X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH goalie situation

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I didn't know Conklin was a transfer. Where did he come from?
    Alaska Anchorage I believe? Not sure he ever played there, but he did use up a year of eligibility with the transfer.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure Sean Matile transferred from UMaine without playing there either, and lost a year of eligibility as well.

Guess that's just how UNH was securing their goalie talent back in the early days of The Whitt ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Alaska Anchorage I believe? Not sure he ever played there, but he did use up a year of eligibility with the transfer.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure Sean Matile transferred from UMaine without playing there either, and lost a year of eligibility as well.

Guess that's just how UNH was securing their goalie talent back in the early days of The Whitt ...
      Correct-- UAA (never played in a game) - he left early in the 96-97 season and went back to Green Bay.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuck Murray;5794422]I don't think there's any question that the story of the UNH season early on is the emergence of the goalie competition.

There hasn't been a true goalie platoon at UNH since the Pietrasiak/Regan years, and Carney/Ayers a couple years before that. /QUOTE]

I always thought that Carney should have started in net at the NCAA semi's in Xcel Center back in 2002. Then, there was that weekend in Orono late in the regular season when Carney was on the shelf with a concussion and Ayers had his wrist badly cut by a skate, but essentially played with one arm the remainder of that game and the next one. But, I liked that duo pushing one another the entire season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I don't think there's any question that the story of the UNH season early on is the emergence of the goalie competition.

There hasn't been a true goalie platoon at UNH since the Pietrasiak/Regan years, and Carney/Ayers a couple years before that.
          I always thought that Carney should have started in net at the NCAA semi's in Xcel Center back in 2002. Then, there was that weekend in Orono late in the regular season when Carney was on the shelf with a concussion and Ayers had his wrist badly cut by a skate, but essentially played with one arm the remainder of that game and the next one. But, I liked that duo pushing one another the entire season.
          Still remember that game when Ayers got sliced - it was our eldest daughter's first trip to Orono, and (other than the score and the injury) we had a great time with the UMaine-iacs. I think that was a Friday night game, and the second game wasn't until Sunday afternoon. We were equal parts shocked and impressed to see Ayers in there for the Sunday game. But I don't think he finished up the Friday night game? I'm pretty sure Timmy Collins finished that one up in Ayers' place ...

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread

Looks like the Jeff Wyer era as #1 goalie for UNH lasted all of 23+ minutes ...

Comment

Still remember that game when Ayers got sliced - it was our eldest daughter's first trip to Orono, and (other than the score and the injury) we had a great time with the UMaine-iacs. I think that was a Friday night game, and the second game wasn't until Sunday afternoon. We were equal parts shocked and impressed to see Ayers in there for the Sunday game. But I don't think he finished up the Friday night game? I'm pretty sure Timmy Collins finished that one up in Ayers' place ...
              Good stuff, Chuck. So, there was a kid on the club team who thought that he would be driving to Orono to back up Timmy in net for the Sunday game, as I recall?

As for this season's inauspicious start, I would rather that we finish strong, rather than the reverse as last year.

Comment

snively65, i think you could be on to something. it's not like you've been losing to the little sisters of the poor either. you've lost to some good teams.

Comment

"UNH Digs Early Season Hole - Loses to RPI"
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Good stuff, Chuck. So, there was a kid on the club team who thought that he would be driving to Orono to back up Timmy in net for the Sunday game, as I recall?
                    That is correct. There was a long discussion thread at the time - back when we used to have a LOT more folks following UNH. Miss those days.

As for this season's inauspicious start, I would rather that we finish strong, rather than the reverse as last year.
                    I'm taking a page out of the Liga MX, and focusing on the "Clausura 2014" part of the season, as opposed to the "Apertura 2013" half of it.

Frickin' UNH should be "NCAA D-1 Men's Hockey Apertura Champions in Perpetuity" ...

Comment

"UPDATED: UNH Digs Early Season Hole - Loses to RPI"

Updated to include video highlights of RPI and UNH goals.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

To date, UNH opponents boast a 19-3-3 record and sit at #1, #4, #10 & #17. Up next, pre-season #1...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          To date, UNH opponents boast a 19-3-3 record and sit at #1, #4, #10 & #17. Up next, pre-season #1...
                          Ok, I get why our RPI is only 30th, but why is our SOS only 19th?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Hey, if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best.

Too bad about that Daylight Savings Time screw-up last weekend. Spotting RPI 4 goals at home in the first hour?? No other explanation, I'm afraid ...

Comment

Collins did finish the first night, Ayers was injured and left with the lead, and they lost 6-3. Carney, who was out with a concussion, got a ride up to suit up the next night (wasn't cleared I don't think), but Ayers heroically made the start, got the tie (signature glove save in OT on Shields, I think), and had surgery and was out until the post season, I believe. Ayers and Carney both got hurt by their own players, both in games that Hache was officiating. The games in Orono were Fri/Sat nights.

Comment

Ok, I get why our RPI is only 30th, but why is our SOS only 19th?
                                I am no RPI or SOS expert, but opponents of our opponents are just 22-42-11 (against fairly light schedules - outside of the opponents shared with UNH). Early in the season, I'd guess its easy for the numbers to get skewed. Once things begin to balance out, UNH's SOS should be one of the best in the country over the course of the season. I can't remember a year where they've had this difficult a schedule...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X