Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    So you're not located in Wisconsin any more? You're living in the Soo (or close by) such that you can go to practices regularly?

Look, I don't know how good he is and have never claimed to know. Maybe he isn't that great in practice. I don't know. I don't live near the Soo so I don't go to practices; I try to make it up a couple of times a season to see the Lakers play. Some guys are great in practice but don't play that well during actual games. For some, it's the other way around. The only way to know how good Ravn really is (or isn't) is to play him in games. That hasn't happened and I don't expect it to happen, unless both Kapalka and Murdock are injured. Ravn's Junior stats were very good his last season, and that on a 5th place team. He also got a lot of praise from opposing coaches back then (as noted in news articles from the CCHL). We all know Junior stats don't necessarily translate over to college hockey all that well, but his credentials are good enough to question people saying he isn't any good based upon almost non-existent playing time at this level.
    You don't have to live in the Sault to watch a practice. Morning skates are usually open to the public when the team is on the road. You can also get to games early and watch the warm-up skate. It does not take long to figure out he is not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      I think we have a simple question here. Does anyone see this program getting any better under Roque ?
      I do think the recruiting has greatly improved over the past few seasons. The issue has been trying to get the better players to stay for 4 years. A lineup with Jean, Lain and Robinson in it would probably have the Lakers in 1st or 2nd place.

The Lakers have played many games with 6-7 freshman forwards. The record is near .500 at this point. I figured the record would be much worse than it is.

For those who don't like the coach, find a way to make a significant donation, and the administration may listen to you and do something about the situation. Constantly complaining about coaching and playing time on an anonymous fan forum really is just wasted time and effort.

Jim has always said in interviews to just ask him if you have a question. If you want to know why Ravn has never played, call or email him and ask.
      Last edited by Laker Dude; 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
        Anyone listen to the Hockey Show tonight? I missed it and they don't save it online.
        They talked a lot about the lack of success on Saturdays; Roque doesn't have any real explanation for it. He did say they just don't seem to execute on Saturdays as well as on Fridays in some of the little things. He thinks the effort is normally there. The most obvious difference is the struggle to score on Saturdays.

There was some discussion about the Pullar being upgraded even though that doesn't relate directly to Laker hockey.

The potential recruit (D) that visited Saturday has also visited Maine and will be visiting one more school (not named). It's just wait and see with him. If he does commit to LSSU, that would pretty much take care of recruiting for D for next season.

Someone asked about whether they watch high school games when recruiting. Roque said yes they do although not a lot (we do have a commit from a Soo High kid (Gauthier) for 2015).

Someone asked about whether they look at kids in the MJHL or SIJHL. Roque said we aren't recruiting in the MJHL but there are a couple of kids in the SIJHL that are of interest; younger guys who he thinks may play in the USHL next year. But we don't spend much time recruiting in the SIJHL.

Kapalka and Murdock were the guest players for the evening and Bill Crawford talked to them. Both said they would like to play hockey beyond LSSU if the opportunity presents itself.

They talked about the series this coming weekend at Northern. Roque said NMU plays a lot like Alaska Anchorage.

Comment

Let me guess. My number one line is playing somewhere else this year and if the players just keep trying to make something happen ,it will. The pucks will start to go in if they just get the bounces to go their way.
          Looks like Laker Dude took care of the number one line angle.

Comment

Laker Dude.Ciotti must be tearing up practice to start all season with his one goal. Laker Dude . I don't think jean,Lain,and Robinson would have the Lakers in first or second. The rest of the team just isn't that good according to Roque as he has said over and over his first line is somewhere else making no players good enough this year to be considered his first line.

Comment

The Lakers could be compared to the Tampa Bay Rays of baseball. Small market teams have to build to have success every 3-4 years, and will probably never be successful every year in today's world of scouting.

This was the year the Lakers were building towards and it did not work out due to early departures and injuries.

I would think the goal has to be to survive through next year around .500, and build towards 2015-2016 when they will have some experience in net, and 8-10 veteran offensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                The Lakers could be compared to the Tampa Bay Rays of baseball. Small market teams have to build to have success every 3-4 years, and will probably never be successful every year in today's world of scouting.

This was the year the Lakers were building towards and it did not work out due to early departures and injuries.

I would think the goal has to be to survive through next year around .500, and build towards 2015-2016 when they will have some experience in net, and 8-10 veteran offensemen.
                I take it you have not been following the team since Roque took over .

Comment

I forgot you were king of all Laker fans, and that only you decide what is discussed on here. If only we could all be as knowledgeable as you.

Comment

I take it you have not been following the team since Roque took over .
                    How much did you actually donate to the back to the attack program to help out with future recruiting? If it was under 1,000 you should not be complaining about coaching and recruiting.

Comment

How much did you actually donate to the back to the attack program to help out with future recruiting? If it was under 1,000 you should not be complaining about coaching
                      and recruiting.
                      I think any fan who pays to go to games has a right to give his opinion regardless if you think only the big donors have the right to say what they think about the team coaching and playing. So I take it that you think only the big time spenders have a right to voice their view of the coaching and playing. So if you pay to see the games but not a big spender you have to keep your mouth shut. So that is how life works in your world. if you are a big spender you have rights and no rights if you don't have the big money to give.

Comment

I think any fan who pays to go to games has a right to give his opinion regardless if you think only the big donors have the right to say what they think about the team coaching and playing. So I take it that you think only the big time spenders have a right to voice their view of the coaching and playing. So if you pay to see the games but not a big spender you have to keep your mouth shut. So that is how life works in your world. if you are a big spender you have rights and no rights if you don't have the big money to give.
                        I am fine with your opinion, mine just differs.

A season ticket costs about $200 for the season. In perspective a season ticket only buys 1 stick for the team, which is an insignificant contribution.

Comment

Most the fans that go to the Laker games are from town. Let us see what happens if the town people decide they are not happy with coaching or the play of the team. Lose those fans and the stadium will be dead . Wait,the stadium does seem dead way to often.
                          Last edited by sm2pk; 02-10-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I am fine with your opinion, mine just differs.

A season ticket costs about $200 for the season. In perspective a season ticket only buys 1 stick for the team, which is an insignificant contribution.
                            You sure are entitled!
                            What a guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Section P View Post
                              Three years ago I thought he needed to go. This year I am just discusted with the fact that he is still there. Next year I may take my season ticket money elsewhere. I know several people that already have.
                              UAA did it they hired Matt Thomas.
                              Mankato did it they hired Mike Hastings.
                              MTU did it they hired Mel Pearson.

Change is good just ask these other WCHA foes.

Comment

While I understand what your point, the Rays are generally in the hunt each year.
                                Go Lakers!

Comment

Working...
                                X