PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

HarleyMC
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Question I have is, if they don't think he's able to make it back, do they bring Steven Johnson in next semester? He's graduated high school, so he could come in if necessary.

I'd be very surprised to see that happen. Not sure if it's even possible to enroll Johnson in classes at this point. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is for one academic year in exchange for the institution awarding financial aid for one academic year. The student-athlete scholarship package is based upon course enrollment and the enrollment deadline for Spring 2014 has already passed. I'm sure the Omaha Lancers would not react favorably to a sudden midseason departure from their roster either.

With the skill level we have on D this season I think we'll be ok even if Jake can't make it back.

5mn_Major
12-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah...even if it were the right thing to do, I have to believe bringing in Johnson is not an option. It just never happens.

gopher wes
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Well Reilly had a fumble that gave MSU a goal that was completely his fault. Brodzinki fumbled a couple passes and took a bad angle. A couple other D had positioning errors last night. What are the Marshall haters on GPL going to talk about with no Marshall to rip last night. Reilly's coughing up the puck was worse than anything I've seen from Marshall this year.

(Just to be clear, I see all those mis-haps as things that are going to happen and am not saying those D played poorly. Just pointing out how people each season seem to pick a D goat and look for any little error they make while overlooking the rest of their play, meanwhile writing off errors other D make. And I'm also sorry to air this on here and not GPL, but I can't access this site at work, and fear if I post on GPL, I won't be able to look at that at work either.)

Looks like a good thing Brodzinski isn't being mentioned for Juniors this year. With Skjei gone, that leaves them with 5 now. Another injured D would be devastating. So since I am too lazy too look, can someone tell me how many games US Juniors players will miss? Hope Parenteau is back this year.
I posted on GPL Friday night that M. Reilly had channeled his inner Ben Marshall.:) I thought he played very poorly on Friday but bounced back quite well on Saturday. I've been a big Marshall basher, but I don't think other guys are above criticism.

-Condon has looked lackluster for the better part of this year. As a captain, I think he really needs to kick it into gear. I will say I thought he looked like he was back to his usual, speedy self this weekend though, just not producing points and goals at the clip most would like to see out of a senior. Previously he had just looked slow so I'm thinking he may have been sick or something...?
-Warning has been pretty average and, I'd say, verging on bad since his hot start. Just making bad decisions with the puck.

-Cammy was the best player on the ice on Friday night.

mnstate0fhockey
12-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd be very surprised to see that happen. Not sure if it's even possible to enroll Johnson in classes at this point. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is for one academic year in exchange for the institution awarding financial aid for one academic year. The student-athlete scholarship package is based upon course enrollment and the enrollment deadline for Spring 2014 has already passed. I'm sure the Omaha Lancers would not react favorably to a sudden midseason departure from their roster either.

With the skill level we have on D this season I think we'll be ok even if Jake can't make it back.

I checked around, and I am not 100% positive, but believe it is possible.

No doubt we'll be ok if Jake can't make it back, but it would put us in bad spot if another defender were to get hurt and miss significant time or get hurt at the end of the season and leave us with 5 defenders in the post season.

Biggest drawback I can think of for bringing Johnson in early is it would burn some of his eligibility for the future.

Not saying they should do it, but it is something worth considering if they don't think Jake will be back this season.

mnstate0fhockey
12-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I posted on GPL Friday night that M. Reilly had channeled his inner Ben Marshall.:) I thought he played very poorly on Friday but bounced back quite well on Saturday. I've been a big Marshall basher, but I don't think other guys are above criticism.

-Condon has looked lackluster for the better part of this year. As a captain, I think he really needs to kick it into gear. I will say I thought he looked like he was back to his usual, speedy self this weekend though, just not producing points and goals at the clip most would like to see out of a senior. Previously he had just looked slow so I'm thinking he may have been sick or something...?
-Warning has been pretty average and, I'd say, verging on bad since his hot start. Just making bad decisions with the puck.

Good observations all around Wes. Agree with everything: Condon, Warning, Cammarata, etc...

gopher wes
12-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Good observations all around Wes. Agree with everything: Condon, Warning, Cammarata, etc...
Thanks. I was trying to show Koho that Marshall isn't the only player I am critical of.;)

Hoping for a good holiday break to get the boys and getting some guys healthy for a strong second half, Serratore and Vinni specifically.

5mn_Major
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM

IMO our players are not 'bad' but rather fan expectations get too high based on stellar plays or scoring streaks that are very difficult to maintain. This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings and our top handful of players are being criticized. In general, defensemen just get waay too many criticisms...just look at the point load our gopher D carry vs. defensemen on any other team. Marshall has had a few lapses but has been solid overall...and M Reilly has been outstanding. My opinion.

firstpusk
12-09-2013, 02:29 PM
IMO our players are not 'bad' but rather fan expectations get too high based on stellar plays or scoring streaks that are very difficult to maintain. This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings and our top handful of players are being criticized. In general, defensemen just get waay too many criticisms...just look at the point load our gopher D carry vs. defensemen on any other team. Marshall has had a few lapses but has been solid overall...and M Reilly has been outstanding. My opinion.

And along the same line, the analysis of Gopher Wes, in my opinion, is not up to the standard I expect of a Gopher fan. No where near enough tArrogance and way too much Chicken Little the sky is falling. I think Lucia should bench him.

D2D
12-09-2013, 02:30 PM
This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings...

No longer at the very top:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

firstpusk
12-09-2013, 02:36 PM
No longer at the very top:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

Now we'll see if Wes starts criticizing a particular SCSU defenseman.

gopher wes
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
And along the same line, the analysis of Gopher Wes, in my opinion, is not up to the standard I expect of a Gopher fan. No where near enough tArrogance and way too much Chicken Little the sky is falling. I think Lucia should bench him.
I would bench me too, but that is a different story.:p;)

I don't think the sky is falling, but I don't think players are above criticism. If you don't agree with my takes, that's fine. I'm not going to jump down your throat if I don't totally agree with your takes, but I expect you(and others) to do the same for mine.

And keep in mind, it's the holiday break. I will get tArrogance in full force for the stretch run in the second half!:D

firstpusk
12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I would bench me too, but that is a different story.:p;)

I don't think the sky is falling, but I don't think players are above criticism. If you don't agree with my takes, that's fine. I'm not going to jump down your throat if I don't totally agree with your takes, but I expect you(and others) to do the same for mine.

And keep in mind, it's the holiday break. I will get tArrogance in full force for the stretch run in the second half!:D

The break is just what you need to pump up tArrogance. Although I am worried about you. You mentioned respect in your post. Perhaps an extended Christmas bender would be a good way to cleanse concerns about R-E-S-P-E-C-T and embrace tArrogance?

gopher wes
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
The break is just what you need to pump up tArrogance. Although I am worried about you. You mentioned respect in your post. Perhaps an extended Christmas bender would be a good way to cleanse concerns about R-E-S-P-E-C-T and embrace tArrogance?
Don't worry about me. Apparently I'm just a defenseman criticizer, but that doesn't mean I can't get tArrogance cranked up.:p

5mn_Major
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM

And of course posters are not above criticism either.

Having said that, bring on the so-called 'B1G'!

RockTheWhit
12-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah...even if it were the right thing to do, I have to believe bringing in Johnson is not an option. It just never happens.

Two instances come to mind. SCSU brought in Joe Rehkamp for the second semester two seasons ago. They had a similar problem (had a guy to go major junior and some injury issues). Only difference was that Rehkamp hadn't previously signed anywhere.
Another was Andy Miele at Miami. He had to go back to junior for an additional semester because of academic eligibility issues. He was able to get things figured out, so Miami brought him to school for the second semester.

Koho
12-09-2013, 10:32 PM

There are a couple who think they are....

Koho
12-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Oh yeah, and I am never wrong, so there is nothing to be critical about with my comments.

HarleyMC
12-10-2013, 01:34 AM
I checked around, and I am not 100% positive, but believe it is possible.

No doubt we'll be ok if Jake can't make it back, but it would put us in bad spot if another defender were to get hurt and miss significant time or get hurt at the end of the season and leave us with 5 defenders in the post season.

Biggest drawback I can think of for bringing Johnson in early is it would burn some of his eligibility for the future.

Not saying they should do it, but it is something worth considering if they don't think Jake will be back this season.

I think you're right they might be able to pull it off if the Gopher coaching staff feels they need the depth at D with a recruit like Johnson. But I suspect they'd have to act now under some special student-athlete enrollment circumstances. My thinking is they might be banking on Jake's return before season end. But if they determine later Jake can't make it back...it's probably too late at that point to call up a kid like Johnson long after classes have begun. Checked around a little too and learned OSU recently offered the Dubuque Fighting Saints goalie Christian Frey a scholly and he's jumped at it (CHN (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/12/04_ohio_state_adding_ushl_goalie.php)) and will join the Buckeyes asap to fill a vacancy in nets left by their starting and backup goalies.

ScoobyDoo
12-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Or they figure out one of their lesser forwards and start training that guy as a defensemen.

mnstate0fhockey
12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I think you're right they might be able to pull it off if the Gopher coaching staff feels they need the depth at D with a recruit like Johnson. But I suspect they'd have to act now under some special student-athlete enrollment circumstances. My thinking is they might be banking on Jake's return before season end. But if they determine later Jake can't make it back...it's probably too late at that point to call up a kid like Johnson long after classes have begun. Checked around a little too and learned OSU recently offered the Dubuque Fighting Saints goalie Christian Frey a scholly and he's jumped at it (CHN (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/12/04_ohio_state_adding_ushl_goalie.php)) and will join the Buckeyes asap to fill a vacancy in nets left by their starting and backup goalies.

Exactly what I was thinking Harley. If they are going to bring him in, they would have to make that decision very soon.