Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Good game, but frustrating in the end when we couldn't get anything to the net or weren't shooting.

Mel's postgame interview:
    Could've went either way, it's getting old, but can't fault our teams effort tonight, did a lot of good thigns, offensively challenged right now
    Every game is a fine line W or L, can't tell our guys Ferris is the better team, but have to find a way to score
    have to get pucks to the net and in the net,
    Like Jamie's game tonight, good to have D. Johnstone, good defensively, a couple breakdowns
    Told team it's easy to be frustrated, team is doing what we've asked, but can't score
    Generated good chances, but not finishing, that's hard part of hockey, the offense is creativity/skill
    Held Ferris to 1 goal, did everythign defensively, but between our PP and offense, we'll be in close games
    Good play on their goal, brought a 3rd player high, lost coverage on him, guy took a one tiem shot, off MTU stick and in net
    Like our team, like we're right there with #3 team
    Faceoffs, very good, sign if your teams ready to play menatlly, great job against a good hockey team, another chance tomorrow
    Jamie did a good job, did everythign he could
    Told our team, this is a good lesson, gave ourself a chacne, 1 shot everything, when it turns and we get on a roll lookout
    No Stebner - he's being evaluated, played 5D in 3rd, looked tired in end, will have to help our D out tomorrow, he's questionable for tomorrow

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Before you sit down to watch/listen to tonight's game versus Ferris State, check out the latest recruiting article on THG. Just published an article on late bloomer, Mason Blacklock.

http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2014/...ing-in-vernon/
      Thanks Shirtless! Good info, looking forward to some offense coming in next year!

Comment

This team is so depressing to watch. Frustration just keeps growing...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

maybe this is ridiculous... but I want to apologize for hijacking the Ferris v. Tech thread... thats all. Negative reps are expected.
          Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

I had the "pleasure" of being in attendance Saturday. Was very impressed by how hard they played. You're right, it is depressing and after watching them play Michigan in November to an overtime loss and last night's game I feel like pounding my head against the wall. I do think Mel is doing good job keeping the players motivated. But then again I went to Tech, I should be used to disappointment.

Comment

I am going to keep hopeful the offense will break through at home with the disappointment from this weekend needing to be exorcised.

Comment

You know there are some games where I was pretty disappointed,( like the 4-4 tie with bgsu) but this last one wasn't one of them. I think our team has been gradually getting better and better. We get more shots vs early in the year, we give up fewer opportunities, we possess the puck more. I think our scoring opportunities are up as well. I like what I see. Of course it's tough to lose these close games, but i'll take this vs the Russell years. I do hate the shorthanded goals allowed though.

As far as Ferris, they weren't as good as I thought they would be, or we were better, I don't know which.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So we've reached the point where moral victories don't do much for the fan base, and hopefully the team as well. However the team has racked up 13 losses so far this season, 7 in WCHA conference play. Those 13 losses came by a combined 19 goals (15 if you remove the Notre Dame 7-3 loss) and 10 goals were the difference in the 7 conference losses.

None the less, the Huskies sit four points (with two games in hand) behind BSU for the last home ice playoff spot. However they also sit only 2 pts in front of Alaska in 9th place - out of the playoffs all together. Tech's 12 remaining games are a tale of two extremes - their six remaining sets of games are against the current #1, #2, #3, #8, #9 & #10 teams. MTU needs to rack up some points against the bottom three teams, if only to keep those teams behind them and make sure they stay in top 8 of the WCHA.

You could say every point going forward becomes very important, but in the case of the 2013-14 Huskies, every GOAL becomes very important. If the season finishes the way it has gone so far, another 12 goals might just mean an extra 12 pts in the standings for the Huskies.

Go Tech!
                  Ryan J
                  Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    As far as Ferris, they weren't as good as I thought they would be, or we were better, I don't know which.
                    Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Plus, the officials didn't help either team this weekend. I'm guessing Ferris' first conference loss comes in Houghton.
                    This space for sale.

Comment

The Huskies' last 13 games have been decided by a goal or less and Michigan Tech is 3-5-5 over that stretch. Only 6 of MTU's 25 games had a margin of victory of greater than a goal. None since the 3-1 loss to UAA on 11/22.

The bright spot for this team is the scoring defense. Currently 16th in the country allowing 2.35 GPG average. Also 16th in the country for PK, not allowing a goal 84.7% of the time.

If only they could find a way to score goals...power play or otherwise.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The Huskies' last 13 games have been decided by a goal or less and Michigan Tech is 3-5-5 over that stretch. Only 6 of MTU's 25 games had a margin of victory of greater than a goal. None since the 3-1 loss to UAA on 11/22.

The bright spot for this team is the scoring defense. Currently 16th in the country allowing 2.35 GPG average. Also 16th in the country for PK, not allowing a goal 84.7% of the time.

If only they could find a way to score goals...power play or otherwise.
                        With Defense stats like that one would think Jamie Russell is still coaching the team.
                        Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                        Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                          Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Plus, the officials didn't help either team this weekend. I'm guessing Ferris' first conference loss comes in Houghton.
                          Seriously?, they helped you a lot more than they helped us, believe me. You got away with a lot! hopefully in Houghton it reverses and they call you for all that away from the puck garbage and constant interference.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

You have to manage your expectations. Before we see a winning culture we have to be competitive. I think the team is competitive and despite all the close scores, it is an improvement from getting manhandled by the opponents. Thirty plus years of mediocrity isn't fixed in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                              You have to manage your expectations. Before we see a winning culture we have to be competitive. I think the team is competitive and despite all the close scores, it is an improvement from getting manhandled by the opponents. Thirty plus years of mediocrity isn't fixed in a couple of years.
                              UAA has sucked for how long and look where they are? We have a right to have expectations. I'm sick of losing, I'm sick of accepting losing, how are we suppose to expect change in the culture without changing or expectations so that losing isn't ok anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Seriously?, they helped you a lot more than they helped us, believe me. You got away with a lot! hopefully in Houghton it reverses and they call you for all that away from the puck garbage and constant interference.
                                We didn't get a goal taken off the board and the icing calls were awful both ways all weekend. Both teams had players put in bad spots thanks to officials that had no clue how to call hybrid icing.
                                This space for sale.

Comment

Working...
                                X