X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
    I do not buy the idea that all tickets should be 10-12 dollars including mine.
    Funny, I don't recall anybody saying that all tickets should be $10-12.

The point you missed in your zeal to attack me, was to illustrate the athletics department's often incompetent, and almost always ill advised decisions, especially as it pertains to how the fans are treated.

As a season ticket holder for 6 years since I graduated, I used to pay better than $430 for my tickets too. But sure, I took advantage of lower priced options when they were made available, especially since I don't actually occupy a seat. My preference, since my student days, is to watch from the concourse.

But it certainly doesn't build trust in the fan base to offer cheaper tickets one year, only to eliminate them the following year with no explanation, resulting in, yes, a price increase. Given the department's past, seemingly take it or leave attitude when times were good, makes it even more annoying.

I had a friend dump his season tickets, in part because he got tired of seeing other fans getting the same tickets as part of good deals, often including food vouchers. He didn't see the benefit in overpaying when he could wait and very likely get the same seats for less. But hey, I guess if it makes you feel so much better to pay more with a smile, then good luck to you. But I'd imagine that you're in the minority on that one.

The short sightedness of their decisions often appear to be a lack of concern or care for how it affects fans. When the end zone opposite the students was made reserved seating, they seemingly ignored the diehard fans who lined up early every game, in order to get seats on the glass in the previously GA section. These fans had no way of guaranteeing that they could get the seats that they sacrificed hours upon hours for in the past. It was only after a harsh backlash that athletics allowed these people to select their seats in advance. Is a couple extra bucks per ticket for reserved seats worth the negative public relations, especially when it could have easily been avoided?
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      PC had been 10 dollars since my college days in the early 2000's...
      Yes Zlax 45 I noticed immediately after hitting enter that I made a typo on Providence ticket prices. Thanks for fixing.

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
        Funny, I don't recall anybody saying that all tickets should be $10-12.

The point you missed in your zeal to attack me, was to illustrate the athletics department's often incompetent, and almost always ill advised decisions, especially as it pertains to how the fans are treated.

As a season ticket holder for 6 years since I graduated, I used to pay better than $430 for my tickets too. But sure, I took advantage of lower priced options when they were made available, especially since I don't actually occupy a seat. My preference, since my student days, is to watch from the concourse.

But it certainly doesn't build trust in the fan base to offer cheaper tickets one year, only to eliminate them the following year with no explanation, resulting in, yes, a price increase. Given the department's past, seemingly take it or leave attitude when times were good, makes it even more annoying.

I had a friend dump his season tickets, in part because he got tired of seeing other fans getting the same tickets as part of good deals, often including food vouchers. He didn't see the benefit in overpaying when he could wait and very likely get the same seats for less. But hey, I guess if it makes you feel so much better to pay more with a smile, then good luck to you. But I'd imagine that you're in the minority on that one.

The short sightedness of their decisions often appear to be a lack of concern or care for how it affects fans. When the end zone opposite the students was made reserved seating, they seemingly ignored the diehard fans who lined up early every game, in order to get seats on the glass in the previously GA section. These fans had no way of guaranteeing that they could get the seats that they sacrificed hours upon hours for in the past. It was only after a harsh backlash that athletics allowed these people to select their seats in advance. Is a couple extra bucks per ticket for reserved seats worth the negative public relations, especially when it could have easily been avoided?
        Your last paragraph basically sums things up. Just about everybody on this board can think of instances over the past 10-15 years where the athletic department/ticket office was tone deaf when it comes to servicing the fans. We can all remember the instances where seats at the Verizon were better for the opposing team than they were for the home team. We all can remember our reactions when, having paid anywhere from $20-$25 for our seat, we sit in the john between periods and read flyers where they are offering tickets 2 for 1, with food vouchers etc. And, of course, we have all received calls from the ticket office offering the seats on either side of us for half price. One of my friends answered that he would gladly give up his full price seat and by the one next to him at the discount. Given this track record, is it any wonder that the most loyal fans have developed a healthy skepticism on what comes down from on high.

I really don't understand why the program's failure rate when it comes to the fans is so high. The little things that they could do to enhance the experience have, by and large, not been done. I'll give UNH some props for finally installing a display on the walls showing the history of the program. I hope folks appreciate it. But how about updates on out of town scores? I know everybody can check them on their phones, but most folks are there to watch the game in front of them. Why not update on the scoreboard, say, a couple of times a period? Why is that so hard? My other pet peeve is the music. Admittedly I'm an old fogie but I still like rock music. However it still miffs me that it seems to be played twice as much as the time allotted for the band. This is a problem not only at UNH but at most rinks I go to. To me a college pep band enhances the college experience, random music played at 130+ decibels (we confirmed that at Lowell earlier this year) just saps the life out of the building. And one last thing, it's past the time when the building needs to be cleaned up. A couple of weeks ago I ran into the parent of a former player, someone who attended just about every game when his kid played at UNH over 10 years ago. His first two comments to me were, where have all the fans gone and, second, this place needs a cleaning. Do you think the administration is aware of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          My other pet peeve is the music. Admittedly I'm an old fogie but I still like rock music. However it still miffs me that it seems to be played twice as much as the time allotted for the band. This is a problem not only at UNH but at most rinks I go to. To me a college pep band enhances the college experience, random music played at 130+ decibels (we confirmed that at Lowell earlier this year) just saps the life out of the building.
          Bring back the Safari's Wipe Out and Carlos Santana!

Comment

Brett Pesce has made the 26-player preliminary roster for the World Junior Challenge:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

He will participate in the U.S. National Junior Team's training camp (at the University of Minnesota) from Dec. 15-18. If he makes the final 23-player roster, which will be announced on Dec 23rd, then he'll be in Sweden from Dec 20 to Jan 5th. That would mean he'd miss the Florida College Classic (Dec 28-29) and the two home games against the University of Nebraska-Omaha (Jan 3-4).
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Brett Pesce has made the 26-player preliminary roster for the World Junior Challenge:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

He will participate in the U.S. National Junior Team's training camp (at the University of Minnesota) from Dec. 15-18. If he makes the final 23-player roster, which will be announced on Dec 23rd, then he'll be in Sweden from Dec 20 to Jan 5th. That would mean he'd miss the Florida College Classic (Dec 28-29) and the two home games against the University of Nebraska-Omaha (Jan 3-4).
              Good luck to Pesce....although I hope he makes the cut, it's going to make our already thin D-man lineup even thinner for those four games. Does anyone know how soon we will see Maller on the ice?
              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                I really don't understand why the program's failure rate when it comes to the fans is so high. The little things that they could do to enhance the experience have, by and large, not been done. I'll give UNH some props for finally installing a display on the walls showing the history of the program. I hope folks appreciate it. But how about updates on out of town scores? I know everybody can check them on their phones, but most folks are there to watch the game in front of them. Why not update on the scoreboard, say, a couple of times a period? Why is that so hard? My other pet peeve is the music. Admittedly I'm an old fogie but I still like rock music. However it still miffs me that it seems to be played twice as much as the time allotted for the band. This is a problem not only at UNH but at most rinks I go to. To me a college pep band enhances the college experience, random music played at 130+ decibels (we confirmed that at Lowell earlier this year) just saps the life out of the building. And one last thing, it's past the time when the building needs to be cleaned up. A couple of weeks ago I ran into the parent of a former player, someone who attended just about every game when his kid played at UNH over 10 years ago. His first two comments to me were, where have all the fans gone and, second, this place needs a cleaning. Do you think the administration is aware of this?
                One word arguably summarizes pretty much everything you've outlined above, Greg (and I agree with virtually everything you've said).

Complacency.

And it's been that way for a LONG time now ... hardly surprising though, as the folks in charge on AND off the ice have been in their positions for over a decade (some way longer than that). I'm NOT advocating for anyone to be replaced, but this is what you expect sometimes when people are in their jobs with long tenure behind them - whether it's at UNH or elsewhere out there in the "real world".

Look at how the Whittemore Center transformed the UNH program back in the mid-'90's. The better part of the first decade in the new building was an unqualified success, on AND off the ice. Coach Umile was relatively new in his job when The Whitt opened, and already had things going in the right direction. AD Scarano arrived circa 2000 with the program at its zenith, where it remained for the better part of the next 5 plus seasons. But admin and everyone else got complacent, and just assumed it would continue unabated. Which of course ignores the reality that as wonderfully as things were going at the time, improvements on AND off the ice at other programs (BU, Merrimack, Lowell and now Providence) were/are happening. So what was once shiny and brand new is no longer new OR even shiny. To differing degrees, complacency has also bit UMaine and UVM in much the same way, and we may be seeing early stages of complacency down at BC (we can only hope, eh?). That 3 of those 4 schools (including UNH) are state schools may or may not be a coincidence.

The sad thing is that there are a TON of UNH Hockey fans sitting it out nowadays, and it really doesn't have to be that way ... and it's not necessarily about the on-ice results, or even the economy. We're not talking multi-thousand dollar season ticket packages here, as there would be with the cost of the product and longer schedules at the NHL level. While those issues have been and may continue to be valid issues, I think it all masks a deep-rooted sense of complacency, and unless the folks in charge ALL take a long hard look in the mirror, then we are probably not going to be seeing anything of significance changing at The Whitt anytime soon. JMHO.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  To differing degrees, complacency has also bit UMaine and UVM in much the same way, and we may be seeing early stages of complacency down at BC (we can only hope, eh?). That 3 of those 4 schools (including UNH) are state schools may or may not be a coincidence.
                  What makes you think we're seeing early stages of complacency in regards to how the administration treats the hockey fans at BC? We've seen improvements in the facility both as fans (insanely nice video boards on each end, new banners, air conditioning added, nice paint job in the concourse) and for the players (new lounge and recently renovated locker room). Ticket prices are reasonable, particularly for such a succesful club, and the crowds have been getting progressively much better as the football and hoops programs have tanked and hockey became the top dog on campus the past few years.

Just curious.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    What makes you think we're seeing early stages of complacency in regards to how the administration treats the hockey fans at BC? We've seen improvements in the facility both as fans (insanely nice video boards on each end, new banners, air conditioning added, nice paint job in the concourse) and for the players (new lounge and recently renovated locker room). Ticket prices are reasonable, particularly for such a succesful club, and the crowds have been getting progressively much better as the football and hoops programs have tanked and hockey became the top dog on campus the past few years.

Just curious.
                    If anything the change in administration has only improved things for the hockey team

Comment

I assume Chuck is talking about the fact that BC's Head Coach has gone insane and is entrusting his program to two kids, one in his early 40s, and one in his mid-30s. If there's anything we've learned up here, never trust anyone less than 55 years old, because they don't know hockey or have the proper gravitas to deal with players age 16 to 24.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        I assume Chuck is talking about the fact that BC's Head Coach has gone insane and is entrusting his program to two kids, one in his early 40s, and one in his mid-30s. If there's anything we've learned up here, never trust anyone less than 55 years old, because they don't know hockey or have the proper gravitas to deal with players age 16 to 24.
                        As usual, 'Watcher nails it.
                        UNH

Comment

Just curious.
                          Those are all fair points Nick, and most of those facility upgrade issues I wasn't aware of. Gotta give credit where credit is due. I've never been a big fan of the facility at BC, any more than I'm a fan of a very similar facility at UMass-Amherst. But compared to each other, there's no question BC has done a LOT more to make the fan experience a positive one than the folks in Amherst have.

And you gotta credit Yorkie too. Further on Watcher's comments, it just goes to prove there are ways to keep things fresh, and old dogs can indeed learn new tricks, IF they're willing to challenge themselves. Let's see now - the two longest-tenured coaches in HE, one has won 4 D-1 titles in the last dozen years, the other has won two HE tourneys, the last coming a decade ago ... which one has every right to be complacent, and which one has every motivation to change things up and figure out what the missing ingredient(s) might be? Hmmmmm ...

So I guess you can file my comments under "wishful thinking". Old habits die hard. Pretty interesting though that a brief throwaway line in my post drew the most attention. For what it's worth, I miss you folks too.

While on the subject of UMA ... it's hard to believe it's been 20+ years now, and the "sleeping giant" is still fast asleep. Gonna be a nasty kick to the groin once UConn joins up (next year, right?) and blows past the Minutemen in a year or two.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

While on the subject of UMA ... it's hard to believe it's been 20+ years now, and the "sleeping giant" is still fast asleep. Gonna be a nasty kick to the groin once UConn joins up (next year, right?) and blows past the Minutemen in a year or two.
                            UConn is not playing their last year in the AHA like a team destined for success in Hockey East next year.

Comment

Not likely but Umass and Uconn do belong in the same sentence. Uconn is going to have a long-term hockey existence similar to that of Umass.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Not likely but Umass and Uconn do belong in the same sentence. Uconn is going to have a long-term hockey existence similar to that of Umass.
                                I hate crashing UNH's thread, but I'll bite... Everything I've ever heard about UCONN's building leads me to believe that they basically built walls around an outdoor rink. Now that could be a gross exaggeration, but with Merrimack and PC doing renovations on their buildings and Notre Dame in a brand new facility, I'm not sure how UCONN will fare in what is probably going to be the worst building in Hockey East. Again, never been there, but if UMASS is struggling in Mullins, UCONN might be screwed.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X