PDA

View Full Version : Vermont 2013-2014 Season Thread : The Golden Year

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

jcarter7669
11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Lack of competition? They scheduled strong with Minnesota State and Miami but Minnesota State hasn't been doing too hot.

I was referring to Minnesota State... AIC.... BU this season (at least at this point). It's not a slight to PC... you play whose on the schedule. PC has and they have won, so its great for the program. Makes it hard to judge though from an outside perspective

HOCKEYGUY23
11-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Does it really matter who the player is or how much they play? What you are in essence saying is that UVM had had a great history recruiting "gutless competitors"? No other team in all of NCAA Hockey is anywhere close to UVM with the amount of departures in the last 4-5 years. Pick, choose and criticize the reasons for departure all you want. If you believe in every instance that it is the fault of the player because they were "gutless" you are so far off the mark its not funny. Think of who you are referring to with that stupid comment. It is a systemic problem and now unfortunately becoming a part of the culture at UVM and it points right to the top. Say what you want but all of those players ended up here in Burlington because Sneddon wanted them.

I was actually pleased to read Ted's article and Sneddons comments this week about the shake-up in the lineup. It is the first time I have seen Sneddon actually hold his supposed star players accountable in years. Maybe he is finally coming to the conclusion that the lack of success over the past few years points more directly at him and less at the players. I applaud it and would not change the line-up again until they lose.

My point in asking who it was was to see if this is a person recruited by Michelleto and Gasparini. I think for the most part they were mediocre talent evaluators and brought guys that didn't compete. Hence my term "gutless".

rufus22
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
I was referring to Minnesota State... AIC.... BU this season (at least at this point). It's not a slight to PC... you play whose on the schedule. PC has and they have won, so its great for the program. Makes it hard to judge though from an outside perspective

I agree, a close look at Providence's schedule suggests they have not yet proven they are all that. They whipped on some teams that don't look so hot (AIC Merrimack, Minn State), split with a .500 team (BU), and won (in OT) and tied against 7-3-1 Miami, which all looks pretty good I'm still in wait and see mode on them. I hope they don't convince me by burying the Cats this weekend!

Jayden_Stoff
11-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Why does UVM seem to get a transfer student each year?

Jayden_Stoff
11-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I'd guess DeCenzo or Mountain for the December departure. I hope it's not Markison. Where did that info come from?

Kdaddy1968
11-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Can they just decline the PP? (3 shorthanded against this year .....and climbing)

Cat lover
11-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Outplay a top5 team and lose again...ouch

Voss is surely not up to ref D1 hockey. Defensive play of night gets 2 min penalty

Seems like every mistake last night Prov was able to score on as the saying goes
good teams find ways to win when they dont play well.

D-men played great and didnt show any signs of slowing playing only 5 for almost the
entire game. But someone please tell Nick to shoot the puck please. I would take
a point shot thru alot of traffic to a low percentage one timer from a bad angle with
under a minute left.

Whats happening in BU? 7-0 to Maine? The coach did change but did all the player too?

catmandoo
11-16-2013, 02:54 PM
My point in asking who it was was to see if this is a person recruited by Michelleto and Gasparini. I think for the most part they were mediocre talent evaluators and brought guys that didn't compete. Hence my term "gutless". You mean like Lenz, Brickley, Luuko, Paliotta, Pattyn, Walls, and Brunneteau? Or just the other Guys they brought in?

Should have listened to me! :) Puts em back in line-up and another miss guided stupid penalty that eventually cost them the game.

Catatonic
11-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking of bringing a fork to tonight's game. That way if Brickley takes another penalty when we're already a man down (it will be the 4th time in 9 days if he does) I can gouge my eyes out. I don't care if the refs made some so-so calls, he can't put himself in those situations.

coots01
11-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but are you (Catmandoo) calling this group of players "gutless"? I think that group is probably the most hard working on the team and would go to the wall to try and win.

catmandoo
11-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but are you (Catmandoo) calling this group of players "gutless"? I think that group is probably the most hard working on the team and would go to the wall to try and win.

I am not calling any players "gutless" I took offense to the person that did. He was saying that Gasparini and Micheletto recruited no competitive players in general but yet they recruited all the guys I mentioned. I agree they all work hard. All of these kids do in order to get anywhere close to this level of play. My point has always been that its not the players its the style of play and the coaching that is the clear reason for the lack of success. If your only objective is to shut down teams defensively and run around hitting everyone even if they are not in the play anymore then you end up with what we got...a couple of low scoring boring wins and alot of losses because offense is and has not been part of the equation. And a side effect of that style is undisciplined penalties with little or no consequences. We can't be close to BC in penalty minutes, as we are this year, and expect to win because there is no emphasis on the offensive end of the rink. In the last 6 years, if we give up 2 or more goals in a game, there is a 90% chance we will lose. You can't win consistently in Hockey East that way. Other programs (Providence, UMASS Lowell) have figured that out but it took new coaches to get them there. As one example, Brickley came in as a player that could put up big points but the constant attention to "big hits" and a complete lack of neutral Ice strategy, and a disastrous iteration of a power play has molded him into something else. I sincerely feel bad for the kid. In my opinion, in any other system he is a 30-40 goal scorer this year. I could be wrong but I have watched way to much hockey in my life to conclude anything else.

J.D.
11-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Uh when's the last time anybody scored 40 in college hockey? Don't get me wrong, I agree he'd probably produce more in another system but saying he'd score 30-40 "in any other system" is pretty ridiculous IMO.

coots01
11-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks Catmandoo. I had a feeling that was where you were going with your comment but thought everyone else would benefit from a clarification. Another tough loss for the Cats. Beaten by an outstanding goalie again, thought we had some good chances just could not finish again. Hope Walls is not hurt too badly cant afford any long term injuries on D.

catmandoo
11-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Uh when's the last time anybody scored 40 in college hockey? Don't get me wrong, I agree he'd probably produce more in another system but saying he'd score 30-40 "in any other system" is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Fair enough a bit of an exaggeration to make my point..sorry. But the answer to your question is: Austin Smith 2011, Mat Frattin, 2010, Cam Atkinsen Nathan Gerbe, and Kolarick in 2008, Ryan Jones 2007, Junior Lessard 2006, Thomas Vanek 2003, my memory doesn't go back any further with any accuracy...ect.....

The Zlax45
11-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks Catmandoo. I had a feeling that was where you were going with your comment but thought everyone else would benefit from a clarification. Another tough loss for the Cats. Beaten by an outstanding goalie again, thought we had some good chances just could not finish again. Hope Walls is not hurt too badly cant afford any long term injuries on D.

I will say this again on USCHO, Gillies wasn't challenged! This kid is an outstanding goalie but this season he hasn't been challenged much! He makes the saves he is supposed to and lately has been sitting in a rocking chair with the way PC has played defense this season!

coots01
11-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Not sure what you've been watching but Gillies had to work to keep the Cats from winning. This was not a cake walk for the Friars and take off the PC colored glasses and don't drink the Koolaid.

Jon
11-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Not sure what you've been watching but Gillies had to work to keep the Cats from winning. This was not a cake walk for the Friars and take off the PC colored glasses and don't drink the Koolaid.

I interpret Zlax's comment to mean that PC's defense kept UVM from getting really good scoring chances last night. Obviously, Gillies was tested the previous night as he gave up two goals.
Incidentally, PC's defense has been driving Mrs Jon crazy all year with their occasional running about in the defensive zone and not cleaning up rebounds. She's a sharp one - that's why I married her.

Patronick
11-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Updated RPI for HE teams

Providence #4
Northeaster #9
Boston College #11
Notre Dame #14
Vermont #16
Lowell #18
Boston U #24
Maine #31
UMass #37
UNH #41
Merrimack #43

Of note, UVM's high RPI ranking is due mainly to the SOS which stands at #10 currently. Anyways HA!!! to snwbdr... I get another whole week of being happy the Cats are higher then Lowell ;)

Figured I'd update this for you:

PC #3
BC #7
ND #8
Lowell #15
UNH #17
NU #24
Maine #28
BU #34
UVM #36
Amherst #41
MC #44

Well, that was nice while it lasted, huh?

Cat lover
11-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Figured I'd update this for you:

PC #3
BC #7
ND #8
Lowell #15
UNH #17
NU #24
Maine #28
BU #34
UVM #36
Amherst #41
MC #44

Well, that was nice while it lasted, huh?

Hey look the A-hole came out of his hole that he has been hiding in and only after we lose a pair what a surprise.

Narrowly beating that killer Penn St. team must have got you all excited.

Patronick
11-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Hey look the A-hole came out of his hole that he has been hiding in and only after we lose a pair what a surprise.

Narrowly beating that killer Penn St. team must have got you all excited.

I wasn't the one doing the happy dance over the RPI standings a month into the season. You didn't seem to have a problem with them being discussed then, why so hostile now?

FWIW I thought your squad played PC tough on Saturday. Not being able to finish is going to doom the team (and with it Sneddon's job, sadly), but I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

Good luck against Amherst. It's the one time of the season that I cheer for Vermont. While I truly am bewildered by your fan's bizarre and unrelenting psychosis regarding your percieved status in Hockey East, I do enjoy Burlington. I find your barn charming and genuinely like Sneddon. Amherst, on the other hand, is a festering cesspool, home to the most vile, knuckle-dragging mutants in all of college hockey.

This weekend, we are all Catamounts.