This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread

I truly believe that Darius is much closer to having it right than most others on this board when it comes to ticket prices and the positive karma from having a Tuesday night pre-Thanksgiving faculty/staff free ticket giveaway (having no real revenue loss as a result). It might lead some to ask about season tickets after watching their students in action on the ice. If Freak states one more time that ticket prices have gone up, and that we have the least value versus other programs, I am going to blow a head gasket. My center ice tickets have gone down about 6 dollars per ticket per game this year from last. We have 20 games for ~380 dollars this year versus 18 for 460ish last year. It might be best to give Freak his 12 dollar standing room tickets and if he can wear a pink hat while standing and if he sits down he should have to pay another 12 dollars for a seat. UNH might check tickets of people going down aisles and not allow the Snively 65's of the world to game the system. Most other schools have this policy and it seems to keep the bargain hunters from sitting in prime seating.

If you are not happy with the product or the price, do not come to the games and do not cheer for the team. If you have good seats, there will be someone who would be happy to have those seats as it is my understanding that we have added several hundred new ticket holders as a result of the price drop this year. I am tired of reading how our athletic department is taking us for every last cent. The value versus prior seasons is very noticeable to those sitting in my section. The student fees cover far more of the athletic budget than ticket sales and we might be grateful that we have a hockey and football team that has consistently participated in their respective NCAA tournaments.

For comparison purposes with hockey east schools and other top programs we play this year, here are the game prices for a lower bowl between the face off circles seat:

BC $25
    BU $28
    Merrimack $25
    Vermont $22
    Maine $23-$50
    UMass Amherst $18.75
    Providence $12
    UMass Lowell $17
    Northeastern $20
    Notre Dame $16-25
    Minnesota $35
    Colorado College $35-$40

UNH ~ $19

I would love to pay less money than I do, but I believe I am getting better value now than at any time over the past few decades with the new pricing structure. I think it might be wise to dramatically reduce the number of televised games to increase ticket sales as those on the margins would be far more likely to come to games if not on TV and I believe the school gets little or nothing from the televised games. As a regular attendee, it is better for the flow of the game and the time to complete the game without the TV timeouts. It might make more sense to televise games when we are completely sold out for the season. It would be nice to play Maine, BC, BU and Notre Dame four times each at home to sell out the house, but that is not how the schedules are drafted. It should be apparent to those attending regularly that January home games are sparsely attended and it must make sense to even the biggest whiners on this site to discount these games to increase the attendance. I buy tickets because I am invested long-term in our consistently excellent hockey program. There are very few that have been as exciting and competitive for such a long period of time. I thank all of the other long-term season ticket holders for staying the course and keeping UNH as either the number one or number two attendance leader in Hockey East since the Whittemore Center opened.

Let us all hope that the team finishes the first half well and has a terrific second half and another NCAA berth.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving with your loved ones.

Comment

Thanks for all the insight . Hopefully things will turnaround . A strong UNH team and fan base is important to HockeyEast

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
        I think it might be wise to dramatically reduce the number of televised games to increase ticket sales as those on the margins would be far more likely to come to games if not on TV and I believe the school gets little or nothing from the televised games. As a regular attendee, it is better for the flow of the game and the time to complete the game without the TV timeouts. It might make more sense to televise games when we are completely sold out for the season.
        I didn't realize there were that many televised UNH home games in recent seasons? Regardless, I think reducing the team's presence on TV would be short-sighted. We've lived within 10 miles of the rinks for the last 25+ years now, and despite the fact that this is a relatively small, tight-knit community, you would be shocked to find out just how many hockey fans are out there who have absolutely no idea that we have this excellent product (UNH Hockey and Hockey East) sitting right in our back yard. Kids who think the end-all, be-all is an overpriced Bruins' game an hour away, or even a Monarchs or Pirates AHL game 45 minutes away. Not that those aren't viable options and obviously NHL hockey is the pinnacle of the sport ... but having UNH as your very own "home team" in a great conference like Hockey East, playing against schools that are recognizable and not all that far away if you want to see road games.

UNH used to send its players out into the community, and I know lots of local families who were impressed, and how that started more than a few young kids along the path to following the 'Cats' fortunes. I'm not sure if they do stuff like that anymore, but I do believe UNH can (and must) do much much more in that vein to maximize their own local fan base. I think things got to the point where there were regular sellouts for so long, and with a huge waiting list for season tickets, people at the UNH AD's offices got complacent. Now there are no sellouts and there is no waiting list. Some of that is no doubt down to the gradual slide of the program from perennial contenders near the top of HE (and nationally) to being a slightly above-average program on both fronts.

It's good to hear that some concessions have been made on pricing for the season ticket holders, who in the past have been milked for far too much (BTW I haven't been a season ticket holder since the Snively days, so I'm not one of those "victims"), and that's a good first step. Better work out in the community to raise awareness, combined with some additional TV games (not less) should build up the young off-campus fanbase. The rest is down to improved results out on the ice, and reversing the trend of the last decade. JMHO.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          If you are not happy with the product or the price, do not come to the games and do not cheer for the team.
          UNH hockey love it or leave, right Marty? No comments, thoughts, or opinions allowed, thank you, the UNH Athletic Dept.

Comment

Unh grad here but PC season ticket holder...anyways with the renovations at Scheinder they added a handicap area right in front of my seats that obstructs my view. Called PC up and they moved my seats with little questions asked.

Would that get done at UNH? I doubt it
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

UNH athletics in the community:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/lifeskill...te_Development

TV exposure is a tough one. I did not attend Tuesday because of my schedule, the weather and because I could watch on TV. However, the TV exposure is important. Many broadcasts are carried by Fox College Sports, expanding the marketing reach of the hockey program, UNH athletics and the University.

After one season's success UML had a significant ticket price increase. I don't recall exact prices, but was surprised when I went to buy a ticket at the box office this year. I am not a fan of some aspects of the UML fan experience. Their band is fantastic, but visual senses are overwhelmed by the video thing encircling the arena and a fairly crappy video screen. I'd rather do without. If UNH ever has the wherewithal, a research trip to Quinnipiac is in order.

http://sportzedge.com/2013/06/17/qui...d-scoreboards/
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Unh grad here but PC season ticket holder...anyways with the renovations at Scheinder they added a handicap area right in front of my seats that obstructs my view. Called PC up and they moved my seats with little questions asked.

Would that get done at UNH? I doubt it
                I'm shocked it got done at PC. They've done some good things in the past, mixed with some insanely silly things. I'd still love to know why they scheduled basketball and hockey home games at the same time.

As for UNH1932's ticket price, I can understand most of them, but why is Merrimack and NU charging $20 and over for seats? I know Merrimack has had some nice renovations and NU is great place to see the game, but those prices are ridiculous.

It didn't take while for me to become a cranky old coot.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                  UNH hockey love it or leave, right Marty? No comments, thoughts, or opinions allowed, thank you, the UNH Athletic Dept.
                  Jacques, isn't it nice though that an Athletic Department staffer (why would a fan put that much effort into their post) would take the time on a holiday to bash UNH fans on a message board that obviously is read by some of their most loyal fans. In regards to attendance, UNH is now averaging an "announced" attendance in the low 5,000's. Has it ever been that low since they opened the Whit?
                  Last edited by scoreboard; 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932;
                    If Freak states one more time that ticket prices have gone up, and that we have the least value versus other programs, I am going to blow a head gasket. My center ice tickets have gone down about 6 dollars per ticket per game this year from last. We have 20 games for ~380 dollars this year versus 18 for 460ish last year. It might be best to give Freak his 12 dollar standing room tickets and if he can wear a pink hat while standing and if he sits down he should have to pay another 12 dollars for a seat. UNH might check tickets of people going down aisles and not allow the Snively 65's of the world to game the system. Most other schools have this policy and it seems to keep the bargain hunters from sitting in prime seating.
                    Good to learn that I only saved $7 on my $12 ticket rather than $12. But, another way to look at it is that the Athletic Program would be $12 poorer if I had not shown up. :-)

Comment

Nice bounce-back win from Tuesday's performance by the 'Cats! Hopefully, the team can keep it up tomorrow.

Comment

"UNH 4 Goal Outburst in 3rd Leads to 6-2 Win Over Colorado College"
                        Includes video highlights.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Didn't realize how poorly CC has done this year (record 1-9-2) until I read C-H-C's article. UNH better pull off the weekend sweep, but then again no game is a given.

Comment

Glad last night was not a repeat of last year when the Cats coughed up a four goal lead before settling for a 4-4 tie against the Tigers. The next night at DU was even more bizarre with DeSmith getting chased after giving up three goals in the first nine minutes. Fortunately, the Cats came back to beat the Pioneers and Joey Leleggia 6-4 in that one. Must be something about the lack of oxygen in Colorado?

Comment

Congrats to the UNH Wildcats football team, which routed Lafayette 45-7 in the first round of the FCS playoffs in Durham this afternoon. They will face UMaine next weekend in the quarterfinals to see who advances to the FCS semifinals. GO 'CATS!!!!
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Congrats to the UNH Wildcats football team, which routed Lafayette 45-7 in the first round of the FCS playoffs in Durham this afternoon. They will face UMaine next weekend in the quarterfinals to see who advances to the FCS semifinals. GO 'CATS!!!!
                                If they beat Maine they will enter the quarterfinals vs. ..... if they win that one they will probably get a date with North Dakota State (ouch!) in the Semis. It was a little cool at the game today .... but it did warm the heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X