PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Stauber1
01-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Looking ahead to next weekend, the Sunday game (Sun, Mon series) is not televised. Looking through Penn St.'s website I do not see any indication that there will be an internet feed either. Anyone have info to contradict that? I'd certainly be willing to pony up the typical $10-$15 fee in order to watch the game.

Looking ahead 2 weeks, despite our incoming cold snap long-term weather projections show daytime highs topping out in the mid-30's for the first part of the week heading into the outdoor game. Hopefully things cool off over that Thu and Fri (but not as cold as it is this week! :mad:) as it would be good to have 2-3 days of consistent sub-freezing temps and minimal sun for the sake of ice quality.

firstpusk
01-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Holl's dive was spectacular last night... you guys must be proud.:D Somewhere there's a cepis smiling...

Not as proud as you must be of your team's conference GAA (3.2). Stellar. ;)

FlagDUDE08
01-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Not as proud as you must be of your team's conference GAA (3.2). Stellar. ;)

They let up a six-spot on the cupcakes you beat last night.

D2D
01-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Anyone else notice how lethargic Mike Reilly looked last night? In this morning's paper one of the other defensemen commented that the shorthanded D-corps got pretty tired on Friday night, with just the five available playing lots of minutes. Either that really took a toll on No. 5 or maybe he wasn't feeling well; in either case he sure wasn't his normal self. In any case, it was sure nice to have Skjei back in the lineup, and it was a great time for Marshall to step up and play one of his best games of the season.

Stauber1
01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Anyone else notice how lethargic Mike Reilly looked last night? In this morning's paper one of the other defensemen commented that the shorthanded D-corps got pretty tired on Friday night, with just the five available playing lots of minutes. Either that really took a toll on No. 5 or maybe he wasn't feeling well; in either case he sure wasn't his normal self. In any case, it was sure nice to have Skjei back in the lineup, and it was a great time for Marshall to step up and play one of his best games of the season.

I myself didn't notice that. He didn't jump out at me much, but I thought he looked solid all night. I will say that if playing 1 game with 5 D is enough to take a toll on them for the next night then conditioning is an issue. Top defensemen in college hockey routinely log more minutes than other defensemen. Given the way the D were managed and the way ice time was spread out across them on Friday, that shouldn't have been an issue in my opinion.

I agree about Marshall. He's a guy with room under the ceiling to ratchet it up a notch, and if he does it will go a long way to making this team more playoff-prepared.

D2D
01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
I myself didn't notice that. He didn't jump out at me much, but I thought he looked solid all night. I will say that if playing 1 game with 5 D is enough to take a toll on them for the next night then conditioning is an issue. Top defensemen in college hockey routinely log more minutes than other defensemen. Given the way the D were managed and the way ice time was spread out across them on Friday, that shouldn't have been an issue in my opinion.

Not sure if you saw the game in person, but if you did and were paying attention it was very obvious. And believe me I'm a HUGE Mike Reilly fan; he just didn't look his normal self.

Slap Shot
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Holl's dive was spectacular last night... you guys must be proud.:D Somewhere there's a cepis smiling...

Your real name is Melvin isn't it.

5mn_Major
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM

He seemed ok on the stream I saw last night...but I wasn't watching him so much. I will say I was at the game the previous nite and M Reilly was all over the ice on Friday. It seemed like he was double shifting. In the end, he played a very good game on Friday. Probably ran out of gas.

The Rube
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Still undefeated in 2014. I like it.

/voiceofreason

:D

Bonin21
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Check your calendar

The Rube
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Typo. Stupid fat fingers.

goldy_331
01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Looking ahead to next weekend, the Sunday game (Sun, Mon series) is not televised. Looking through Penn St.'s website I do not see any indication that there will be an internet feed either. Anyone have info to contradict that? I'd certainly be willing to pony up the typical $10-$15 fee in order to watch the game.

The Blue Line Club is hosting a viewing party on Sunday night at McNamara Alumni Center, 6-9 PM, no charge for Alumni and Blue Line Club members. I don't know whose feed they are using.

gopher wes
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I was very disappointed on Friday night. It's frustrating to not be in the championship game of your own tourney. The bounce back on Saturday was nice, but didn't atone for Friday in my book. I hope they go on a tear here and take care of business, I have to keep telling myself "it was only a tie" even though it felt like a loss so it's not the end of the world.

The only two positives I took from this weekend:
1. Boyd was the best player on the ice (in the Gophers' games) this weekend IMO. His hustle and grit were maybe the best I've seen from him. And I would have posted this even if he hadn't scored the two goals on the weekend(although that goal on Saturday was a beaut!).
2. Really glad to see Rau pick up some points this weekend. It would be awesome if he took this team on his shoulders and carried them. His hustle and leadership by example could prove valuable down the stretch.

mnstate0fhockey
01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I was very disappointed on Friday night. It's frustrating to not be in the championship game of your own tourney. The bounce back on Saturday was nice, but didn't atone for Friday in my book. I hope they go on a tear here and take care of business, I have to keep telling myself "it was only a tie" even though it felt like a loss so it's not the end of the world.

The only two positives I took from this weekend:
1. Boyd was the best player on the ice (in the Gophers' games) this weekend IMO. His hustle and grit were maybe the best I've seen from him. And I would have posted this even if he hadn't scored the two goals on the weekend(although that goal on Saturday was a beaut!).
2. Really glad to see Rau pick up some points this weekend. It would be awesome if he took this team on his shoulders and carried them. His hustle and leadership by example could prove valuable down the stretch.

Agree completely on your thoughts on Boyd and Rau.

gopher wes
01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Agree completely on your thoughts on Boyd and Rau.
Couldn't find many other bright spots on the weekend.

What did you think of the line shake-ups from Friday to Saturday?

5mn_Major
01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Yeah.

Its really cool to have the third line say...you know what, we can take control and score. I don't think you break up that line again. I also think its a good idea to put them as our 'first line'. It rewards the third line and gives them confidence. It puts two other uber talented lines (even if they've been down on production) against other teams second and third lines. And hopefully it gets them upset and they keep motivation high to become the top line again. The top goal right now is to get those other two lines jumpstarted...and this move could be what's needed.

And C Reilly has turned out to be the other big surprise so far IMO.

Ambroz Serratore Boyd
Rau Fasching Warning
Condon Kloos Cammy
C Reilly, Lettieri, Guertler (with the other guys rotated in)

Driftryder
01-06-2014, 11:05 AM

I agree that the "tie" was a bit disappointing, but I also think they (Colgate) were a much better team than anyone thought.

gopher wes
01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
I agree that the "tie" was a bit disappointing, but I also think they (Colgate) were a much better team than anyone thought.
As it turns out, yes. That doesn't forgive the **** poor effort they put forward on Friday night IMO, shorthanded or not.

mnstate0fhockey
01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Couldn't find many other bright spots on the weekend.

What did you think of the line shake-ups from Friday to Saturday?

Personally, I liked the shakeups. I think putting Cammarata on a line with a big body like Fasching will open up some more space for him. If he and Rau can develop some chemistry, that line could be scary with Fasching disrupting in front of the net. The top two lines we saw on Saturday are the top two lines I projected pre-season (with Condon and Rau centering).

gopher wes
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Personally, I liked the shakeups. I think putting Cammarata on a line with a big body like Fasching will open up some more space for him. If he and Rau can develop some chemistry, that line could be scary with Fasching disrupting in front of the net. The top two lines we saw on Saturday are the top two lines I projected pre-season (with Condon and Rau centering).
Yeah, hopefully it sparks something. The only part I don't like about moving Cammy is that I thought he and Kloos had some good stuff going on(even despite Condon being pretty worthless so far this year).