PDA

View Full Version : Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

HOCKEYGUY23
02-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I still think Fallon is hurt, he is just missing something lately. However, other than McCarthy, Fallon is our best two way forward. He's asked to do a lot on the defensive end (killing penalties, digging out pucks out of the corner etc) than Puskarich (who basically has to play his high boards and then break out of the zone).

Last thing on Fallon, I think being taken away from McCarthy has really hurt his game offensively. In order to have two top lines, maybe switch Shaw and Bradley? Although you'd hate to mess up the chemistry that McCarthy/Bradley/Super Mario have right now.

Fallon isn't hurt. He was playing with McCarthy and unfortunately they had to be split which Sneddon said was to give more balance down the middle. Look at McCarthys PPG with and without Fallon. His rose, Fallon dropped. Look at Bradley his PPG went up when he played with McCarthy.

Now McCarthy's went up because as center he has the puck more often. He and Fallon are by far the best total players on the team and I think Fallon had play center elsewhere for more balance. When the game or situation warrants they are out together, but let's not make more of this, there is one center per line and we have two really good ones

jcarter7669
02-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Fallon isn't hurt. He was playing with McCarthy and unfortunately they had to be split which Sneddon said was to give more balance down the middle. Look at McCarthys PPG with and without Fallon. His rose, Fallon dropped. Look at Bradley his PPG went up when he played with McCarthy.

Now McCarthy's went up because as center he has the puck more often. He and Fallon are by far the best total players on the team and I think Fallon had play center elsewhere for more balance. When the game or situation warrants they are out together, but let's not make more of this, there is one center per line and we have two really good ones

Either way I think it's safe to say that Fallon has not played to his potential with the line he is on. Whether he gets moved back up onto the first line or to some other line he really needs to move... its just not productive to keep him where he is.

For my part I want to see him with Puskarich. Next season McCarthy is gone and Fallon is almost certain to be centering Puskarich. It would be good to get those two together so they can gel some. It would have been nice to do that before we got the last weekend of the season. As you mentioned McCarthy right now makes anyone better... Puskarich is the best rooking forward in the league... maybe it would give more scoring depth to switch Markinson and Puskarich... or someone that can move up produce with McCarthy and have Puskarich on a separate line so that there is more then one line that is a threat. I do not believe that Puskarich is where he is SOLELY due to McCarthy. He certainly benefits but the kid can find the back of the net. There are other very good set up guys on this team. Either way at this point it's a little late to be shuffling lines, but at the same time making teams defense focus on more then one line would also be a good thing.

Cat lover
02-26-2014, 08:07 AM
If it aint broke dont fix it.

This team is scoring 3 or more goals a game right now, why mess with that just to maybe get Fallon going.

Kdaddy1968
02-26-2014, 08:30 AM

This team is scoring 3 or more goals a game right now, why mess with that just to maybe get Fallon going.

Pretty much my thoughts. Against MC the other lines had a change to step up and didn't do much. Fallon has all of September and October next year to gel with a new line..

jcarter7669
02-26-2014, 08:43 AM

Because a one line team won't get you very far in the NCAA Tourney ?

Jayden_Stoff
02-26-2014, 09:40 AM

I'd say we're a two line team right now. The '59' has shocked impressed me with their abilities to keep the opposing top lines in check which generating scoring chances.

I'd like to see a 'scoring line', 'shut down line', 'beat you up line', and 'energy line'. Obviously each line needs to contribute both ways but bring something special to the game. Brickley / Shaw / Lenz, they do a decent job on the 'beat you up' aspect of the game.

jcarter7669
02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
I'd say we're a two line team right now. The '59' has shocked impressed me with their abilities to keep the opposing top lines in check which generating scoring chances.

I'd like to see a 'scoring line', 'shut down line', 'beat you up line', and 'energy line'. Obviously each line needs to contribute both ways but bring something special to the game. Brickley / Shaw / Lenz, they do a decent job on the 'beat you up' aspect of the game.

I will disagree. The 5'9 is a great shut down line and is impressive as all get out, but an offensive threat they are not. They throw a lot of shots on net, but 95% of them are a wrister from the blue line, with no traffic, and no chance of going in. Until they stop and actually set something up, start skating in and attempting a move on the goalie they will not be an offensive threat... I would also consider them the energy line.

So IMO

we have one scoring line
we have one one shut down / energy line

and we have two lines that aren't really threats, may take a penalty, may throw out a big hit here and there, but mostly give the other two lines a chance to score. There is no doubt that Sneddon was looking for a second offensive line when he moved Fallon off the #1 line... it just didn't work. Time is running out to find one... and I think this team will make the NCAA tourney... they just won't make it out of round one unless scoring is a bit more balanced.

Here are the stats in case anyone is interested ...

McCarthy, Puskarich, Bradley = 40g (53%)
Fallon, Shaw, Markinson = 15g (20%)
Forgione, Turk, Massar = 12g (16% )
Brickley, White, Lenz 8g = (10%)

Do we have two offensive lines? No not really... we have what Hoky would call a "one trick pony"

jcarter7669
02-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Perhaps this illustrates it even better... in the last 10 games there have been 25 goals scored by "regular" lines... Here is the break down...

#3,#20,#21 16 of 25 goals = 64%
#23, #19,#11 3 of 25 goals = 12%
#22, #17, #6 3 of 25 goals = 12%
#7, #8, #16 3 of 25 goals = 12%

snwbrdr
02-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Either way I think it's safe to say that Fallon has not played to his potential with the line he is on. Whether he gets moved back up onto the first line or to some other line he really needs to move... its just not productive to keep him where he is.

For my part I want to see him with Puskarich. Next season McCarthy is gone and Fallon is almost certain to be centering Puskarich. It would be good to get those two together so they can gel some. It would have been nice to do that before we got the last weekend of the season. As you mentioned McCarthy right now makes anyone better... Puskarich is the best rooking forward in the league... maybe it would give more scoring depth to switch Markinson and Puskarich... or someone that can move up produce with McCarthy and have Puskarich on a separate line so that there is more then one line that is a threat. I do not believe that Puskarich is where he is SOLELY due to McCarthy. He certainly benefits but the kid can find the back of the net. There are other very good set up guys on this team. Either way at this point it's a little late to be shuffling lines, but at the same time making teams defense focus on more then one line would also be a good thing.

It would be pretty foolish to break up the first line right now, glad you are not the coach. I do agree with possibly shuffling the other lines a bit to see if there is a combination that improves scoring. Reynolds will be in the mix for the top line next year also, figure Puskarich, Fallon and Reynolds are the top forwards next year with Bradley, Shaw, Forgionne right behind

jcarter7669
02-26-2014, 06:16 PM
It would be pretty foolish to break up the first line right now, glad you are not the coach.

Depends if your happy with making the NCAA or if you want to try and win it. I'm glad your content with being a participant, I'm not

FiveHole12
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Haha... this looks like the BC thread a few weeks ago.

If UVM is a one trick pony, you've got company. ;) :)

Kdaddy1968
02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Depends if your happy with making the NCAA or if you want to try and win it. I'm glad your content with being a participant, I'm not

I think he is right. Juggle the other 3 lines to get something going.

Cat lover
02-26-2014, 09:32 PM

Lets make the tourney before worrying if we can win it.

And if my memory is correct didnt both final four teams have a big line that did most of the scoring.

HOCKEYGUY23
02-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Really move Markinson to McCarthy line? The same Markinson with no hands? So take your best setup man and remove all the finishers from the playmaker? Then put Mario with Fallon, the same Fallon who tends to over handle the puck and hasn't been a facilitator.

Second it makes no sense when you say you want Fallon and Mario to gel for next year, yet your worrying about this years NCAA tourney.

Lastly, since the changes they lost 4 games, Colgate who had beaten #1 on the road, BC and then the total team crap game vs BU.

It ain't broke and in the NCAA I'd like to see teams focus on shutting them done like Mack tried on Sayurday and then the others jumped in and scored.

jcarter7669
02-27-2014, 05:07 AM
Lets make the tourney before worrying if we can win it.

It will be a little late at that point don't you think?

Really move Markinson to McCarthy line? The same Markinson with no hands? So take your best setup man and remove all the finishers from the playmaker? Then put Mario with Fallon, the same Fallon who tends to over handle the puck and hasn't been a facilitator.

Fallon has done a fine job centering McCarthy and Puskarich all through the beginning of the season why would he all of a sudden not do a good job centering just Puskarich?

And yes the same Markinson, he really needs to be producing more then he is. As a foot note we should acknowledge that Markinson (with no hands as you put it) has managed to pot 7 goals this season... tied for third on the team with.............. that's right, McCarthy's other wing Bradley.

Anyways, since none of us our the coach and it's clear we disagree on this, so be it.

Moving on....

catmandoo
02-27-2014, 09:01 AM
It will be a little late at that point don't you think?

Fallon has done a fine job centering McCarthy and Puskarich all through the beginning of the season why would he all of a sudden not do a good job centering just Puskarich?

And yes the same Markinson, he really needs to be producing more then he is. As a foot note we should acknowledge that Markinson (with no hands as you put it) has managed to pot 7 goals this season... tied for third on the team with.............. that's right, McCarthy's other wing Bradley.

Anyways, since none of us our the coach and it's clear we disagree on this, so be it.

Moving on....

Keep in mind 3 of Markinsons goals are ENG.

Kdaddy1968
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
And in happier new..

Around Hockey East
ē Congratulations to Vermont alums Patrick Sharp and Martin St. Louis, who each captured the Olympic gold medal last weekend. Vermont was the only school with two Olympic medalists in menís hockey this year.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/02/27/the-best-and-worst-possible-outcomes-for-hockey-east-teams-on-the-final-weekend/#ixzz2uU04SQdc

Cat lover
02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Maybe this will but the move Fallon talk to an end.

First line results this year

Bradley/Fallon/McCarthy 2 games 1g

Brickley/Fallon/McCarthy 4 games 2g/6a/8pts
0.5 goals per game 1.5 assists

Puskarich/Fallon/McCarthy 12games 13g/22a/35pts
1.1 gpg 1.8apg 2.9ppg

Puskarich/McCarthy/Bradley 11games 21g/29a/50pts
1.9 pgp 2.6apg 4.5ppg

And consider the schedule was tougher for the last group

GreenNGold
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Wondering what people think about Marty St. Louis supposedly requesting a trade from the Lightning? Apparently he was upset with Steve Y over his initial omission from Team Canada. The NY Rangers are the only team he wants to go to. IMO 1. Yzerman isn't the only guy picking the team. 2. Team Canada is the best/deepest roster pool in the world. 3.He hardly played at all in Sochi. He comes off looking like an entitled jerk IF this is all true (he didn't deny it when asked yesterday), and definitely takes a hit in people's perception of his character. Why would he want to go ONLY to the Rangers? You think they're getting through the Bruins or Penguins in the East. Hopefully he has a change of heart, and makes nice with Yzerman because TB has a nice thing going. Oh and Stamkos, arguably the best goal scorer in the league (Ovechkin), is returning from injury next week. Strange/Disappointing.

Kdaddy1968
02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Wondering what people think about Marty St. Louis supposedly requesting a trade from the Lightning? Apparently he was upset with Steve Y over his initial omission from Team Canada. The NY Rangers are the only team he wants to go to. IMO 1. Yzerman isn't the only guy picking the team. 2. Team Canada is the best/deepest roster pool in the world. 3.He hardly played at all in Sochi. He comes off looking like an entitled jerk IF this is all true (he didn't deny it when asked yesterday), and definitely takes a hit in people's perception of his character. Why would he want to go ONLY to the Rangers? You think they're getting through the Bruins or Penguins in the East. Hopefully he has a change of heart, and makes nice with Yzerman because TB has a nice thing going. Oh and Stamkos, arguably the best goal scorer in the league (Ovechkin), is returning from injury next week. Strange/Disappointing.

Or he just didn't want to address it one way or another. Sometimes the best thing to do is say nothing. And on the flip side if your boss doesn't think enough of you to push for you to make the team then how much faith does he have in you?