X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nescac 2013-14

Men's Hockey To Offer Free Admission

October 3, 2013

Due to the construction of a new field house around the Middlebury College athletics complex, there will be no admission charged for men's hockey regular season home games this season. The Panthers open the ’13-’14 campaign on Friday, November 16th at 7:00 p.m. against Bowdoin.
    - See more at: http://www.middlebury.edu/athletics/....ce5qnBoQ.dpuf
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Re: Nescac 2013-14

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
    Men's Hockey To Offer Free Admission

October 3, 2013

Due to the construction of a new field house around the Middlebury College athletics complex, there will be no admission charged for men's hockey regular season home games this season. The Panthers open the ’13-’14 campaign on Friday, November 16th at 7:00 p.m. against Bowdoin.
    - See more at: http://www.middlebury.edu/athletics/....ce5qnBoQ.dpuf
    Do the bathrooms still work?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Do the bathrooms still work?
      No, you have to wear Depends or go outside and pee in the snow.

Comment

No, you have to wear Depends or go outside and pee in the snow.
        Will there be "Beware the Yellow Snow" signs??
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I realize this is women's related, but it should be a good game to watch if you are in the area.

U.S. Women's Hockey Team To Host Finland In Kenyon Arena

October 8, 2013

The U.S. Women’s Hockey National Team will take on Finland in an exhibition game on Friday, November 1st at 12:00 p.m. at Middlebury College’s Kenyon Arena. The game is part of the “Bring on the World Tour” to help prepare the U.S. women for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Admission to the game is free with a suggested donation of $5 to benefit the United Way of Addison County.
          - See more at: http://www.middlebury.edu/athletics/....AzjeNtKq.dpuf

Comment

The Nescac season starts tomorrow. I am moving this to the front page since we will need it on Friday. Will we get two teams to the post season this year?

Comment

The Nescac season starts tomorrow. I am moving this to the front page since we will need it on Friday. Will we get two teams to the post season this year?
              Unless there are two runaway teams and the rest are bunched in the middle, I would say no.

The league is evenly matched and the top 8 are capable of beating each other on any given night. Bowdoin's got to be the favorite, but after that? Roll the dice.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Both USCHO and D3.com have posted predicted orders of finish and there isn't a significant difference between the 2. With no empirical evidence to back up the following, I have a feeling the Colby Mules will finish near the middle (5th?) giving some of the upper echelon teams serious grief. Amherst may slip to 6th or lower, Middlebury & Bowdoin should finish 1-2 with the Panthers a threat for first. Trinity, Williams will be good, but how good? Wesleyan, Conn Coll and Hamilton will duke it out for the final playoff spot as seems to be the seasonal norm. Pretty confident that Tufts will finish ahead of Bates this year. Reserving the right to reconsider the aforementioned come January 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastBias View Post
                  Pretty confident that Tufts will finish ahead of Bates this year.
                  The Jumbos may tie Bates in league points
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastBias View Post
                    Both USCHO and D3.com have posted predicted orders of finish and there isn't a significant difference between the 2. [...] Middlebury & Bowdoin should finish 1-2 with the Panthers a threat for first. Trinity, Williams will be good, but how good? Wesleyan, Conn Coll and Hamilton will duke it out for the final playoff spot as seems to be the seasonal norm. Pretty confident that Tufts will finish ahead of Bates this year.
                    Prognosticators are unanimous in predicting Bowdoin (my Alma Mater) to finish at the top of the regular season standings. On paper the Polar Bears probably have the best combination of offense, defense, goaltending, size and speed, and it's always safe to pick the defending champion, particularly one with the Polar Bears' credentials. However, I don't think it's that simple. In my opinion if Middlebury can solve the goaltending conundrum, it'll be a very difficult team to stop. The Panthers are loaded with skill and speed, and overdue for a regular season championship, their last one having been in 2006.

But there are several other contenders in NESCAC this year. Trinity has excellent goaltending, a promising freshman class, and one of the brightest young coaches in the league. Williams also has top-notch goaltending, in addition to size and skill. Last year I thought the Ephs lacked creativity on offense but maybe this situation will improve with their outstanding entering class. And let's not count out Wesleyan, a good offensive team with solid coaching by Chris Potter & Co.

Colby has good coaching and a strong entering class, but the Mules may be a year away from being a contender again. Though this may sound counter intuitive, as a Bowdoin fan I hope Colby continues to improve, possibly making the Maine trip the most difficult in NESCASC again.
                    Last edited by Euler18; 11-16-2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Nice synopsis Euler!
                      Getting ready to head out to the rink. Watched the annual "Blue and White" scrimmage last weekend. The Panthers are looking pretty sharp for this time of year. I'm jazzed about it. Looks like a promising bunch of freshmen again too! Go Blue!
                      from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
                        Nice synopsis Euler!
                        Getting ready to head out to the rink. Watched the annual "Blue and White" scrimmage last weekend. The Panthers are looking pretty sharp for this time of year. I'm jazzed about it. Looks like a promising bunch of freshmen again too! Go Blue!
                        I watched the Bowdoin-Middlebury game on the NSN network. I was very impressed with the Panthers, who dominated the Polar Bears for most of the contest. Bowdoin's goaltender, Max Fenkell, stole the tie for the Polar Bears.

Comment

MEDIOCRE PERFORMANCES BY THE POLAR BEARS AGAINST TWO OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE EAST

I watched the Bowdoin games against Middlebury and Williams on NSN. As a Bowdoin fan, I was disappointed not so much by the Polar Bears' losses but by HOW the Polar Bears lost.

Let me state first of all that I give full credit to Middlebury and Williams. I was very impressed with both teams. Middlebury has tremendous speed and skill, enough to compensate for any goaltending shortcomings. The Panthers dominated most of the game, and overpowered the Polar Bears in overtime. Bowdoin's goaltender Max Fenkell stole the tie for the Polar Bears. Williams was equally impressive. As I'd said in an earlier post, I thought that last season the Ephs lacked creativity on offense. I don't think this is the case any more. They made some very nice plays in defeating the Polar Bears 5-2 this afternoon. The Ephs' freshman class appears very strong.

For Bowdoin to be successful this season, the Polar Bears need to quickly address several issues. Here are a few:

1. This edition of the Polar Bears is severely prone to defensive breakdowns. These are mental errors, and not exclusively the fault of the defensemen (or, rather, the backs, in Bowdoin's unique system). The forwards also need to attend to their defensive responsibilities.

2. Bowdoin was terrible on faceoffs. The Polar Bears must have lost about 70% of the faceoffs. Against Williams two lost faceoffs resulted in goals by the Ephs.

3. Too many penalties. Bowdoin has taken twenty minutes of penalties in two games. This is like playing a full period shorthanded. Being physical is fine, but the Polar Bears take too many penalties of the less-than-smart variety.

4. Questionable leadership by the senior class so far. The Polar Bears appear to be missing guys like Tim McGarry and Dan Weineger who made the team better just by their presence on the ice. (How does one replace two All Americans?) Harry Matheson did score a nice shorthanded goal against Williams, but Ollie Koo, Colin Downey and Jay Livermore--three of my favorite Bowdoin players--were basically invisible for most of the weekend. I was particularly disappointed in Downey's play, because I think Downey has terrific offensive skills and great hockey sense. But not this weekend... Bottom line: Bowdoin needs its talented seniors to play better. These players have won two NESCAC titles and played in two national tournaments.

The Polar Bears must do some serious regrouping before taking on the White Mules of Colby next weekend.

Re. the NSN broadscasts

The picture quality was fine in broadcast from Middlebury. We were promised more professional announcers than in the past, but the person who worked the Bowdoin-Middlebury game sounded more like a Middlebury student (though I'm sure he wasn't one), constantly complaining about alleged lack of penalty calls against Bowdoin and supposedly missed offsides. (I actually thought that the officials in both games were solid.) Though Bowdoin's Erik Bertin had played regularly since the beginning of the game (as a member of a trio of backs that also included Ryan Carney and Jay Kourkoulis), the announcer stated in the third period that "we're seeing Erik Bertin for the first time." The announcer was unprepared and too focused on Middlebury.

The camera work in the Williams broadcast was absolutely terrible and the graphics were distracting. The NSN banner often obscured the nets. The announcer, however, was very well informed and very well prepared. Special kudos to the Williams undergraduate who did the color commentary. The young man was not only knowledgeable but very fair. He made sure he commented on both teams, and had some very nice words about the Bowdoin players. He represented Williams College well. I remember making the same remark about the fairness of the Williams announcers in the 2011 playoff broadcasts. Maybe it's something they add to the water in Williamstown. :-)
                          Last edited by Euler18; 11-17-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I think both Maine teams looked tired from the travel today. Also, not to take anything away from the outstanding Williams effort, but had Fenkell been in net, I wonder what the score would have been? The games in Maine between these sets of teams will be both interesting and revealing.
                            Last edited by neumyer; 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Euler

The camera @ Williams is a remote hanging from the rafters @ center ice. I think the glass around it needs cleaning, or the focus is in serious need of adjustment. The camera operator is probably looking at a different picture than what we're watching on NSN. I would think the word will go forth and it will be fixed for the next home weekend (I hope).
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X