PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Koho
12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Boyd is another one people like to be critical of. He generated one of the goals, and he had like 3 'Holy Chit' moves this weekend. (More often like one every three weeks.) He is a hard worker. There is no one on this team I am completely down on.

And I hate to harp on Marshall being a target, but if a guy falls down, it happens and isn't something they have control over. (I realize the post elsewhere didn't say one way or another if he was blaming Marshall, but I remember him being blamed on a ND goal when the pass to the point was behind him and he seemed to catch an edge as he was skating backward so stumbled as he reached back, giving the ND player a break away.

I feel like there are a lot of people who judge only on the obvious things (guy loses puck or skates through 4 other guys to set up a goal) and don't always take into account all the less obvious things (hitting guys on breakouts versus dumping, coming away from boards with puck, challenging odd man rushes and tying up loose players.)

So with that in mind, how do people rank these Defender (ignore offensive ability - defensive ability only - when other team has the puck) this year: Reilly. Marshall, Skjei?

Stauber1
12-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Boyd is another one people like to be critical of. He generated one of the goals, and he had like 3 'Holy Chit' moves this weekend. (More often like one every three weeks.) He is a hard worker. There is no one on this team I am completely down on.

And I hate to harp on Marshall being a target, but if a guy falls down, it happens and isn't something they have control over. (I realize the post elsewhere didn't say one way or another if he was blaming Marshall, but I remember him being blamed on a ND goal when the pass to the point was behind him and he seemed to catch an edge as he was skating backward so stumbled as he reached back, giving the ND player a break away.

I feel like there are a lot of people who judge only on the obvious things (guy loses puck or skates through 4 other guys to set up a goal) and don't always take into account all the less obvious things (hitting guys on breakouts versus dumping, coming away from boards with puck, challenging odd man rushes and tying up loose players.)

So with that in mind, how do people rank these Defender (ignore offensive ability - defensive ability only - when other team has the puck) this year: Reilly. Marshall, Skjei?

That's easy.
1. Skjei
2. Marshall
3. Reilly

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Marshall makes some simple, mental mistakes but you can't overlook all the great stuff he does as well.

I've seen people compare Marshall to Fairchild and Harrington. I don't think either of those comparisons are legitimate. Marshall is better defensively than either of those guys were.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 04:23 PM

It was I who mentioned Marshall falling and it being the result of a goal. I didn't bring it up to harp on Marshall, I brought it up to demonstrate that we really weren't out played as much as was being suggested by some here after last night's game. Warning made a bad pass that led to a goal, Marshall fell down while trying to control a puck in the defensive zone that led to more defensive zone time and a bad line change.

I think Marshall's fall was far from being an obvious cause for the goal that was scored, but it was clearly the catalyst. It led to extended time in the defensive zone, which led to tired players, which led to a bad line change. Not laying fault on Marshall (as I said these things happen), but it wasn't obvious analysis. I remember watching him fail to get the puck up the ice and out of our zone and kept thinking to myself as I watched us work to get posession back, "that's going to cost us". Sure enough, we got the puck to center ice, players were tired and changed prematurely, and the Badgers capitalized off the bad line change.

I'd say the Gophers were outplayed in the first, both teams carried stretches of the second, and the Gophers carried play a majority of the third.

In fact, the biggest issue I had with Saturday's game had nothing to do with Marshall or Boyd. It was the lack of forecheck early on in the game and I think the Boyd, Ambroz, Serratore line actually turned that around with their physical play.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
That's easy.
1. Skjei
2. Marshall
3. Reilly

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Marshall makes some simple, mental mistakes but you can't overlook all the great stuff he does as well.

I've seen people compare Marshall to Fairchild and Harrington. I don't think either of those comparisons are legitimate. Marshall is better defensively than either of those guys were.

I read that on GPL too. Comparing Marshall to Fairchild is a stretch.

Koho
12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I read that on GPL too. Comparing Marshall to Fairchild is a stretch.

Just seems like certain posters just have to have a D to ***** about each year.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Just seems like certain posters just have to have a D to ***** about each year.

Yeah, I don't get that either.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I see Mike Eaves is complaining about the disparity in penalties between the teams this weekend.

He does know that officials aren't required to keep that even, right? Perhaps he should get in line behind Wild fans who have watched their team for long stretches not do enough to draw penalties.

Or perhaps Eaves should look at the style of play he teaches and realize it's more conducive to getting called for obstruction (a clear point of emphasis for officials this season) than the style Minnesota plays.

Either way, his whining is becoming embarassing.

Slap Shot
12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
The Gophers received two extra curricular penalties this weekend that were pure garbage, one to Fasching on Fri and to Ambroz on Saturday. Maybe Eaves is a closet Whioux fan.

Hammy
12-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I see Mike Eaves is complaining about the disparity in penalties between the teams this weekend.

He does know that officials aren't required to keep that even, right? Perhaps he should get in line behind Wild fans who have watched their team for long stretches not do enough to draw penalties.

I think it is sort of a natural tendency for people to assume that if there is any disparity, the refs aren't doing their job properly. As if it has to be even (or close to it) for the game to be called correctly. But the reality is a lot of penalties are due to guys not moving their feet well and that really isn't a huge problem for the Gophers.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I think it is sort of a natural tendency for people to assume that if there is any disparity, the refs aren't doing their job properly. As if it has to be even (or close to it) for the game to be called correctly. But the reality is a lot of penalties are due to guys not moving their feet well and that really isn't a huge problem for the Gophers.

Agreed.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 06:14 PM
The Gophers received two extra curricular penalties this weekend that were pure garbage, one to Fasching on Fri and to Ambroz on Saturday. Maybe Eaves is a closet Whioux fan.

Exactly!

goldy_331
12-01-2013, 06:30 PM

I noticed that every penalty on a BADger was cause for hands in the air and long discussions/whining by the BADger. Also very Whioux like. Maybe Eaves is trying to emulate Hak.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Re-watched the game tonight. In my opinion, the game was pretty even the first 12 or so minutes. Then the Badgers had a long 18 minute stretch from 8 minutes left in the first period to the halfway mark of the second where they controlled play. The second half of the second and much of the third, I think the Gophers controlled play more than Wisconsin.

Rewatching, it seemed like the Badgers controlled play more because they had that long stretch where they absolutely bottled us in our zone. But breaking it up into sections and adding up the time, I think it was a fairly evenly played game.

One opinion of mine I reaffirmed by re-viewing the game is that this team needs to be physical on the forecheck more. During the stretch where Wisconsin was really hemming us in our zone, we made it FAR too easy for them to break the puck out. As soon as we became more physical, they weren't as sharp breaking out and that effected their forecheck in our zone. It really turned the tide in this game.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Also want to add, I don't think Condon is 100%. Doesn't have the same burst and although physical play was never his strongest suit, he seemed a little tenative.

Bonin21
12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Also want to add, I don't think Condon is 100%. Doesn't have the same burst and although physical play was never his strongest suit, he seemed a little tenative.
He hasn't impressed me at all the whole year.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
He hasn't impressed me at all the whole year.

Have to say I agree. He is capable of much more, that's for sure.

Greyeagle
12-01-2013, 08:48 PM
I noticed that every penalty on a BADger was cause for hands in the air and long discussions/whining by the BADger. Also very Whioux like. Maybe Eaves is trying to emulate Hak.

And the captain whine session.

ScoobyDoo
12-01-2013, 09:17 PM
And the captain whine session.

They emulate their leader, Eaves.

Stauber1
12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
They emulate their leader, Eaves.

Yep. It's telling when guys get called for a penalty and turn and appeal to their bench.
Not the kind of modeling I would want for leadership or accountability.

D2D
12-01-2013, 10:27 PM

He's definitely lost a step or two. Don't know if it's due to some kind of injury, or a lack of confidence, but this weekend he was not the fastest Gopher skater out there. Hopefully it's just a glitch and he'll resume the blazing speed he was showing earlier.