PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, they could lose to UNH I suppose. They should be 3-1 or 4-0 going into BC. BC losses and Notre Dame losses won't hurt much. They're at home for Mankato and UMD and should be able to at minimum split those 4 but I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1 there as well.

So, that's 6-6 , or 5-7 worst case scenario with losses against teams that shouldn't effect the PWR much. I'll take it. As long as they improve as the season progresses. What drives me crazy is every once in a while they'll have a team that just doesn't seem to get any better.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if we are swept in any of of these three series: BC, Notre Dame, Mankato. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did get swept in one IMO. One of those years where building chemistry and filling roles is going to be a process.

wasmania
10-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Tempered expectations here as well, but I'm very optimistic for what the future holds.

Our Gophers lost four of their top five scorers early to the pros, plus a solid defenseman. These five early departures accounted for 155 points, more than 40% of the team's scoring. Is there any other team that even comes close?

Any updates on the early departures AHL/ECHL seasons thus far?

Driftryder
10-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Nice win tonight, they really moved their feet and were up and down the ice for most of the game.

Was great to see some freshman get their first goals too.

willythekid
10-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Our Gophers lost four of their top five scorers early to the pros, plus a solid defenseman. These five early departures accounted for 155 points, more than 40% of the team's scoring. Is there any other team that even comes close?

Yes, Nodak being just one of them... plus you have one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes. Quit sandbagging.

D2D
10-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Yes, Nodak being just one of them... plus you have one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes. Quit sandbagging.

No doubt the Gophers' freshman class is one of the best in the nation...but my question was, when you look at missing point production from 2012-13, which other team in all of D1 lost as much to early pro-signing?

burd
10-12-2013, 06:52 AM
No doubt the Gophers' freshman class is one of the best in the nation...but my question was, when you look at missing point production from 2012-13, which other team in all of D1 lost as much to early pro-signing?

More departing talent means you get to see more incoming talent. One of the cool things about the first couple of months in the season is seeing what the new talent can do. Fans of schools like UMinn, UND, UW, and BC are particularly fortunate because they always have high-end but unproven talent to watch. And with limited exceptions, you never really know which ones will come into their own in D1. It's beginning to sound like the gophers have some who will.

Koho
10-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Only one game to judge on, obviously, but; 1. None of the Freshman who played tonight looked outmatched, granted this wasn't a top tier team. 2. Letteri was noticeable most shifts, more than I expected. Looks like a hell of a shot. 3. Fasching was noticeable for his play, and specifically the fact that he has some wheels to go along with his size. Didn't look intimidated by NCAA play at all. 4. Kloos doesn't look like his size is going to be a huge issue with those wheels. He will be fun to watch. 5. I had hopes that Camarrata would explode on the scene. Played very well including some great passes and some scoring chances, but not the most noticeable Frosh as I had expected. 6. Brodzinski didn't stand out as being outmatched, which is what you want from a D. I think we'll have to judge him against more skilled teams. 7. Liked look of Condon, Rau, Marshall, Reilly. Parentau and even Ambroz looked a little more in the play. No one looked bad. 8. I agree with those that have said that with the team speed, this team will be fun to watch.

Wonder if we'll see Conner Reilly and Bischoff tonight?

goldy_331
10-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Any updates on the early departures AHL/ECHL seasons thus far?

Schmidt was scheduled to start his first NHL game last night, Bjugstad is out with a concussion suffered in pre-season, Budish is on the Preds roster but hasn't played yet. Not sure on the other guys.

mnstate0fhockey
10-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Only one game to judge on, obviously, but; 1. None of the Freshman who played tonight looked outmatched, granted this wasn't a top tier team. 2. Letteri was noticeable most shifts, more than I expected. Looks like a hell of a shot. 3. Fasching was noticeable for his play, and specifically the fact that he has some wheels to go along with his size. Didn't look intimidated by NCAA play at all. 4. Kloos doesn't look like his size is going to be a huge issue with those wheels. He will be fun to watch. 5. I had hopes that Camarrata would explode on the scene. Played very well including some great passes and some scoring chances, but not the most noticeable Frosh as I had expected. 6. Brodzinski didn't stand out as being outmatched, which is what you want from a D. I think we'll have to judge him against more skilled teams. 7. Liked look of Condon, Rau, Marshall, Reilly. Parentau and even Ambroz looked a little more in the play. No one looked bad. 8. I agree with those that have said that with the team speed, this team will be fun to watch.

Wonder if we'll see Conner Reilly and Bischoff tonight?

Great thoughts Koho. In many ways mirror my own thoughts. I would guess we do see Reilly and Bischoff tonight.

jimmie2dog
10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Settled down last night to watch Gophers v Mercy down here in the armpit of Florida.
Then Fox sports puts NoDak State vs Northern Illinois University Football on instead.
Hopefully they wont preempt tonite with High School Football

mnstate0fhockey
10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Settled down last night to watch Gophers v Mercy down here in the armpit of Florida.
Then Fox sports puts NoDak State vs Northern Illinois University Football on instead.
Hopefully they wont preempt tonite with High School Football

If you get the Big Ten Network in your market the games are available online with BTN2Go. I don't think FSC is carrying tonight's game either. They said via Twitter that they ran into some "unforeseen difficulties".

Koho
10-12-2013, 02:06 PM
If you get the Big Ten Network in your market the games are available online with BTN2Go. I don't think FSC is carrying tonight's game either. They said via Twitter that they ran into some "unforeseen difficulties".

Are they still doing "director's cut" online, not that it is a great way to watch?

mnstate0fhockey
10-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Are they still doing "director's cut" online, not that it is a great way to watch?

Good question. I would think so. Though there is a Wild game tonight as well and I would expect that to probably get the director's cut if they are still doing it. Not positive on that though.

jimmie2dog
10-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the tip
Worked as well as any "streaming game" Ive watched

mnstate0fhockey
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the tip
Worked as well as any "streaming game" Ive watched

Glad to help!

Koho
10-13-2013, 11:00 AM
I would expect, with all the speed this team has, that they would opt for an all-out pressure attack on PK, rather than sit back and wait. There were a few times on the PK they seemed to sit back when the opportunity was to force the play. With the speed they have, they should have to worry a little less about whether someone can shift in time to cover for them. An aggressive PK like that can only be beat by tic-tac-toe passing, which is difficult to do when time and space are at a premium. I would expect, as the year goes on, to see a more aggressive PK develop and start to see some SH opportunities develop as well as the units become more familiar with each other.

mnstate0fhockey
10-13-2013, 05:22 PM
I would expect, with all the speed this team has, that they would opt for an all-out pressure attack on PK, rather than sit back and wait. There were a few times on the PK they seemed to sit back when the opportunity was to force the play. With the speed they have, they should have to worry a little less about whether someone can shift in time to cover for them. An aggressive PK like that can only be beat by tic-tac-toe passing, which is difficult to do when time and space are at a premium. I would expect, as the year goes on, to see a more aggressive PK develop and start to see some SH opportunities develop as well as the units become more familiar with each other.

Good observation Koho. I whole-heartedly agree with you.

mnstate0fhockey
10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Pomminville (when asked about Vanek by Buffalo press today): "I knew Gopher Hockey was big there [Minnesota], but I didn't realize just how big until I got there."

D2D
10-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow, three Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 5. Who would have thunk it a month ago?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/227740891.html

Driftryder
10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
They announced the teams in the Mariucci Classic.

Two days after winning the season-opening Ice Breaker Tournament, the Gophers announced the field for its annual Mariucci Classic.

The Jan. 3-4 holiday tournament will feature the host Gophers, Ferris State, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Colgate.

RPI and Ferris State will open the event at 4 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 3, followed by the Gophers and Colgate at 7 p.m. The winners and losers of the opening games will face off on Saturday.

The Gophers have an overall record of 18-3-1 against the participants. Tickets are on sale now