X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Considering UVM plays much better on the road then at home, if Hoffman outplays Hellebuyck again it's certainly a reasonable outcome. But then again reasonable has never been attached to your name.
    If we completely ignore the fact that Lowell has been lights out at home since early November, then sure.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
      If we completely ignore the fact that Lowell has been lights out at home since early November, then sure.
      Yeah, that was a pretty impressive win against AIC.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Yeah, that was a pretty impressive win against AIC.
        Well it was a win.

There's also the fact that in league games this year the quality of teams hosted for Vermont was significantly higher than the quality of teams visited. Unlike most other HE teams, this isn't a reasonable way to judge a team because the results weren't home-and-home.

In HE games, Vermont hosted Notre Dame (x2), Providence (x2), Amherst, Northeastern, BC (x2) and Lowell (x2) and went 3-7 in those. That's not a good record, but it's also a colossal strength of schedule: .637 overall winning percentage, 198-104-40, or .605, 112-69-24, counting the teams they played twice not counting the teams they played twice as two separate teams, which you really should.

In HE games, Vermont visited Maine (x2), Amherst, Northeastern, BU (x2), UNH (x2), Merrimack (x2) and went 7-3. They should have, because that road SOS is garbage (.435, 74-99-19, as single teams, or .457, 140-169-32 when counting teams played twice separately).

Overall, though, Vermont hasn't outshot its opponents significantly more on the road than at home (326-280 road, 307-268 home) which says they were playing better teams at the Gut but scoring less and giving up more, and could only really dominate bad teams on the scoreboard. That should tell you a lot more than the records alone.

And before you ask or think you have me in GOTCHA, the difference for Lowell home/road in terms of SOS is small (.531/.525 because they hosted ND and visited UVM for two each). However, in terms of performance, it's massive: shots were 324-298 at Tsongas, and goals were 30-17. Away from home, they were outshot 313-331, and outscored 24-26.

So Vermont is about the same at home and on the road in terms of open play against league opponents, while Lowell is significantly better at home. Doesn't bode well for you.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Well it was a win.
          Unlike your last game which was against hmmmm thats right Vermont.

Home ice is something but not everything. Didnt help you beat BC which was your last home game.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
            Unlike your last game which was against hmmmm thats right Vermont.

Home ice is something but not everything. Didnt help you beat BC which was your last home game.
            Didn't lose to BC at home either, which is something Vermont can't claim.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Well it was a win.

There's also the fact that in league games this year the quality of teams hosted for Vermont was significantly higher than the quality of teams visited. Unlike most other HE teams, this isn't a reasonable way to judge a team because the results weren't home-and-home.

In HE games, Vermont hosted Notre Dame (x2), Providence (x2), Amherst, Northeastern, BC (x2) and Lowell (x2) and went 3-7 in those. That's not a good record, but it's also a colossal strength of schedule: .637 overall winning percentage, 198-104-40, or .605, 112-69-24, counting the teams they played twice not counting the teams they played twice as two separate teams, which you really should.

In HE games, Vermont visited Maine (x2), Amherst, Northeastern, BU (x2), UNH (x2), Merrimack (x2) and went 7-3. They should have, because that road SOS is garbage (.435, 74-99-19, as single teams, or .457, 140-169-32 when counting teams played twice separately).

Overall, though, Vermont hasn't outshot its opponents significantly more on the road than at home (326-280 road, 307-268 home) which says they were playing better teams at the Gut but scoring less and giving up more, and could only really dominate bad teams on the scoreboard. That should tell you a lot more than the records alone.

And before you ask or think you have me in GOTCHA, the difference for Lowell home/road in terms of SOS is small (.531/.525 because they hosted ND and visited UVM for two each). However, in terms of performance, it's massive: shots were 324-298 at Tsongas, and goals were 30-17. Away from home, they were outshot 313-331, and outscored 24-26.

So Vermont is about the same at home and on the road in terms of open play against league opponents, while Lowell is significantly better at home. Doesn't bode well for you.

So when do you and Jcarter fast forward to who would win a fight.. might mouse or superman..?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                Didn't lose to BC at home either, which is something Vermont can't claim.
                Vermont didnt lose to Sacred Heart at home either....but that was not the point.

I was not the one saying my team was so much better at home...boy you guys really need to learn how to read.

Comment

A new recruit.

USHR‏@USHRhockey·
                  '96 Jr. F Alex Esposito, star of Loomis' win in Large School final, has committed to UVM, one of the colleges watching at Yale 8 days ago.

Comment

Was looking for video of Chris McCarthy hit on UMass player in which he knocked him over the boards, and on to his own bench much to the dismay of Umass coach Micheleto. Did nesn catch it? As I recall he hit him, knocked him over the boards, and then sort of stuffed him down.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
                      Was looking for video of Chris McCarthy hit on UMass player in which he knocked him over the boards, and on to his own bench much to the dismay of Umass coach Micheleto. Did nesn catch it? As I recall he hit him, knocked him over the boards, and then sort of stuffed him down.
                      I was looking as well. It was the 6'6" dude. If you find post, I'll do the same. It was great!

Comment

Vermont didnt lose to Sacred Heart at home either....but that was not the point.

I was not the one saying my team was so much better at home...boy you guys really need to learn how to read.
                        Speaking of learning how to read, how does a loss to open the season in October contradict this statement?

Originally posted by patronick

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Speaking of learning how to read, how does a loss to open the season in October contradict this statement?
                          So what your saying is what happens in the past isnt as important as what happens more resently?

If so then my point on your last opponet (VT) stands.

If not you just contradicted yourself.

You pick.

Comment

So what your saying is what happens in the past isnt as important as what happens more resently?

If so then my point on your last opponet (VT) stands.

If not you just contradicted yourself.

You pick.
                            Patronick says that Lowell has been lights out at home since early November.
                            You bring up a game from October.
                            Yet I'm the one that contradicted myself?

Comment

Patronick says that Lowell has been lights out at home since early November.
                              You bring up a game from October.
                              Yet I'm the one that contradicted myself?
                              Except he was responding to YOU not Patronick... you can tell this because it says "originally posted by ScottK"

Comment

The one fact that is being overlooked here is that UVM has nothing to lose and everything to gain. UML should beat UVM... its the 2 seed versus the 7 seed... at Tsongas where UML has been "lights out" since november. Should be two easy wins for Lowell. They should come out playing hard, determined and to some degree at ease.

The other obvious thing missing in this discussion is that UVM should be heading to Lowell with some confidence after nearly taking 3 points from the 2nd place team. On the other hand Lowell should be a bit shaken... they very nearly came out of their last weekend of play winless against the very team they are playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X