Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lake Superior State Hockey Lakers 2013-2014 (part II)

Has anyone noticed the fact the Lakers are in 9th place in a weaker league and in danger of not making the play-offs .One team is behind them . Alabama Huntsville is the only team behind Lake State . After 9 years is everyone happy with the coaching and progress of the team . I keep hearing the recruits are getting better and yet I keep seeing the play of the Lakers and the bottom half finishes are the same every year. Show me better play and better finishes and maybe I will agree the talent is getting better. But keep showing me second half disasters and bottom half finishes and I have to believe the talent has not improved enough to make a bit of difference over the last 9 years.

As for Roque. His best two seasons were his first two from teams that he took over that learned to play under Anzalone.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      Jackson bailed because he was offered a huge increase in pay . Jacksons last season the team was 30 and 8 with a couple ties. Had Jackson come back with the talent that was still there and players he recruited stayed , the Lakers would have still been a team at the top. Jacksons last season at Lake State was his second best winning per-centage behind his first season of coaching.
      Jackson did not want the program to fail.

And he did not leave Borek in charge to make sure it failed.

At the time of Jackson's leaving, he was highly frustrated with the NCAA and the collection of regulations, always being adjusted, which he felt were unfair and absurd. He was a highly sought coach who had a real chance to make an impact building and developing the USA Hockey brand ad was a driving force in building the US Development Program and -- very importantly -- locating that development program in Michigan instead of Minnesota. Recall that even the Lakers equipment manager was a highly-prized NHL prospect (Mr. Boyer), and the Lakers and Olympia Entertainment were on a first-name basis. After establishing the development program, he took over Guelph in the OHL and took that team the Memorial Cup Finals. This led to him finally getting his shot in the NHL.

I have personally always been bitter about him leaving -- I wish he would have stayed with LSSU for 20 years. But my bitterness is selfish -- I want him leading my program. I do not begrudge him the chances he took, and the amazing work he did for USA Hockey. I would agree that his work at Notre Dame is spotty, at lest on the ice. But he is doing at Notre Dame what he did at LSSU - building foundations, building facilities, and building fund raising for the program.

But for Jackson's hard work of the ice in the "glory years," who is to say that LSSU would not have folded its program like UIC, or Kent? Especially in the early days at the turn of the century when the entire school seemed destined to be shuttered?

History is history, though. Borek didn't get the job done, nor did Frank. Nor, it appears, is Roque. I was in favor of a coaching change last Spring. That is unchanged.

However, I am always hopeful that I am wrong -- and that the team can put something together in the second half and make us all proud.

What I am saying is this: We will likely have a long frustrating off-season ahead of us - lets worry about the Coach then. Right now, we need some wins.

Comment

Has anyone noticed the fact the Lakers are in 9th place in a weaker league and in danger of not making the play-offs .One team is behind them . Alabama Huntsville is the only team behind Lake State . After 9 years is everyone happy with the coaching and progress of the team . I keep hearing the recruits are getting better and yet I keep seeing the play of the Lakers and the bottom half finishes are the same every year. Show me better play and better finishes and maybe I will agree the talent is getting better. But keep showing me second half disasters and bottom half finishes and I have to believe the talent has not improved enough to make a bit of difference over the last 9 years.

As for Roque. His best two seasons were his first two from teams that he took over that learned to play under Anzalone.
        I think the Lakers will finish in 9th, in what is a very weak league. I would not be surprised if they only win 2-3 games the rest of the way. Split the next 3 series, and get swept by Mankato and Ferris. I hope I am wrong, but we go down this path every season.

What do others think will happen first, the Lakers replace Roque or the hockey program folds? I think the program will fold before we ever get a chance to see a new coach. It is tough to see the program continuing while the announced attendances have been down around 1,000 this year, and the actual attendances are probably around 500.

I think part of the low attendance is based on wanting to see changes in administration and coaching. The other part of the low attendances comes from the fact that in my opinion, the nWCHA is just not that exciting of hockey compared to other options. Besides Ferris, the nWCHA teams are basically equivalent to Atlantic Hockey teams.

I guess I will see what other fans feel about the nWCHA when the tournament in Grand Rapids arrives. Right now a ticket in the lower bowl for the Final Five is $95 for the full package (3 games-$32 per game). That is a 200% increase from what it cost to go to the CCHA tournament last year. Comparing the nWCHA tournament to the B10 tournament, it costs $130 for a lower bowl seat to the B10 (5 games-$26 per game).

Comment

[QUOTE=Lakerblue;5873677] History is history, though. Borek didn't get the job done, nor did Frank. Nor, it appears, is Roque. I was in favor of a coaching change last Spring. That is unchanged.

If your definition of "failure" is not winning a national championship, get real. Not many programs have national championships and "little" Lake State has two. We may never have another due to the size & location of the school. In additiona recent changes to the rules, especially adding the Clearinghouse, have made it even harder.

Comment

• [QUOTE=FRICKER;5874139]
            Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
            History is history, though. Borek didn't get the job done, nor did Frank. Nor, it appears, is Roque. I was in favor of a coaching change last Spring. That is unchanged.

If your definition of "failure" is not winning a national championship, get real. Not many programs have national championships and "little" Lake State has two. We may never have another due to the size & location of the school. In additiona recent changes to the rules, especially adding the Clearinghouse, have made it even harder.

Little Lake State has three of them. Most fans that are ready for change is because these Laker teams are so inconsistent from game to game. I do think the recruiting is better but the preparation and game coaching is a problem with team.

I tend to think along the same line as Lakerblue cheer for the team now and when the season is over let the Roque gripes begin.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

FRICKER, it is Laker Dude who is defining failure that way, not Lakerblue.

Comment

Seems the Roque supporters are no longer talking good things about the guy on this forum. My gut tells me he no longer has very many backing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  FRICKER, it is Laker Dude who is defining failure that way, not Lakerblue.
                  Thanks, Bill

Comment

Seems the Roque supporters are no longer talking good things about the guy on this forum. My gut tells me he no longer has very many backing him.
                    He has the backing of the right people up there and is going no where. The college has invested a long term commitment with his proven track record. Year 10 will be the best year yet under Jim Roque and crowds will once again be 1000 or even more. I expect a top 4 finish in the WCHA and a NCAA playoff birth like a lot of you people stated at the beginning of this season.
                    Last edited by Truth Serum; 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Before this season started, I was considered by some to be a "Roque apologist" or a "Roque supporter". I said I would give him to the end of the season to see what he could do in the WCHA. I had high hopes. I still plan on giving him the rest of the season before I make a final determination as to where I stand.

That being said, it is hard not to formulate a negative opinion at this point in time. Every week the Laker Hockey Show is like a broken record: "my top line is in the AHL"; "guys just have to keep working and the goals will come"; "injuries are coming at bad times"; and my personal favorite from last week; "It's pretty tough to make adjustments while the game is going. You really have to wait until the intermission to make any kind of changes" (paraphrasing here)

Coaches who can't make adjustments on the fly get their butts kicked. Coaches who stand behind the bench and say 10 words the whole game get their butts handed to them. Coaches who don't have set power plays and tell guys to go out there and make something happen get their butts kicked. See where I'm going with this?

Comment

The conversation will end when Coach Jim Roque gets his walking papers.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                          . My gut tells me he no longer has very many backing him.
                          Does Roque have support from the AD, President of LSSU, and hockey alumni?

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                            Does Roque have support from the AD, President of LSSU, and hockey alumni?
                            He is well connected with all of them, and the influential people at that college and in that town!

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              Has anyone noticed the fact the Lakers are in 9th place in a weaker league and in danger of not making the play-offs ..
                              Yes

Comment

We have another verbal commit for next season, Scott Patterson, who plays for Merritt Centennials of the BCHL. He's a forward.

http://www.merrittcentennials.com/le...layerID=830767

Comment

Working...
                                X