This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

I watched Lowell play both of its games at UVM's holiday tourney (they didn't play UVM in the round robin format), and was thoroughly impressed by their speed, skill, depth, defense, physicality, and goaltending. I don't remember seeing any flaws, and was particularly impressed with Hellebuyck. I think UVM will have it's hands full this weekend, although I am optimistic they can come out of the weekend with some points (my guess is it's a split). Regardless of the outcomes, I think it will help the cats playing such a quality opponent the weekend prior to the first round. Let's hope we get some secondary scoring. Fallon played good on Saturday (against weak MC), looked better in the faceoff circle. I'd like to see him shoot more (seems like he has a pass first mentality). Shaw's game has really improved as the season has gone on. Should be a fun couple of nights Fri and Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenNGold View Post
      I watched Lowell play both of its games at UVM's holiday tourney (they didn't play UVM in the round robin format), and was thoroughly impressed by their speed, skill, depth, defense, physicality, and goaltending. I don't remember seeing any flaws, and was particularly impressed with Hellebuyck.
      Don't put this in writing for all the UML fans to see.... just quietly keep it to yourself
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I didn't realize that Sneddon was on the committee this year. I don' t know if that helps or hurts UVM. I would say it helps, as those guys would have to look Sneddon in the face after they left UVM out, assuming it was close. I assume Sneddon would excuse himself during any UVM talk.

NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey committee:

• Jim Knowlton, Rensselaer athletic director (chair)

• Brian Faison, North Dakota athletic director

• Tom McGinnis, Minnesota associate athletic director

• Mel Pearson, Michigan Tech coach

• Brian Riley, Army coach

• Kevin Sneddon, Vermont coach

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Who said I live in VT old man? And don't kid anybody, you don't have friends anywhere let alone VT.
          Whooooooosh. Again.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM - Bruin View Post
            I didn't realize that Sneddon was on the committee this year. I don' t know if that helps or hurts UVM. I would say it helps, as those guys would have to look Sneddon in the face after they left UVM out, assuming it was close. I assume Sneddon would excuse himself during any UVM talk.

NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey committee:

• Jim Knowlton, Rensselaer athletic director (chair)

• Brian Faison, North Dakota athletic director

• Tom McGinnis, Minnesota associate athletic director

• Mel Pearson, Michigan Tech coach

• Brian Riley, Army coach

• Kevin Sneddon, Vermont coach
            While the Committee may move teams around, there is no subjectivity in teams making the field. So UVM either makes it or they don't ... no matter how close it is.

Comment

BTW is there a combination that puts UVM 4th? I don't see one the best I get them to is 5th. The lose the tie breakers with NU and PC so I can't get them up to 4th with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                BTW is there a combination that puts UVM 4th? I don't see one the best I get them to is 5th. The lose the tie breakers with NU and PC so I can't get them up to 4th with that.
                You right, the best UVM can get is 5th. UVM wants either Maine or PC to sweep the other & MC to sweep UNH. As long as that happens, with a UVM sweep of UML, UVM should get the 5th seed (assumng my math is right).

That's a lot to go UVM's way, most likely they are looking at a 6/7 seed.

Comment

Nice to see some chatter on here for a change. While some of the UML posters are usually super abrasive - you know who - I think some of the UVM posters have taken the petty attacks on their posts to a new low. Why don't we let this coming weekend speak for itself.

FWIW - my $.02 on the UVM netminding. It's a difficult call - neither of them are highly impressive and neither has stolen a game this year in the way that UVM has suffered games stolen by the opposing netminder. Having said that, they have both been average or just below average, not awful by any stretch (awful was Madore two seasons ago). Because Hoffman seemed to struggle at home on Friday's I would probably go with Santa on Friday and come back with Hoffman on Saturday. I have not seen a game yet where you HAD to bring the Friday night UVM netminder back the next night because he was so good. If they could eliminate the soft goals UVM would be a lot better off. UML will win the goaltending duel no doubt, UVM will need to win the puck battles to secure points this weekend.

Would hate to see NCAA bid slip away but must take at least one game this weekend (or two ties, very possible) and win the one game playoff and then at least one game of best of 3 in next round away at stronger opponent. The one playoff game is scary, as poor as BU has played would not want to play them. The favorite will be tight and UVM has little recent playoff experience on this roster. would feel better with fifth place finish and avoid the play in game even though it puts you on the road the next weekend. I like UVM's chances at Maine or UNH, not so much at UML, BC or PC.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    While some of the UML posters are usually super abrasive - you know who - I think some of the UVM posters have taken the petty attacks on their posts to a new low.
                    Always something to strive for...

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    Would hate to see NCAA bid slip away but must take at least one game this weekend (or two ties, very possible) and win the one game playoff and then at least one game of best of 3 in next round away at stronger opponent. The one playoff game is scary, as poor as BU has played would not want to play them. The favorite will be tight and UVM has little recent playoff experience on this roster. would feel better with fifth place finish and avoid the play in game even though it puts you on the road the next weekend. I like UVM's chances at Maine or UNH, not so much at UML, BC or PC.
                    The way I see it is UVM wants a play in game. Right now our movement in the PWR is solely based on RPI, another game against a weaker opponent will raise our RPI and make things a little more secure in the PWR.

Example, if they lose their RPI drops, but that's the end of it... no more movement.

If they win, their RPI goes up a bit and would then drop with losses to the QF team but the bump from the play in would cushion it.

Or they go in as a 5th seed and then have the chance to lose two games to #4, in this scenario you do not get the play in game as a cushion in the RPI.

However, I think PC is the best case scenario... they are trying to fall apart. Its unlikely they will make the NCAA and they are 2-4-1 in their last 7 with the two wins coming against UMA. That would be the preferable match up, although with 2 games AT maine they will be in the play in round too.

Comment

With two wins against MC UVM drops a spot in the latest USCHO poll I'm glad teams aren't selected to the tourney based on polls.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        With two wins against MC UVM drops a spot in the latest USCHO poll I'm glad teams aren't selected to the tourney based on polls.
                        Not to mention they were road wins. Go figure.....

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                          Not to mention they were road wins. Go figure.....
                          The polls are laughable... Mercyhurst and AF are receiving votes for Pete's sake...mired in the 35/36th positions in the pairwise, yet RPI who is 11 positions higher in the PWR doesn't get a vote.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why they even bother with polls. No matter, as long as they don't count for anything other then fan forum banter then so be it.

Comment

UVM is HE's team of the week with their sweep of MC and Puskarich is rookie of the week ... again.

Congrats to both

Comment

What day is the play in game assuming we end up in one?

Comment

• Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                What day is the play in game assuming we end up in one?
                                March 7 or 8

Comment

Working...
                                X