. Neither can Hilary Crowe. Today's game is going to be one team's last game for the 2014 season. You have to play your best and accept what comes with it. Especially when you have a short bench.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          At this point, it's anyone's series. You can roll out all the cliches but in the end, it will be decided by mistakes and goaltending. Leonoff has been immense. If Harvard continues to forecheck and put pressure on her, it will be interesting to see if fatigue catches up to her as well. And let's also remember that this is Yale's first foray in the ECAC playoffs since '08. None of these current players have faced a win or go home scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            Today's game is going to be one team's last game for the 2014 season.
                            I think Harvard gets into the NCAAs even with a loss today.

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            Especially when you have a short bench.
                            Is Yale's bench really any longer? It seems that the Bulldogs rely a lot on their top two lines, and someone like Staenz must be on fumes at this point coming off a draining experience at the Olympics. The advantages of playing at home should mitigate any perceived advantage of having an extra body up front.
                            Last edited by ARM; 03-02-2014, 11:47 AM.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

yale's dependence on leonoff and staenz may come back to bite them tonight. they need both to be on their A game for the team to be successful, especially against harvard, but lets put this in perspective. Staenz is just coming back from a grueling olympics in Russia. On top of the 2 double OT games, she must be feeling it. Leonoff has faced almost 115 shots in less than 24 hours. Put that all on top of a season total of 1030 saves, nearly 200 more than the next kid behind her around 880, which was the Brown goalie. The rest of the yale team is still very talented, but if these two players can be game changers tonight there is something to be said about adversity and heart. IMHO, no other team relies so heavily on two players AND is successful. You can make a case for lindenwood and minnesota state, but what Yale has done this year is more impressive.

harvard is running a very short bench and will need a standout performance from their goalie tonight. Expect harvard to play a disciplined game, and I expect D'Oench to be a star again tonight. There are a lot more questions up in the air for harvard tonight. You need to wonder if all these questions will be a distraction for the players. Despite everything, I still believe Harvard will win. They are too talented and too experienced to choke.
                              Last edited by john0128; 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I think Harvard gets into the NCAAs even with a loss today.

Is Yale's bench really any longer? It seems that the Bulldogs rely a lot on their top two lines, and someone like Staenz must be on fumes at this point coming off a draining experience at the Olympics. The advantages of playing at home should mitigate any perceived advantage of having an extra body up front.
                                I hope you are right about the NCAAs. I'm just not sure. Won't it depend on results from other tourneys? If there are no other upsets, then doesn't this hurt Harvard if they lose today?

Yale actually started double shifting Staenz late in the third and into the OTs. But still having players you are willing to play from the get-go helps them when they do shorten later in the game. For Harvard, they are going short right from the start and actually are cutting back on minutes to Daniels and Elizabeth Parker as the game wears on. D'Oench looked at one point like she played ten consecutive minutes. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X