Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Good weekend sweep and back to figuring out why so many shots allowed .

Comment

First time the Lakers finished with a perfect record in October since 1995.

Hopefully the Lakers can crack the top 20 in the polls tomorrow. It should be close.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Especially since Wisconsin just got spanked in Boston (against BC and BU) this weekend. They aren't going to be happy campers when they face the Lakers, which is also their next series.

One thing I really like about this team besides the 13 different goal scorers this early is the team speed. I hope they go in to their next series with confidence but also know they have to bring it to have a chance to win.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
          Good weekend sweep and back to figuring out why so many shots allowed .
          Lakers took 8 penalties in the game Saturday. 6 of those penalties came in the 2nd period where Union amassed 19 shots and 2 goals. The 3rd period, the Lakers took no penalties but gave up 19 shots again. Maybe they ran out of gas? Not sure.

The way Bill Crawford called that 3rd period, you would have thought it was a playoff game. Electric stuff!

Comment

4-0.

Two tough road games, with the refs sort of on their back. I was trolling quietly amongst the Union posters, and they commented as to the size of the Lakers. It is my experience that at times eastern refs call a somewhat tighter game against bigger teams tha attempt to assert themselves physically. As such, if that was indeed the case, then the Lakers managed to do something they have previously been totally incapable of accomplishing:

They overcame adversity.

Seems simple, and it might all be a ruse, but a tough team, in a tough building, on a LONG road trip, with lots of penalties and lots of shots -- and they stood fast. At a time and place when they could've easily folded, they did not fold. At a time and place where in the past they have folded, they did not fold.

I personally think these were two big wins for which the team should get a ton of credit. Those were tough games mentally.

I don't want to slag off on Union. But in the Midwest, as a hockey kid, its probably easy to get up for Wisconsin -- big stadium, well-known school, well-known former opponents from the West junior ranks. Union is far less-well-known in the Midwest. The players are less known. Its a long road trip. Its not a team or a program that immediately or naturally jumps out at a Midwestern hockey kid as something you get pumped up to play. And of course the fact is that Union is a very good program with good fans, and they were no doubt ready to take both games from LSSU. And our boys came to play. No outside forces were necessary to provide the internal fire and jump to survive two TOUGH road games.

And I like that.

I can't say what these means going forward. A few years ago they arrived in Oxford Ohio early in the year and shocked the Redhawks. And then slowly slipped away in the second half.

But if my LSSU Laker Math is correct, I see 4-0 as better than 3-1.

And that is just wonderful.

Comment

LSSU is ranked #15 in USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Men's College Hockey Poll:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls

Comment

Good for Lake State to jump up that high in the rankings .

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
                  LSSU is ranked #15 in USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Men's College Hockey Poll:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls
                  The Lakers are 15th in both polls.

Way to go Lakers keep it up.
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Congratulations to Sternberg for getting WCHA Defensive Player of the Week!

Lakers get mentioned in a USCHO article!
                    http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/22/tmq-...-takes-a-fall/

Comment

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Will Acton got another goal tonight.

Comment

Lakers move up to #12 in latest USCHO poll!

Comment

Lakers move up two spots in USA Today poll to #13.

Comment

Big weekend against Wisconsin.

Just a hunch, and just a thought, but the Lakers probably should not go into Madison and give up 40+ shots. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                              Big weekend against Wisconsin.

Just a hunch, and just a thought, but the Lakers probably should not go into Madison and give up 40+ shots. Just sayin.
                              We're 4-0 heading into Madison, a better start than I think anyone expected. Wisconsin is 2-2 but still a Big Ten team, whose women's volleyball budget is probably bigger than our entire athletic department's budget....a split and I think we should be very happy, a sweep in Madison I think should send Laker nation into delirium. On another note, way to go on a 9-2 victory over Laurentian, I know they're a Canadien school and probably aren't up to par with D1 competition, but scoring 9 goals in a game is still pretty cool...the Laker's new-found scoring depth continues.

Comment

PP looked good last night.

8 different players scored goals last night -- which continues the trend of well-rounded scoring.

KK and Murdock split in net.

Murdock allowed two goals in the 3rd, when the issue was no longer in doubt.

Lakers outshot LU 57-14.

It was good performance lines 1-4, and from all the defensemen.

While it does not mean anything in the standings, it certainly should enhance the team's confidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X