Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    Anyone else thinking we see Phillips tomorrow after a couple goals Pheonix might want back on Saturday?
    I would not be surprised, but I also would not put it past Mel to call out the goalie he feels he wants to anoint in the press after a questionable outing, despite all his pronouncements over these past 2.5 years that he is "not a goalie guy", and relies heavily on the goalie coaches to "make the call".
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2013-2014: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Realignment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Would have been fun to have them in the olden days when they had Lars Helminen's brother or Johnny Kivisto's brother on those teams. But I would still expect them to draw a decent crowd. By game time Friday night anyway. I don't know of any real conflicts, football is over and HS hockey isn't going yet...
      Remember David Johnstone was a State commit until his brother set him straight? Maybe he'll be up for a big weekend.
      Ah....Dwight Helminen played for UofM not State.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        Ah....Dwight Helminen played for UofM not State.
        You are right sir. I seem to have mixed up the differing massive collections of Tech rejects. UofM, MSU, what's the diff
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          You are right sir. I seem to have mixed up the differing massive collections of Tech rejects. UofM, MSU, what's the diff
          Not much difference at all really. Unless you ask them that question. :-o

Comment

Go huskies!!

Comment

I was going to post a few days ago, but I saw the Tech Hockey Guide tweet, saying that the coach that had his Canadian hockey team suspended for drinking is a Tech alum. I'm just impresed you know that info!

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...p-to-princeton

Also, I know the article says some of the state of MN's top high school players went to Juniors, but still good to see a few Tech recruits on their guess for the top 10 candidates for MN's Mr. Hockey.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high...key-watch-list

7. Mitch Reinke, Defense, Stillwater High School (Committed to Michigan Tech)

Reinke is a smaller, puck-moving defenseman with excellent foot work and a great feel for the game. He's really taken his game to the next level in the past year, becoming one of the more reliable defensemen in the state. Reinke only scored 3-11-14 last year on a Stillwater team that really struggled offensively, but don't be fooled by the modest numbers. He's capable of taking over games with his ability to handle the puck.

Reinke made a commitment to Michigan Tech last season. At his size, he's unlikely to get much serious consideration for the NHL Draft.

9. Travis Brown, Defense, Rogers High School (Committed to Michigan Tech)

Brown is a player that flies under the radar because he plays for a smaller school and committed to a smaller college program at a young age. But Brown provides a little bit of everything on the blue line. He's solidly built at 6'1" 201 lbs. with light feet. He's mostly a defensive defenseman, but can jump into the play and contribute some offense as well.

Brown hasn't garnered a ton of attention for the NHL Draft yet, but should definitely be in the conversation as a potential pick. Realistically, he doesn't have much hope of winning playing on a Rogers team that will struggle to be competitive, but is definitely one of the 10 best seniors in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                I was going to post a few days ago, but I saw the Tech Hockey Guide tweet, saying that the coach that had his Canadian hockey team suspended for drinking is a Tech alum. I'm just impresed you know that info!

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...p-to-princeton

Also, I know the article says some of the state of MN's top high school players went to Juniors, but still good to see a few Tech recruits on their guess for the top 10 candidates for MN's Mr. Hockey.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high...key-watch-list

7. Mitch Reinke, Defense, Stillwater High School (Committed to Michigan Tech)

Reinke is a smaller, puck-moving defenseman with excellent foot work and a great feel for the game. He's really taken his game to the next level in the past year, becoming one of the more reliable defensemen in the state. Reinke only scored 3-11-14 last year on a Stillwater team that really struggled offensively, but don't be fooled by the modest numbers. He's capable of taking over games with his ability to handle the puck.

Reinke made a commitment to Michigan Tech last season. At his size, he's unlikely to get much serious consideration for the NHL Draft.

9. Travis Brown, Defense, Rogers High School (Committed to Michigan Tech)

Brown is a player that flies under the radar because he plays for a smaller school and committed to a smaller college program at a young age. But Brown provides a little bit of everything on the blue line. He's solidly built at 6'1" 201 lbs. with light feet. He's mostly a defensive defenseman, but can jump into the play and contribute some offense as well.

Brown hasn't garnered a ton of attention for the NHL Draft yet, but should definitely be in the conversation as a potential pick. Realistically, he doesn't have much hope of winning playing on a Rogers team that will struggle to be competitive, but is definitely one of the 10 best seniors in the state.
                I know Reinke and Brown are both good players but I didn't even check out Dilk's list because I didn't expect one, let alone both to make the list. I'm glad to see him giving both players props despite their limitations (Reinke's size and Brown's small school). Both players considered moving on to Junior hockey this year. I was a little disappointed to see Brown return to Rogers since his schedule isn't very tough and his team isn't the best. It probably would have been better for him to move on the NAHL, USHL or BCHL. Reinke also probably would have been better served to move on but I think his situation with Stillwater is better. All in all you can't really argue with guys wanting to finish high school as a senior with their friends. Jake Jackson did the same thing and it worked out of for him so far, almost winning Mr. Hockey.

As for THG, we try to stay up on all alumni, its actually a pretty interesting list including the commissioner of the ECAC and BCHL.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Good win, we just need more home games.

Mel's postgame thoughts:
                  Liked how we started, for the most part, ready to play this year, credit to the players
                  Good 1st period, maybe too relaxed they bounced back in 2nd
                  Copley real nice job to keep us in the game in the 2nd
                  Liked our finish, need to clean up 2nd period
                  Petan/Kero/Pietila, good line, once chemistry is going, they'll be off and running
                  A few turnovers in 2nd, one of defense had a few tough inutes, but freshmen Dmen are growing leap/bounds, hope to keep them all til their seniors
                  Hyland is starting to come into his own, Stebner struggled bit at times, but finished the game well
                  Their defense is big/strong, they did a good job of limiting our forecheck at times
                  Only give up 19 shots, they were averaging over 30, like our defense when we play with gritiness
                  We've been playing well, if we continue to do that, pucks will go in, this team has a good mindset
                  Looking forward to tomorrow, another great crowd, thanks for turnout even though the record doesn't look great
                  All our lines played fairly well

Comment

Good win, we just need more home games.

Mel's postgame thoughts:
                    Liked how we started, for the most part, ready to play this year, credit to the players
                    Good 1st period, maybe too relaxed they bounced back in 2nd
                    Copley real nice job to keep us in the game in the 2nd
                    Liked our finish, need to clean up 2nd period
                    Petan/Kero/Pietila, good line, once chemistry is going, they'll be off and running
                    A few turnovers in 2nd, one defensemen had a few tough minutes, but freshmen Dmen are growing leap/bounds, hope to keep them all til their seniors
                    Hyland is starting to come into his own, Stebner struggled bit at times, but finished the game well
                    Their defense is big/strong, they did a good job of limiting our forecheck at times
                    Only give up 19 shots, they were averaging over 30, like our defense when we play with gritiness
                    We've been playing well, if we continue to do that, pucks will go in, this team has a good mindset
                    Looking forward to tomorrow, another great crowd, thanks for turnout even though the record doesn't look great
                    All our lines played fairly well

Comment

Anyone else unable to see the Tech feed tonight?

Comment

Heading up to the MacInnes this weekend for LSSU! I'm hoping to see a packed house and the Misfits rocking!

Go Tech!
                        Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

• Originally posted by MeanEgirl View Post
                          Heading up to the MacInnes this weekend for LSSU! I'm hoping to see a packed house and the Misfits rocking!

Go Tech!
                          Why are you cheering for Tech, Bulldog fan?
                          C is for Comma
                          Last edited by Flashy Man; 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM.
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                            Why are you cheering for Tech Bulldog fan?
                            Tech Bulldog fan? I am cheering for Tech Bulldog fan because Tech Bulldog fan is awesome! Let's go Tech Bulldog fan!
                            Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

LSSU may be 5-2-1, but anything less than a sweep for Tech will not be acceptable on home ice. They're capable of it, and with that long Alaska road trip coming up, they're going to need the conference points.

Seems that if they can keep frosh phenom Globke in check for both games, then they've got a very good chance.

Sweep the Lakers, and then going 2-2 over four games in AK would be quite acceptable given the travel fatigue.

Comment

I'd say that win on saturday night, was one of the most important wins in a really long time. Maybe we are on the way to being a winning program sooner than I thought. That kind of win is what winners do.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X