X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Originally posted by UVM - Bruin View Post
    As long as MSL doesn't go to Pitt, I don't care if he goes or stays. Neither NYR or the TBL are beating the Bruins.

Good points about Santa and who's starting in net, maybe the coaching staff has already decided. As long as they pick one of them and stick with it i'll respect whoever they go with. Again, no platooning in the playoffs.

Agreed about the Gutt, but it's not worth not going to the games. I only see them on the road (which means I'm seeing more games at nicer places than the Gutt), but I wish UVM sucked it up and built something like UNH's rink or even BC's (combination seats & bleachers). Ideally they would build a rink like BU's, but I don't that fits into what they want. Nevertheless, the Gutt is still a great place for college hockey. Better that than nothing.
    To hell with that.. I want UND's ..now that was a nice place..

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
      To hell with that.. I want UND's ..now that was a nice place..
      It all comes down to cost....

North Dakota's rink was $100M+ to build

BU's rink was probably the same (they spend $225M on the entire student village)

BC's rink was $25M to build in 1986

UNH's rink was $30M in 1995

Comment

I'm with MSL on being upset with Yzerman. Scoring title last season for god's sake and keeping that team going without stamkos, he should have been on Team Canada from the get go. But he should have named more than one team to go to. No chance he moves because NYR know they have no competition. Could have named 5 teams that would have liked to have him, then NYR would have had to up the ante and he could still have pulled an Iginla and gone to NYR. He screwed himself by not giving his GM negotiating leverage.

Neither Hoffman nor Santa are good enough frankly. Either one is a step below the other teams. Until one gets hot and STEALS a game (something we have not experienced since Madore freshman year??) I would not be afraid to keep rotating them.

I would leave top line as is but get Decenzo out there in place of White.

Need a split minimum this weekend. Tough but doable. Shame students are gone again, total shame. Go Cats.

Comment

It all comes down to cost....

North Dakota's rink was $100M+ to build

BU's rink was probably the same (they spend $225M on the entire student village)

BC's rink was $25M to build in 1986

UNH's rink was $30M in 1995
          Oh I realize the cost.. just saying its a great place. No way that will be build unless Phish wants a local arena and will pay to build

Comment

Tough loss tonight....14 second from getting an all important point. Very frustrating.

A couple points though:

- Hoffman played out of his mind, kept them in the game (especially with that 3rd period save) and almost stole them a tie. By no means was the goal his fault. I think you ride Hoffman again tomorrow night and for the playoffs.
            - I hate "moral" victories, but at least this showed UVM can play with UML. The game could have went either way. With the way they played against BC and now UML, I'm encouaged for tomorrow and the playoffs.

Comment

Tough loss tonight....14 second from getting an all important point. Very frustrating.

A couple points though:

- Hoffman played out of his mind, kept them in the game (especially with that 3rd period save) and almost stole them a tie. By no means was the goal his fault. I think you ride Hoffman again tomorrow night and for the playoffs.
              - I hate "moral" victories, but at least this showed UVM can play with UML. The game could have went either way. With the way they played against BC and now UML, I'm encouaged for tomorrow and the playoffs.
              Listening to the post game conference with Sneddon on the ride home he stated Hoff would be in net tomorrow. Have to say I disagree with UVM showing they can play with UML... they didn't show that tonight... They showed if they are giving it their all they could win, but what they showed tonight was if they play at 80% compete level they can ride their goaltender to an OT loss.

They also were not nearly physical enough with Lowell.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Listening to the post game conference with Sneddon on the ride home he stated Hoff would be in net tomorrow. Have to say I disagree with UVM showing they can play with UML... they didn't show that tonight... They showed if they are giving it their all they could win, but what they showed tonight was if they play at 80% compete level they can ride their goaltender to an OT loss.

They also were not nearly physical enough with Lowell.
                We agree. Didn't win one battle tonight. Lowell clogged up the ice and we played right into their hands but just getting the puck and firing it of the glass. Gotta start playing puck possession. See what adjustments they make.

Didn't like the effort. Wasn't the same energy the team is capable of

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
                  We agree. Didn't win one battle tonight. Lowell clogged up the ice and we played right into their hands but just getting the puck and firing it of the glass. Gotta start playing puck possession. See what adjustments they make.

Didn't like the effort. Wasn't the same energy the team is capable of
                  Totally agree. Way too much dump and chase, which I hate unless you're up big in the third period. In a tie game to continuously give Lowell the puck via dump n chase is foolish. UVM didn't seem to have its normal speed. McCarthy line was held in check. Chris got schooled in the faceoff circle (won only 8 of 22), whereas UML's Maniccia (#17) won 14 of 18, many of which were key in offensive or defensive zone and led directly to Lowell possession. Hoffman was the difference between a tie or the eventual OT loss. Could've been 3-0 loss. I will say UVM played much better after the 1st period. The Cats dropped to a tie for 14th in Pairwise with the loss. It's one thing to "hang with" the elite teams, it's another thing to beat them - UVM isn't there yet. Need a win tonight!

Comment

Can someone please beat into Hamilton's head to stop making fancy passes in your own zone. Too many times he had the safe
                    off the wall out but tried a risky up the middle pass. He had at least half a dozen inzone turnovers last night.

Dont like the bleachers bring your own seat back, the guy that sits next to me brings a folding seat that gives him support, but come
                    on there are alot worse things in life to deal with that a bleacher seat.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
                      Totally agree. Way too much dump and chase, which I hate unless you're up big in the third period. In a tie game to continuously give Lowell the puck via dump n chase is foolish. UVM didn't seem to have its normal speed. McCarthy line was held in check. Chris got schooled in the faceoff circle (won only 8 of 22), whereas UML's Maniccia (#17) won 14 of 18, many of which were key in offensive or defensive zone and led directly to Lowell possession. Hoffman was the difference between a tie or the eventual OT loss. Could've been 3-0 loss. I will say UVM played much better after the 1st period. The Cats dropped to a tie for 14th in Pairwise with the loss. It's one thing to "hang with" the elite teams, it's another thing to beat them - UVM isn't there yet. Need a win tonight!
                      Wait I missed the 8 draws he won. Honestly don't think Sneddon has him at center for face offs. In critical draws he brings in Fallon. Also "super" Mario might want to consider a forecheck or winning a wall battle. Otherwise he will go from Mario to Luigi. Two wins and in.

Comment

Good hockey game. Bad officiating. Two gifts from Lowell (defenseman trips up leading to 2 on 1 goal, Helleybuck gives up a Paliotta wrister from the red line). Mario with a quick release, heavy snipe. God I hope he's OK after that late hit in final minute. Hoffman excellent back to back. Huge win, UMass next Friday, then hopefully a rematch @ Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
                          Good hockey game. Bad officiating. Two gifts from Lowell (defenseman trips up leading to 2 on 1 goal, Helleybuck gives up a Paliotta wrister from the red line). Mario with a quick release, heavy snipe. God I hope he's OK after that late hit in final minute. Hoffman excellent back to back. Huge win, UMass next Friday, then hopefully a rematch @ Lowell.
                          I would like to see Brickley more in front of the net. He is tough to move off, does well in the corners when he isn't boarding someone. If you wanted to shake things up put him at center and park him in front.

Comment

Full credit to Hoffman, he was great in goal for UVM this weekend.
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Amazing game for the Lady Cats if you have not seen the highlights you gotta check them out.

Cant think anyone at Lowell really wants to see this team in two weeks.

Strange note coming into tonights game Vermont had played 8 straight games in which the road team won, glad
                              that streak is over.
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

That play in game helps. IF UVM wins they jump Cornell in Pairwise... that one slot can be all the difference depending on how this plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X