X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildcatdc;
    Back to hockey (hoky?)....

2-7-1 vs. top 10. 7-2 vs. all others... Looks like there is a well-defined line for this team, and it doesn't portend good things for the postseason, even if we miraculously make it there.
    I do not think that we need a miracle to join the NCAAs again this year, but we probably need to win all remaining OOC games and get back to the Gahden in the Hockey East tournament (i.e., I think that Hockey East may only place three or four teams in the NCAAs this year).

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread

UNH football = a little love for Marty, right?
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Nd state will be tough, two time defending champ and undefeated this year
        NDSU will be a challenge for sure. UNH has exceeded my expectations so far and they are now playing with house money. What's different about this team is that they are tough, resilient and find a way. They will go into this game as an underdog and with a big chip on their shoulders to knock off the fastest gun in the West. "Any given Sunday"(or Friday in this case!). If they can somehow keep it close anything can happen!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          NDSU will be a challenge for sure. UNH has exceeded my expectations so far and they are now playing with house money. What's different about this team is that they are tough, resilient and find a way. They will go into this game as an underdog and with a big chip on their shoulders to knock off the fastest gun in the West. "Any given Sunday"(or Friday in this case!). If they can somehow keep it close anything can happen!
          Yea but you have to be able to kick field goals and XP's if you want to have a chance
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I do not think that we need a miracle to join the NCAAs again this year, but we probably need to win all remaining OOC games and get back to the Gahden in the Hockey East tournament (i.e., I think that Hockey East may only place three or four teams in the NCAAs this year).
            I honestly think it might indeed require a minor miracle (at least) for UNH to win ALL of its remaining OOC games. That's kind of been an issue up to this point, no?

And without advancing to Boston for the HE Tourney - considering the OOC record - any shot at an NCAA bid is kaput.

My take on UNH's performance to date and outlook for the Spring mirrors that of wildcatdc. I'm sure we both hope to be proven wrong.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              This is a team that's now confident in its ability to rise to the occasion, and win in a must-win scenario (UNH Hockey - take notes). I'm not saying they are a "team of destiny" yet, but there is a self-belief and determination on both sides of the ball (special teams, maybe not so much after last night's placekicking debacles ) that previous UNH teams have lacked in the postseason. Overcoming that late SELA TD, when things seemed to be slipping away and going in the home team's favor in an "I've seen this movie before and I don't like the ending" way ... that speaks volumes to this team's character, and I would not put anything past them from here on out.

And the whole "playing with house money" thing ... from our standpoint as fans, I agree 100%, but I hope the UNH players and staff do not head out to NDSU with that mindset. They've been playing with an edge, a certain intensity and focus that must-win games bring with them. Can't remember looking forward this much to a UNH Football game in almost 20 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                This is a team that's now confident in its ability to rise to the occasion, and win in a must-win scenario (UNH Hockey - take notes). I'm not saying they are a "team of destiny" yet, but there is a self-belief and determination on both sides of the ball (special teams, maybe not so much after last night's placekicking debacles ) that previous UNH teams have lacked in the postseason. Overcoming that late SELA TD, when things seemed to be slipping away and going in the home team's favor in an "I've seen this movie before and I don't like the ending" way ... that speaks volumes to this team's character, and I would not put anything past them from here on out.

And the whole "playing with house money" thing ... from our standpoint as fans, I agree 100%, but I hope the UNH players and staff do not head out to NDSU with that mindset. They've been playing with an edge, a certain intensity and focus that must-win games bring with them. Can't remember looking forward this much to a UNH Football game in almost 20 years now.
                Another good post Chuck Agree with all of it including the part about; "UNH Hockey - take notes"!

Looking forward to watching this game too. Maybe Marty will come back with some new inspirations for the "Dungeon" too

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Yea but you have to be able to kick field goals and XP's if you want to have a chance
                That was frustrating. The good news is that they have a week to figure out how to stop those blocks. With the missed field goals and the other missed opportunities in the red zone that game actually could have been a blowout
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I honestly think it might indeed require a minor miracle (at least) for UNH to win ALL of its remaining OOC games. That's kind of been an issue up to this point, no?

And without advancing to Boston for the HE Tourney - considering the OOC record - any shot at an NCAA bid is kaput.

My take on UNH's performance to date and outlook for the Spring mirrors that of wildcatdc. I'm sure we both hope to be proven wrong.
                  Ok, so maybe "a minor miracle" to sweep Union at the Whitt. But, the other five OOC games and 10 conference games should not require any kind of miracle to win. After return from tourney in Florida, 11 of their remaining second half 15 games are at home. Should not take any kind of miracle to maintain home ice for the first round of the Hockey East tournament, and win two of those games for a return to the Gahden.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Ok, so maybe "a minor miracle" to sweep Union at the Whitt. But, the other five OOC games and 10 conference games should not require any kind of miracle to win. After return from tourney in Florida, 11 of their remaining second half 15 games are at home. Should not take any kind of miracle to maintain home ice for the first round of the Hockey East tournament, and win two of those games for a return to the Gahden.
                    Totally agree...

What they are going to have to do first and foremost is to show up every night and play consistent hockey...they are more than capable! Sure they lost some great players last year in Henrion, Hardawa etc (whom I wish I has seen play more...) but they have great talent who can do serious damage. Miracle? Trip to the Frozen Four! Important to focus on the immediate task on hand; a good showing in the Fla tourney and onto the Union, Nebraska and Maine games! Go 'Cats!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

It has been very interesting reading people debate the relevance of shots on goal, and other parameters. One issue that has been completely ignored is the UNH Pep Band's song sequence. In the late 90s and early 2000s, when the Wildcats were one of the top teams in the country, the band habitually played "Born To Be Wild" first. That has not happened in years. Until this grievous error is corrected all hope is lost and the discussion of other factors is moot.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Earl of Bodine View Post
                        It has been very interesting reading people debate the relevance of shots on goal, and other parameters. One issue that has been completely ignored is the UNH Pep Band's song sequence. In the late 90s and early 2000s, when the Wildcats were one of the top teams in the country, the band habitually played "Born To Be Wild" first. That has not happened in years. Until this grievous error is corrected all hope is lost and the discussion of other factors is moot.
                        Well... This and the turtleneck problem. Where is billb anyway? Thought we'd see him for sure after BC swept the Mildcats.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Actually, all of the team's woes can be traced directly to Black Betty ... does that make me a racist?
                          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                            Actually, all of the team's woes can be traced directly to Black Betty ... does that make me a racist?
                            So, again, it is all Marty $carano's fault.

Comment

All kidding aside ... it was right around the time the admin folks began to interject on issues like song selections (no "Black Betty"), *proper* chants (band playing over fans' usual response to the opposing player intros), etc. that things began to slide attendance-wise, wasn't it? I don't remember exact dates on any of that, but my recollection is that it was at around the time when the once-legendary season ticket waiting list was at its longest, and it seemed like admin seemed empowered to try to sanitize the fan experience to a more "family-friendly" atmosphere.

I'm not saying that there are other factors aplenty that haven't contributed to the fall-off in attendance (and enthusiasm), including on-ice performance and the economy a few years later. But the whole effort to "sanitize" the fan experience and atmosphere at The Whitt seems to have been the precursor, and it was largely avoidable. "If it's not broke, don't fix it". Hope there have been some lessons learned along the way, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Comment

what's this about black betty?

Comment

Working...
                                X