PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

5mn_Major
12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I didn't even mention the forwards who also mis-handled pucks (as every college player does at times).

Your not alone. Its kind of sad how typically the defensemen bear the brunt of team criticism. Forwards have to really stink up the bed in order to get the level of criticism that a good defenseman who makes turnovers gets. Holy Hannah was Chris Harrington maligned on these boards...and the only defensemen to score more than Chris were Goligoski, Ballard and P Martin. Although Reilly's turnover led to the goal, it happens every game...his was a case where it was very obvious.

mnstate0fhockey
12-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Just thought of this. If Parenteau isn't back by the Mariucci Classic, the Gophers will also be without Skjei as he will be playing in the WJC. That will leave the Gophers with 5 defensemen for the Classic: Reilly, Marshall, Holl, Brodzinski, and Bischoff. Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?

Slap Shot
12-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Just thought of this. If Parenteau isn't back by the Mariucci Classic, the Gophers will also be without Skjei as he will be playing in the WJC. That will leave the Gophers with 5 defensemen for the Classic: Reilly, Marshall, Holl, Brodzinski, and Bischoff. Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?

Off the top of my head none played regularly from HS on, but I could see perhaps Serratore, Ambroz or Michaelson back there, maybe even C. Reilly. That could be a total crap observation and free free to shoot holes in it, but they have time to skate someone there in practice if they think it will be necessary for 1 or 2 games.

4four4
12-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Look for the 1-2-2 system during the classic if that is the case.;)

D2D
12-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?

The same thought crossed my mind, and I don't know the answer. One can safely presume that Lucia and Guentzel are mulling this over also. The good news I guess is they have plenty of time to prepare...

mnstate0fhockey
12-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Look for the 1-2-2 system during the classic if that is the case.;)

:p:D

mnstate0fhockey
12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the thoughts on the questions guys. Will be interesting to see what they do.

state of hockey
12-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Serratore seems the most likely to me, but I'm no coach.

SanTropez
12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
... except Serratore will be out for 2 months.

Maybe Lucia will tell Skjei sorry you have to stay behind and play for the Gophers.

state of hockey
12-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Whoops. Boyd? C. Reilly might make a good partner for his brother.

Stauber1
12-08-2013, 12:10 AM
My guess is that they will just roll 5 D for those two games and work the extra player into the 3rd and 4th lines.
I'm sure they will have a forward or two take some reps in practice, but I don't see a forward taking a regular shift at D unless there is another injury. It's only two games.

mnstate0fhockey
12-08-2013, 12:13 AM

Maybe Lucia will tell Skjei sorry you have to stay behind and play for the Gophers.

Is Serratore really out two months? Was there a break or ligament damage involved? I thought it was just a sprain? I know sprains (especially high ankle ones) can have a longer recovery time than you'd think, but I am surprised he'll be out a few months.

HarleyMC
12-08-2013, 06:33 AM
As I suspected, when it was announced Jake was undergoing an x ray NOT an MRI, he broke his leg and will have surgery Monday in Minneapolis. That's most likely 3-4 months recovery time before he's anywhere near ready to practice. The report is he's out indefinitely. A lot depends on the extent of the break and healing time, but my guess is Jake's season could be over. Even if he came back around playoff time, he would need significant ice time to get his conditioning up to playoff game pace. Jake was having a good season, so I'm sure it's very disappointing and I wish him the best in his recovery...he'll be missed. He typically doesn't log a lot of SOG or pts., but he's been a fearless, dependable and physical defender this season on the backline and is second in goal differential with a +13 (M. Reilly/+14).

I'd be surprised to see any forwards moving back to D for the MC despite the depletion at D during the WJC. I think their conditioning will be strong enough to rotate 5 D for only 2 games.

Serratore had an MRI last Wednesday that indicated a connective tissue sprain (probably Grade II), the most common being an inversion sprain to the medial or lateral ligament in the ankle area due to a partial tear. Lucia was quoted as hoping Serratore will be back for the MC against Colgate (Jan. 3-4), so I would assume the MRI indicated a partial inversion sprain.

mnstate0fhockey
12-08-2013, 10:00 AM
As I suspected, when it was announced Jake was undergoing an x ray NOT an MRI, he broke his leg and will have surgery Monday in Minneapolis. That's most likely 3-4 months recovery time before he's anywhere near ready to practice. The report is he's out indefinitely. A lot depends on the extent of the break and healing time, but my guess is Jake's season could be over. Even if he came back around playoff time, he would need significant ice time to get his conditioning up to playoff game pace. Jake was having a good season, so I'm sure it's very disappointing and I wish him the best in his recovery...he'll be missed. He typically doesn't log a lot of SOG or pts., but he's been a fearless, dependable and physical defender this season on the backline and is second in goal differential with a +13 (M. Reilly/+14).

I'd be surprised to see any forwards moving back to D for the MC despite the depletion at D during the WJC. I think their conditioning will be strong enough to rotate 5 D for only 2 games.

Serratore had an MRI last Wednesday that indicated a connective tissue sprain (probably Grade II), the most common being an inversion sprain to the medial or lateral ligament in the ankle area due to a partial tear. Lucia was quoted as hoping Serratore will be back for the MC against Colgate (Jan. 3-4), so I would assume the MRI indicated a partial inversion sprain.

Like you said, depends on how bad the break was. Surgery will actually speed up his recovery time. I broke my leg in two places in high school and was cleared to compete in athletics in two months. I wouldn't write off his season quite yet.

Thanks for the info on Serratore Harley, I was worried he'd be out for an extended period of time too.

I agree on your take regarding skating 5 defenders during the Classic. Thankfully it will only be for two games.

HarleyMC
12-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Like you said, depends on how bad the break was. Surgery will actually speed up his recovery time. I broke my leg in two places in high school and was cleared to compete in athletics in two months. I wouldn't write off his season quite yet.

Thanks for the info on Serratore Harley, I was worried he'd be out for an extended period of time too.

I agree on your take regarding skating 5 defenders during the Classic. Thankfully it will only be for two games.

Did you break the Fib and Tib? That's a quick healing turnaround bro! I have no idea how extensive Jake's fracture is. As you mentioned healing times tend to vary based upon the pattern and location of the fracture and there are always risks and benefits with any treatment option. But the mean healing time is usually about 12 weeks (low energy fracture: 10-13 weeks; high energy fracture: 13-20 weeks and that's just fractural union not recovery time) and then often a couple more weeks before 100% weight can be put on the leg. I feel bad for Jake, it's going to take a lot of work on his part to return to game form. Thankfully I never broke a leg in hockey, but lots of painful ankle stuff like Serratore.

EDIT:

Tweets:

Mike Eidelbes ‏@INCH
Per Don Lucia, Parenteau broke his leg last night. He’ll have surgery in Mpls Monday. Docs will determine time on shelf—could be 8 wks.

Jake Parenteau @jacobjames6
Just want to say thanks to my family, friends, teammates and fans for all the support! Means a lot! #PrideOnIce

mnstate0fhockey
12-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Did you break the Fib and Tib? That's a quick healing turnaround bro! I have no idea how extensive Jake's fracture is. As you mentioned healing times tend to vary based upon the pattern and location of the fracture and there are always risks and benefits with any treatment option. But the mean healing time is usually about 12 weeks (low energy fracture: 10-13 weeks; high energy fracture: 13-20 weeks and that's just fractural union not recovery time) and then often a couple more weeks before 100% weight can be put on the leg. I feel bad for Jake, it's going to take a lot of work on his part to return to game form. Thankfully I never broke a leg in hockey, but lots of painful ankle stuff like Serratore.

EDIT:

Tweets:

Mike Eidelbes ‏@INCH
Per Don Lucia, Parenteau broke his leg last night. He’ll have surgery in Mpls Monday. Docs will determine time on shelf—could be 8 wks.

Jake Parenteau @jacobjames6
Just want to say thanks to my family, friends, teammates and fans for all the support! Means a lot! #PrideOnIce

I broke my Tibia and Fibula by my ankle and my Tibia up by my knee. All the same injury. Had pins placed by my ankle, and a cast well above my knee. Had the cast removed at about 8 weeks and was playing again shortly after. I'm guessing it will take a bit longer for Jake to get full strength back in that leg though. I wasn't playing at the level of competition he is :)

Oddly, I broke my collar bone in college and that seemed to take much longer to heal. Didn't have surgery and only had a sling. Didn't feel totally healed for quite some time.

I feel bad for Jake too. Kid is all heart though and I am hoping he works his way back this year.

Question I have is, if they don't think he's able to make it back, do they bring Steven Johnson in next semester? He's graduated high school, so he could come in if necessary.

Steve_MN
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Definitely a shame for Jake to get hurt like this, hoping he makes a full recovery.

On the plus side, if he's out for the 8 weeks, with the month off before play resumes, that's half of his recovery time right there. Things will be tight until the players get back from WJC, but after that, should be OK for a few weeks until Jake makes it back.

5mn_Major
12-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Its probably a right call that they won't be moving anyone back. They'll still have 6. Even so, I have to imagine that someone will be practicing skating backwards some...yet another injury on the blue line may mean the need for a forward to move back.

D2D
12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Its probably a right call that they won't be moving anyone back. They'll still have 6. Even so, I have to imagine that someone will be practicing skating backwards some...yet another injury on the blue line may mean the need for a forward to move back.

Kind of ironic how last year we had a surplus of defensemen to the point of moving a couple of them up to play forward, and if I recall correctly besides Holl Jake played a fair amount up there as well. But now the situation is reversed and we are asking which of the forwards, if necessary, could be called upon to move back to the blue line.

mnstate0fhockey
12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Definitely a shame for Jake to get hurt like this, hoping he makes a full recovery.

On the plus side, if he's out for the 8 weeks, with the month off before play resumes, that's half of his recovery time right there. Things will be tight until the players get back from WJC, but after that, should be OK for a few weeks until Jake makes it back.

I agree Steve. It is great timing (hesitant to use the word great with anything involving an injury) that this happened right before a month break. I also agree that we should be able to get by if it is only a month he'll be out, but it would be risky. If another defender should go down, or if Jake has a setback, we won't be able to bring anyone else in if we don't do it right at the start of the semester. That's why I am wondering if it wouldn't smart to bring Steven Johnson in early.