PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58

4four4
04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
I hope Wilcox plays out of his mind before he leaves for the pros.

FredsDeadFriend
04-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I hope Wilcox plays out of his mind before he leaves for the pros.

After last year, if Wilcox doesn't deliver us a Title, and then leaves, I'll not be happy. If he delivers us a title and then bolts, well, much easier to handle that. Can't diss these guys for leaving early, either way, I guess, with the amount of money at stake for them, and some of them are doing very well in the NHL this year. Just really hope, and yes I'm being selfish in this regard, that somehow it doesn't work out between his NHL teams needs for Wilcox this year and that he comes back one more year at least. But no matter, these guys gotta go when they can, when an injury during a college season that they didn't have to play can cost them millions of dollars.

dxmnkd316
04-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Tickets procured.

4four4
04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
After last year, if Wilcox doesn't deliver us a Title, and then leaves, I'll not be happy. If he delivers us a title and then bolts, well, much easier to handle that. Can't diss these guys for leaving early, either way, I guess, with the amount of money at stake for them, and some of them are doing very well in the NHL this year. Just really hope, and yes I'm being selfish in this regard, that somehow it doesn't work out between his NHL teams needs for Wilcox this year and that he comes back one more year at least. But no matter, these guys gotta go when they can, when an injury during a college season that they didn't have to play can cost them millions of dollars.

If Tampa doesn't make an offer this summer he will be a FA next year. The clock starts the day after the championship.

FredsDeadFriend
04-01-2014, 10:07 PM
If Tampa doesn't make an offer this summer he will be a FA next year. The clock starts the day after the championship.

Yeah, that seems like a flaw in that system. The team should be able to retain the rights of any player who decides to stay in college. But that's just my opinion, what do I know, right?! lol

But is it possible that Tampa may feel they don't need another Goalie right now? I don't follow the NHL much, so I have no clue.

Greyeagle
04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Tickets procured.

Pressure is on!
Enjoy.

mnstate0fhockey
04-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, that seems like a flaw in that system. The team should be able to retain the rights of any player who decides to stay in college. But that's just my opinion, what do I know, right?! lol

But is it possible that Tampa may feel they don't need another Goalie right now? I don't follow the NHL much, so I have no clue.

Depends on whether Tampa thinks he'll seek free agency. I will say this - The chances of Tampa letting him stay are higher because he's a goaltender than they would be if he played forward or defense.

FredsDeadFriend
04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Ok, I am sure not many Gopher hockey fans care about this topic right now, but for some reason I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and that's conference realignment and expansion and who would the B1G bring in as teams #15 and #16 if they go that route?

Thinking as a hockey fan and someone who understands that its more about Research money and Media footprint than anything else, wouldn't Boston University meet any criteria the B1G might have for bringing in another school?

Their research ranking is very good, they have a good media footprint being in Boston, and as a hockey fan they would bring a lot to the B1G hockey conf. They are probably lacking in football and basketball, but joining the B1G would have to help their recruiting. Not sure their hockey fans would like the move, but they could continue playing in the Beanpot like we play in our Mn challenge thingy.

I guess the bigger question would be who would come in with them? I think my favorite would be Virginia, although I don't see getting ACC schools to be very easy from here on out, although the ACC could replace them with Cincy or UConn. Don't think UConn would meet up to B1G standards as far as research is concerned. Cincy would, but they wouldn't add anything to the media footprint. I guess Notre Dame would be some people's #1 target, and they do have hockey, but I've just never liked Notre Dame, and there are better schools research wise.

I think a far more realistic and sensible option is Colorado State or a North Dakota school. Both ND schools are rising in the research rankings by leaps and bounds. Both are legit bb schools now, and actually NDSU is a legit fb school now as well. Only thing that sucks is that UND has the hockey and NDSU has the football, so my guess is we'd go with NDSU? Any thoughts on that? Would adding one hockey school and not two work out?

gopher wes
04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
tickets procured.
*thumbs up*

5mn_Major
04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Ok, I am sure not many Gopher hockey fans care about this topic right now, but for some reason I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and that's conference realignment and expansion and who would the B1G bring in as teams #15 and #16 if they go that route?

Thinking as a hockey fan and someone who understands that its more about Research money and Media footprint than anything else, wouldn't Boston University meet any criteria the B1G might have for bringing in another school?

Good call out. When you think about it BU probably is better than just about any other program regarding the combination of markets, legacy, and institution quality. Having said that, they really don't bring that much to the table relative to OSU, MSU, MI, UW and MN. I don't think that's any sign of relative BU's strength as a candidate...but rather the point that there is not really any great candidates worthy of the energy required for a B1G associate membership. To solidify that point, I just don't think a BU program generate too many extra seat sales at Mariucci above 80% of our other matchups. I think in part that's because they are way out of our footprint at this point. The only way I think this changes is if B1G hockey needs to go beyond 6 for some reason. IMO.

FredsDeadFriend
04-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Good call out. When you think about it BU probably is better than just about any other program regarding the combination of markets, legacy, and institution quality. Having said that, they really don't bring that much to the table relative to OSU, MSU, MI, UW and MN. I don't think that's any sign of relative BU's strength as a candidate...but rather the point that there is not really any great candidates worthy of the energy required for a B1G associate membership. To solidify that point, I just don't think a BU program generate too many extra seat sales at Mariucci above 80% of our other matchups. I think in part that's because they are way out of our footprint at this point. The only way I think this changes is if B1G hockey needs to go beyond 6 for some reason. IMO.

What do you think of the North Dakota schools?

And I don't think its so much a "need" to go beyond 6, as much as wanting to grab that much more of the market. I don't think we "needed" to add Maryland and Rutgers, but long term its going to be a very profitable move. Snatching another nice market, like Boston would just increase those profits, especially since BU has the research thing going as well. If hockey some how was the #1 factor when it came to adding 2 more schools, what possible candidates would bring anything to the table relative to OSU, MSU, MI, UW & MN that aren't already a part of the B1G conf? UND and Notre Dame are the only two I can think of, and Notre Dame wants too much from the B1G so that's probably never going to happen, and UND doesn't have the football that could be a requirement as well, nor is the media footprint of adding UND much of an incentive. UMn has an old rivalry with both BU and BC, but the BC angle has only been the stronger of the two recently, back in the 70's and 80's it was a stronger rivalry with BU. BU had more guys on that 80 MOI team, I don't think BC had any, actually, and BU has more guys in the HOF. I don't think bringing in 2 schools in the same market is an option, so moving into Boston seems to me that it is an either/or choice, either BC or BU. Just as PSU has no real meaning to any of those 5 teams hockey wise, and is having to create meaning from scratch basically, BU would almost be ahead of the game compared to PSU. Now comparing BU and BC, BU is the better research school, but BC probably has better cfb, cbb and recently, the better hockey, so not sure the research aspect would outrule the cfb and cbb aspect or not? I've checked into UConn, and I just don't think they'd meet the B1G's requirements. Pitt might be a great option in sports and research, but like Iowa St, Cincy or another Illinois school, are not great options because of the lack of a new media footprint, so Pitt misses out in that regard and I don't think they'd help our hockey. I just see the Big Ten Network looking at featuring hockey and trying to get a regular audience on Friday nights for hockey throughout the winter months, and adding more teams to the B1G conf roster will only help make hockey work for the B1G Network. And I think viewers would tune in to see BU or BC vs Minny or Wisc or Michigan, probably more than they would OSU or maybe MSU or PSU, depending on if those teams can bounce back or move up or not?

The one thing I don't really see is two viable candidates from the east that would help us in hockey as well as fb and mfp and research. So looking westward, neither KU or KSU are rated very well research wise, or fb wise, and the mfp is nothing spectacular and neither has hockey. So that seems to leave North Dakota and Colorado. CSU rates well research wise, but seems to be lacking in athletics and they don't have hockey that I know of? I didn't look up to see where DU or CC rated research wise, but neither has the athletics outside of hockey. CSU at least seems to have enough of a cbb and cfb presence that joining the B1G could give them enough of a boost to become relevant, like Nebraska has done with its basketball and PSU has done with its hockey now. As for North Dakota, not sure if either has the media footprint worthy of what the B1G wants? Both have research rankings that are rapidly rising, although I am sure neither is in the AAU. And UND without fb is probably not an option, leaving NDSU which doesn't do much for hockey. Colorado is kind of a distance for most of the B1G schools, but WV is still in the Big 12, and the Alaska schools are still making hockey work so Colorado isn't worse than either of those 2 situations?

And its possible that even if only 1 of the 2 schools has hockey, that adding them would make it easier to get one of the already existing member schools to make the move to Div 1 hockey, like Iowa or Illinois?

Thinking about everything as a whole, and trying to figure out what the B1G would think was best for the long term, I can't shake the feeling that getting into Boston would just be too big of a factor to go anywhere else for school #15. I guess I'm not so sure what they'd think was the best option for the 16th school? Maybe Notre Dame will buckle? I hope not. Thinking Geographically, a North Dakota or Kansas school would probably be the most natural or maybe a New York or Virginia or Conn school? Man, I hate this 2 weeks between the regionals and the FF, lol.

Slap Shot
04-02-2014, 06:42 PM

They'd never meet the requirements as large public research universities, for expanding the TV footprint and AAU member membership for starters.

Koho
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
But no matter, these guys gotta go when they can, when an injury during a college season that they didn't have to play can cost them millions of dollars.

I am sick of this argument. Life is a bunch of risks you take based on probabilities. While I realize potential loss is great, but the probability of this happening is extremely low. How many athletes can you think of who had career ending injuries in college? This was a more valid argument 20 years ago, before just about any knee injury could be repaired with surgery. If you are having a blast with your friends and want to go for a NC, the memories from that season are worth millions. That is what life is about, not money. Can you name one person who regretted staying a year longer in college? I know of people who regretted leaving early, but can't remember one guy saying "I should have left last year". (I guess you could say Okposo, but I think NY probably put a lot of pressure on him too.)

SanTropez
04-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Agree Koho.

These kids should play through their JR year then decide if they can actually make it in the NHL. (most don't)

5mn_Major
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM

Thinking about everything as a whole, and trying to figure out what the B1G would think was best for the long term, I can't shake the feeling that getting into Boston would just be too big of a factor to go anywhere else for school #15. I guess I'm not so sure what they'd think was the best option for the 16th school? Maybe Notre Dame will buckle? I hope not. Thinking Geographically, a North Dakota or Kansas school would probably be the most natural or maybe a New York or Virginia or Conn school? Man, I hate this 2 weeks between the regionals and the FF, lol.

I know what you're thinking. Why not? Let's grow this thing. But it really comes down to the vision of what the B1G and where its going. And I'm pretty sure that Delany and company want quality over quantity. Think exclusive club. If you look at the one associate member they've added JHU...you can see why the B1G invented a new approach. Not only did it turn the B1G teams into a real field hockey conference where it could be televised, but... from wiki: The National Science Foundation (NSF) has ranked Johns Hopkins #1 among U.S. academic institutions in total science, medical and engineering research and development spending for 31 consecutive years. As of 2011, thirty-seven Nobel Prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins over the course of 120 years. The university's research has been ranked as the third most cited of any institution globally, earning it a far-reaching reputation as one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

I think the net message here is that the B1G has a massive reputation at stake in any associate invitations and that when looking at the big athletic and academic picture, hockey is such a small piece of the pie. There's too much risk in add any hockey associate members unless they greatly benefit the big picture of the conference.

Also take a gander with posts starting at March 29 http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9262&start=2775

ScoobyDoo
04-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I am sick of this argument. Life is a bunch of risks you take based on probabilities. While I realize potential loss is great, but the probability of this happening is extremely low. How many athletes can you think of who had career ending injuries in college? This was a more valid argument 20 years ago, before just about any knee injury could be repaired with surgery. If you are having a blast with your friends and want to go for a NC, the memories from that season are worth millions. That is what life is about, not money. Can you name one person who regretted staying a year longer in college? I know of people who regretted leaving early, but can't remember one guy saying "I should have left last year". (I guess you could say Okposo, but I think NY probably put a lot of pressure on him too.)

I agree, but not your decision. I had no college life to speak of and I regret that.

D2D
04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
For those who may not have seen this - lots of great info!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-hockey/auto_pdf/2013-14/release/release_20140404aaa.pdf

FredsDeadFriend
04-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I know what you're thinking. Why not? Let's grow this thing. But it really comes down to the vision of what the B1G and where its going. And I'm pretty sure that Delany and company want quality over quantity. Think exclusive club. If you look at the one associate member they've added JHU...you can see why the B1G invented a new approach. Not only did it turn the B1G teams into a real field hockey conference where it could be televised, but...

I think the net message here is that the B1G has a massive reputation at stake in any associate invitations and that when looking at the big athletic and academic picture, hockey is such a small piece of the pie. There's too much risk in add any hockey associate members unless they greatly benefit the big picture of the conference.

Also take a gander with posts starting at March 29 http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9262&start=2775

Thanks for the link to GPL, but its been so long since I posted there I can't remember my login name and they have are not allowing for new registrations right now.

But I see they are all talking about Texas? wow, didn't see that coming.

Now when I think of B1G expansion, the main factors I think are considered are

1. Media Footprint, now and long term
2. Research rankings and impact, now and long term
3. Football impact, now and long term
4. Basketball impact, now and long term
5. Ability to leave current situation & join B1G
6. Fb/bb recruiting impact, now and long term
7. Baseball/Hockey impact, now and long term
8. other sports impact, now and long term
9. And this one could rank higher, but general image issues, brand issues, expansion of brand, reputation, etc..

I don't think a school will be considered for full membership unless they have 4 of the top 5 covered with at least a plan to upgrade in the 5th.

Potential candidates, imo, JHU, Pitt, Chicago, UNC, Col-Denver, Boston U, Cincy, Virginia, Col St, NYU, NCSU, UMass-Amhurst, Kansas, Notre Dame, RI, UConn, UND, NDSU, Okla, Houston, Ok St

Now I just took what I believed to be the 21 options I saw from looking at the Top 135 rated schools in the Research Ratings, plus Texas, and the order I listed them in is also their order of ranking on that list.

Update - not sure where Texas is rated, but other than their not touching another B1G state, and their maybe wanting too much similar to ND, it would be a huge add to our media footprint.

1. JHU - Only Div 1 in one school. Wouldn't add more to Media footprint, but their Research #s are staggering. Hard to see them every becoming a full member athletically, but maybe a CIC member & Associate Member athletically?

11. Pitt - wouldn't add to the Media footprint and never will, so No.

26. Chicago - Already a part of CIC, so No.

15-30? somewhere - UNC - I think these guys are the biggest prize of them all(with the exception of Texas I suppose), WAY bigger than Notre Dame, adds in every way possible, cept hockey & maybe a looming academic scandal? But now that the ACC has made strong moves to solidify itself, would they ever consider it now? I think that door got slammed this last offseason by the actions of the Big East and that court case regarding Maryland's exit fees.

36. Col-Denver - Just No.

37. Boston U - This is the school I think the B1G should go after. The Boston/Mass Media footprint, great research ratings, decent bb, great hockey. Football? Joining the B1G would give that a boost.

43. Cincy - Wouldn't add anything to our Media footprint and their athletics suck, so NO.

44. Virginia - This was a school being considered when the ACC was on much more shaky ground. Now I'd say they wouldn't be worth the effort.

45. Col St - Was surprised CSU was rated this high Research wise. OK fb & bb, not sure if they have hockey? Not sure if hk would work with CC & DU? Not a horrible place to expand into, Colorado ranks 22nd in population, so not a bad media footprint to add. Not great but not bad.

47. NYU - Good school but no clue about their athletics? Do they even have fb? Just don't see it.

62. NCSU - Same as with Virginia.

94. UMass-Amhurst - They'd add the Mass media footprint, but just not sure about their athletics? BU would be the superior option in my opinion.

100. Kansas - The state of Kansas has less than 3 million residents and their football sucks. We need less help in cbb and they have no hockey or much for other sports and I don't see potential for future growth, they seem to be trending downwards.

112. Notre Dame - Personally I just hope its No.

113. RI - The state is too small, the sports there almost non-existent. Don't see it, ever.

122. UConn - If they showed some upward progress in these research ratings, I could see them being a viable option. UConn would need the B1G to help their situation. The school more than doubled its research money it brought in over just a 5 year time period around a decade ago, but then they dropped again around 5 years ago, so hard to tell if they are trending upward or downward in this regard. Otherwise their mens and womens bb is incredible, they do have hockey, and though their fb is not good, they have football at least. Might be a good pairing bringing them in with BU, or if an east/west balance is needed, bringing them in instead of BU? The state's population is higher than Kansas, but its not great.

123. UND - UND has made big strides Research wise, so they are moving into the realm of being almost a B1G caliber like school, although their growth hasn't been as rapid as NDSU, and their football is lacking, combined with the state of North Dakota only having maybe a million residents, I'm not sure I see this happening, unless they figure there is enough oil in ND to keep their states economy booming for another 50-100 years, then who knows? UND wouldn't be the worst idea as an associate hockey member, but that's just from my opinion. I'm not sure how the B1G would look at it? I'm guessing they wouldn't be very high on their wish list.

126. NDSU - Now I think NDSU is the far more realistic choice of the 2 ND schools, because of their upward movement in fb and in bb as well and the lack of hockey might not be too much of an obstactle IF they qualified in all other areas. They have grown much more rapidly research wise, more than tripling the amount of money they bring in over the last 15 or so years, almost quadrupling it even, but mostly because they were much worse off than UND was 15-20 years ago, but its an upward trend that is a good sign. Still not sure if the states low population isn't too much of a deal breaker to overcome, esp combined with the lack of other positives such as adding them wouldn't help recruiting at all, or the overall image of the B1G, etc..

130. Oklahoma - Would be an ok add, fb and bb wise, although their research rankings rank below NDSU and UND, and the states population isn't a whopper like Texas' is, but its on par with Connecticut and its been growing at a decent rate as well, surprisingly to me. I'd probably take this school over a North Dakota school, if those were my only 2 choices, as Oklahoma still seems to have a reputation nationally thanks to our own Bud Wilkinson is my guess.

133. Houston - If we are going for the biggest Media footprint impact, yes Texas is the better option if they are willing to come in on our terms, but if they ask for too much, a school like Houston wouldn't be a horrible option. Used to be great in bb, are moving up in football, although they are still a small fish basically. Just not sure if they have the long term potential to move up in Research or not? Why are they as low as they are? Maybe too much of a City college to fin into the B1G? But you have to know they would beg to get in, vs making demands like Texas or ND might?

134. Okie St - I'd think OU would be the better choice out of that state, but if we were out of other options and needed a western school to balance things out after adding an eastern school, I guess there could be worse choices. But I just don't see the B1G ever stooping to this level.

Well, sorry for the length, was just trying to cover every possible angle, lol. I only see 7 real possibilities UT, BU, CSU, KU, ND, UConn & OU with 3 maybes/doubtfuls in UNC, Virg or NCSU?

A UT/BU combo would give the best media footprint boost while adding both an east and west school.

mnturkey
04-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Big day today,
I wish the gophers and all their fans the best of luck and the hockey gods let the puck bounce their way.
GO GOPHERS

JF_Gophers
04-10-2014, 08:02 AM

You can be sick of the argument but it doesn't change facts. If a player thinks he can go pro he's going to do it 99/100. Money and the dream always beat college life in the decision process.