No announcement yet.

Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

Lack of on ice leadership????? How can you say that when you did not see the games??
    If the team was running around crazy getting stupid penalties like they did prior to Coach Hastings, I would totally agree. There were not too many selfish or stupid penalties on Saturday. MSU got come calls early, but could not get the puck by Gilles. The 2nd & 3rd were a different story. While Blueger did get a misc. after one of the goals, most of the others were not that bad. JP was a hit from behind, however the PC player did turn at the last minute, you could see JP felt bad right after checking to see if he was OK. They have to make that call. Gervais on the other hand looked like a collision that you see many times during a game & he got the boot. Looking at the box score, you would have thought that it was a real chippy game, it was not. I bet if that was the playoffs, that at least half of the penalties would not have been called.
    There was a high stick that when announced it was "UN-INTENTIONAL HIGHSTICK TO THE HEAD". Maybe that is a new rule, but I have never heard that call before at any level of hockey.
    As Coach said after the game it WAS ridiculous the way the game was called, there were 2 really good teams that got caught up in a game that the refs wanted to get too involved in.
    I am not saying that that is the reason that MSU lost, they were not able to beat Gilles when they had the chance. 22 first period shots & 0 goals, that is where they have to get better.

Comment

Re: Official 2013-2014 Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Season Thread

I couldn't see the first major/ejection but they called contact to the head which is an auto ejection here...

There was no chippy stuff until the end of the game
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        From what I heard and listened to, out veteran defenseman were atrocious. That would be a lack of leadership on the blue line, once again as you pointed out, a void left by Elbrecht.
        That was my worry coming into this year. Maybe that was part of giving Stern and Nelson the A on the jersey, in hopes that they'd provide that leadership and defensive stability. That might take time.

Still plenty of season left to get things right, but the way the it's starting, the WCHA is looking like a one-bid league come tournament time, and we didn't do anything to change that in Providence.

Comment

From what I heard and listened to, out veteran defenseman were atrocious. That would be a lack of leadership on the blue line, once again as you pointed out, a void left by Elbrecht.
          In Fridays game,yes they were not what they have been in the past, but I would not say atrocious.
          It was the first real game,& they were much better on Sat.
          Still not going to win many game scoring just 1 goal. The whole team was better on Saturday they just could not get into any flow with the way the game was called & they were playing a very good team.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeefan View Post
            Lack of on ice leadership????? How can you say that when you did not see the games??
            If the team was running around crazy getting stupid penalties like they did prior to Coach Hastings, I would totally agree. There were not too many selfish or stupid penalties on Saturday. MSU got come calls early, but could not get the puck by Gilles. The 2nd & 3rd were a different story. While Blueger did get a misc. after one of the goals, most of the others were not that bad. JP was a hit from behind, however the PC player did turn at the last minute, you could see JP felt bad right after checking to see if he was OK. They have to make that call. Gervais on the other hand looked like a collision that you see many times during a game & he got the boot. Looking at the box score, you would have thought that it was a real chippy game, it was not. I bet if that was the playoffs, that at least half of the penalties would not have been called.
            There was a high stick that when announced it was "UN-INTENTIONAL HIGHSTICK TO THE HEAD". Maybe that is a new rule, but I have never heard that call before at any level of hockey.
            As Coach said after the game it WAS ridiculous the way the game was called, there were 2 really good teams that got caught up in a game that the refs wanted to get too involved in.
            I am not saying that that is the reason that MSU lost, they were not able to beat Gilles when they had the chance. 22 first period shots & 0 goals, that is where they have to get better.
            So Hastings disagreed with me by putting Nelson and Palmquist as the third d pair on the line chart Saturday? My sources are generally very good, trusted sources. I don't think you can disagree that defensively this team struggled mightily most of the weekend.

And this weekend, especially Friday, was Jutting hockey. Period.
            Last edited by MavHockey14; 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM.
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeefan View Post
              But that's the point....they may not have been dirty or chippy penalties, but they were penalties. I've seen it from MSU teams way too many times in the past. They get penalty after penalty after penalty and they aren't dirty or cheap or chippy. I don't care how tight the refs are calling it, that's something that just didn't happen last year. Something that I attribute to the on-ice leadership in addition to coach. I'm not one that is going to whine and complain about the refs in many situations. My point is not that there aren't leaders this year, it's that we lost two really great ones from last year. That's not something that can be made up over the summer or in practice. It has to be done on the ice during games. I'm fully confident that they will settle down and this was an abberation. There is too much talent for that to happen too often.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

F....stupid double posts
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Sounds like Margonari is battling up hill to play this weekend. He's gotta be feeling a lot better today and tomorrow to dress. If he can't go, I'd imagine Herndon is in on the fourth line and some shuffling occurs on the top 3.
                  AF 99

Comment

Saw this article today on future recruits C.J. Franklin and Zeb Knutson:
                    http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...eam/?id=154707

Comment

Originally posted by Mav Fan View Post
                      Saw this article today on future recruits C.J. Franklin and Zeb Knutson:
                      http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...eam/?id=154707
                      These two are great pick ups for us. I'm excited.

Well, let's hope the boys are fired up and ready tonight. Time to get a couple of wins and get things back on the right track!

GAME DAY! GO MAVERICKS!
                      AF 99

Comment

These two are great pick ups for us. I'm excited.

Well, let's hope the boys are fired up and ready tonight. Time to get a couple of wins and get things back on the right track!

GAME DAY! GO MAVERICKS!
                        Good news that it was a win. Bad news is that it's the same frustration I'm getting watching the Wild this year. I don't want to watch you outshoot the other team. I want to watch you outscore the other team.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Good news that it was a win. Bad news is that it's the same frustration I'm getting watching the Wild this year. I don't want to watch you outshoot the other team. I want to watch you outscore the other team.
                          Eerily similar.. I thought the PP looked much better.. UConn played well in their own end and was stingy locking down a lot of good scoring areas.
                          AF 99

Comment

Tonight the domination showed on the scorboard; Mavs 6, UConn 1.
                            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                              Tonight the domination showed on the scorboard; Mavs 6, UConn 1.
                              I was hoping this would be the case after Friday's game. Hopefully this early bye week can get us healthy heading to go out and get some beaver.
                              AF 99

Comment

http://theahl.com/stars-morin-named-...e-week-p187971

Maybe this is the year for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X