PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

mnstate0fhockey
03-09-2014, 01:53 PM
So if Phil, Wheeler, Okposo, and EJ were in the HS class of 2014 and the Gophers had room, they would not take them all?

We both know that isn't what he said. Or, you're incapable or were unwilling to read what he said.

That's not to say they will completely ignore those guys (a la Fasching). It just means finding a better balance and placing more of a projection on the college performance.

mnstate0fhockey
03-09-2014, 01:57 PM
We saw how much damage all that turnover did in the short term. The reason why the team has been so much better in recent years is because talent AND stability. When you keep your best guys three or four years, the results follow. I think they'd still go after a few of them. All of them? No.

Agreed. Instead of just looking at what guys like Kessel, Okposo, Johnson, etc... did in the short time they were here, people should also look at what it did to the program for 2-3 years after they all bolted after a year or two.

Nothing wrong with targeting a blue chip NHL recruit here and there, but they must be balanced out with 3-4 year players. And what better way to fill those 3-4 year spots than with highly skilled, under sized players who will excel in college, but perhaps not in the pro game.

Bonin21
03-09-2014, 03:00 PM
We both know that isn't what he said. Or, you're incapable or were unwilling to read what he said.
He answered my hypothetical question with, "All of them? No.", so that would mean I interpreted what he meant correctly...

mnstate0fhockey
03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
He answered my hypothetical question with, "All of them? No.", so that would mean I interpreted what he meant correctly...

I think he was pretty clear that he didn't mean all of them initially. I also think he was pretty clear that he didn't mean none of them either.

Hammy
03-09-2014, 07:05 PM
As I said in my original remarks on it, I don't blame them for being enticed by the option of gobbling up those NHL prospect types. But I think they have a better recognition that you need to balance things out more after they endured some tough times for a few years.

It's like going to an all you can eat buffet... just because you can eat all of that food doesn't mean you should. :)

Koho
03-13-2014, 08:57 PM
What is the word on Warning? Is he playing this weekend?

Greyeagle
03-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Your 2013-2014 University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, THE Inaugural Big Ten Hockey Champions.
Has a very nice ring to it.
Ski! U! MAH!

Enough of that, the next step is more important.

firstpusk
03-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Ski U Mah, indeed!

klbaum1077
03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Congrats on winning the First ever Regular season Title!

HumRsky
03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Serious question, did the Gophs take down the banner listing Big Ten championships awarded in the 60s and 70s? If not, do you think they will now, so as not to confuse the casuals?

state of hockey
03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Serious question, did the Gophs take down the banner listing Big Ten championships awarded in the 60s and 70s? If not, do you think they will now, so as not to confuse the casuals?

It was still up there last season, but I have regrettably not been able to go this year so I don't know.

DLW4GOPHERS
03-14-2014, 11:14 PM
It was still up during the Penn State series.

Koho
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Your 2013-2014 University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, THE Inaugural Big Ten Hockey Champions.
Has a very nice ring to it.
Ski! U! MAH!

Enough of that, the next step is more important.

Two more trophies this year would be nice. Then they can do it all again next year......Sort of like the old shampoo instructions; Lather, Rinse Repeat. Instead it would be win B1G season, win B1G tourney, win NCAA, Repeat!

Hopefully just following a couple years behind the women (but with them it would be (Repeat, repeat, repeat)).

ScoobyDoo
03-15-2014, 12:01 PM

I saw it up there this season. No reason to take it down.

shiftyjedi
03-15-2014, 12:27 PM
They have a general consolidated banner. It's likely that the U will condense the WCHA banners and expand Big Ten Banners out by year. I think they avoided it this year since they didn't have a transition banner. That is not the case now.

Koho
03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
They have a general consolidated banner. It's likely that the U will condense the WCHA banners and expand Big Ten Banners out by year. I think they avoided it this year since they didn't have a transition banner. That is not the case now.

So they have so many banners they need to consolidate? Is this what Jan does?

Slap Shot
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
So they have so many banners they need to consolidate? Is this what Jan does?

ialto

FredsDeadFriend
03-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Two more trophies this year would be nice. Then they can do it all again next year......Sort of like the old shampoo instructions; Lather, Rinse Repeat. Instead it would be win B1G season, win B1G tourney, win NCAA, Repeat!

Hopefully just following a couple years behind the women (but with them it would be (Repeat, repeat, repeat)).

Well Koho, since I am a fan and not one of the players or coaches who actually influence the outcome of games, I can be reckless and look ahead past our first scrub opponent and all that. I enjoy speculating, I think its fun and adds to the enjoyment of following sports. I'm a guy with passion for life and yes, speculating can lead to disappointment, but I've also found that when the team wins, having speculated about them winning makes it that much sweeter. So it makes the lows lower, and the highs higher. So I don't blame people who are more of the merry-go-round kinds of people, who want to be more stable and lessen the hurt when we lose by lowering their expectations, because they enjoy the wins as well, maybe even more than I do since they lowered their expectations and so didn't expect to win, whereas I raise my expectations and did expect to win.

That all being said, I think there is a very good chance we could do well this year, and then repeat that success or do even better come next year, as it seems our Gopher's could bring back a very high percentage of our scoring from this year, and even if we don't, even if we lose a lot of underclassmen like we did last year, we have a stellar Goalie that most likely is not going anywhere(I've never heard of a single ncaa goalie leaving school early for the NHL?), and we have another stellar class of recruits coming in as well. Seems our senior class only accounts for about 11-12 % of the points scored this season and an even lower percentage of the goals scored.

Unlike last year, I don't see us getting blessed with having to play the eventual Natl Champs in the first round. With BC losing yesterday and us winning, even if we lose to Michigan today we will probably still be #1 going into the Big Ten tourney, and then unless BC wins their conf tourney title, we might not even have to win the Big Ten conf tourney to retain the #1 seed? And the #1 seed will get to play the Atlantic Hockey Auto bid winner, and their best rated team right now is rated #32 in the PWR. Not saying that makes is a gimme, as Holy Cross from a few years back proved to everyone and everyone seems to have fun reminding us of that fact, but no matter you still gotta like how it improves the odds of our winning that game. Then I just hope we get a good matchup in the #1 vs #8 seed matchup in the 2nd round.

With the field only being 16 teams, I don't know why they went away from having the first round be a series of games. In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all if both the 1st and 2nd rounds were series. The NCAA Men's BB tourney goes 3 weekends, why not do the same for the Hockey tourney?! It would be bad for the Holy Crosses out there, and maybe the Yale's as well?(a little harder to make that case seeing as they went on to win the Title, but who knows, right? I know you probably agree with me Koho, in a best of 3 game series vs Yale last year, Gophers probably would have been favored to win the 2nd game even after they lost the 1st one, and then would have been favored to win the 3rd game if it got to it).

But its a good time to be a Gopher Hockey fan. Gotta believe even if one of the Gopher Hockey teams stumbles, the other will not. Not very many schools are as blessed as us. Maybe UConn with their 2 bb programs. Maybe Louisville? But even looking at those 2, I'd bet UMn has the best odds to win just 1, and the best odds of actually winning both of any school in the nation.

Bonin21
03-15-2014, 01:57 PM
It's likely that the U will condense the WCHA banners and expand Big Ten Banners out by year.
I hate this idea. Look at Joe Louis Arena.

William Blake
03-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Then I just hope we get a good matchup in the #1 vs #8 seed matchup in the 2nd round.

If the final setup looks anything like the last couple weeks' bracketology, don't expect to see the #8 team match up against MN if they are still the #1. Each of at least the last couple weeks has had the #5 team in the #1 bracket for "attendance reasons".