PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014: NCAA Weekly Pick'em

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44]

Fighting Sioux 23
04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Pick 'em is going big time! I like the scoring system. And the bonus question format. Hopefully we can get an even bigger crowd of regulars next year so I can finish even further from the top.

I'd be happy to help as part of the panel in any capacity. Even though it contradicts all of my morals to collaborate with anyone with "Fighting Sioux" in their screen name :D

:p:D:D

Ideally, I think 50 would be a great target for participants. My guess is that if we do it right, we can get 25-30 regulars for next season.

I'll put you down as the panelist for the NCHC (unless you'd prefer another conference).

So far we have...

Hockey East - FiveHole12
NCHC - HoosierPioneer

Still need volunteers for...

ECAC -
Atlantic Hockey -
WCHA -
Big Ten -

HoosierPioneer
04-15-2014, 10:27 PM

Ideally, I think 50 would be a great target for participants. My guess is that if we do it right, we can get 25-30 regulars for next season.

I'll put you down as the panelist for the NCHC (unless you'd prefer another conference).

So far we have...

Hockey East - FiveHole12
NCHC - HoosierPioneer

Still need volunteers for...

ECAC -
Atlantic Hockey -
WCHA -
Big Ten -

I'm happy to be be a consultant to the cause. If there's anyone out there who's interested in the NCHC, by all means they can have it. If we need someone for Atlantic Hockey when it's all said and done, I can fill that role too. Otherwise I'd be just fine assisting with the mechanics of it all.

Fighting Sioux 23
04-15-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm happy to be be a consultant to the cause. If there's anyone out there who's interested in the NCHC, by all means they can have it. If we need someone for Atlantic Hockey when it's all said and done, I can fill that role too. Otherwise I'd be just fine assisting with the mechanics of it all.

Sounds good to me. I'll pencil you in as a wildcard then.

Hockey East - FiveHole12
Wildcard - HoosierPioneer

Still looking for
NCHC
ECAC
Big Ten
Atlantic Hockey
WCHA

Siouxfaninseattle
04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
How does everyone feel about the following:

We pick 15 games each week, spread throughout the conferences.
Each game in the first half of the season will be worth 2 points.
Each game in the second half of the season will be worth 3 points.
Each series in the Conference Tournaments will be worth 4 points.
Regional Semifinals will be worth 3 points.
Regional Finals will be worth 4 points.
Frozen Four Semifinals will be worth 6 points.
Frozen Four Championship will be worth 8 points.

There will be 1 bonus question each week.
The bonus question will range between 5-10 points.
The bonus question will be scored depending on how close you are to the actual result (i.e. NOT all or nothing).

I will have a volunteer panel.
They will have three primary functions:
1) To submit 4-5 games from their specific conference (i.e. the ECAC panelist will submit 4-5 games featuring ECAC teams) by 11:59 Eastern on Sunday each week;
2) To help collect/input/compute data using an excel spreadsheet (likely through googledocs, but I'm open to other ideas);
3) To help resolve any disputes that come up

If you are interested on being on the panel, please message me (or post in this thread). You won't need to do everything from these functions (for example, if you're not a data guy, and just want to pick games from conference x, that's fine). I already have one person interested for Hockey East, and I'll fill the volunteer positions on a first come, first serve basis. You do not have to be a fan of the conference to be on its panel.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, and let me know if you are interested in volunteering to be part of the panel. Hopefully next year will be the best year of pick'em yet! :p:D:D

Perfect! I would be happy to help. No preference on conference, although since my favorite team plays in the WCHA.....oops, never mind. :D

Fighting Sioux 23
04-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Perfect! I would be happy to help. No preference on conference, although since my favorite team plays in the WCHA.....oops, never mind. :D

I'll place you as a wildcard too. That means we need 3 more for the panel.

SweeneyHawksHockey
04-16-2014, 01:56 PM

The bonus question will be scored depending on how close you are to the actual result (i.e. NOT all or nothing).

I will have a volunteer panel.
They will have three primary functions:
1) To submit 4-5 games from their specific conference (i.e. the ECAC panelist will submit 4-5 games featuring ECAC teams) by 11:59 Eastern on Sunday each week;
2) To help collect/input/compute data using an excel spreadsheet (likely through googledocs, but I'm open to other ideas);
3) To help resolve any disputes that come up

If you are interested on being on the panel, please message me (or post in this thread). You won't need to do everything from these functions (for example, if you're not a data guy, and just want to pick games from conference x, that's fine). I already have one person interested for Hockey East, and I'll fill the volunteer positions on a first come, first serve basis. You do not have to be a fan of the conference to be on its panel.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, and let me know if you are interested in volunteering to be part of the panel. Hopefully next year will be the best year of pick'em yet! :p:D:D

I'm a little late to the party following the Frozen Four but I just wanted to reach out to you (Fighting Sioux 23) and thank you for running this whole contest. I had a lot of fun this year making my picks and following along week to week. One area that I really enjoy about this contest is that the games we are picking week to week span the entire landscape of college hockey rather than focusing on one conference.

I think the scoring system you laid out for next year above is great. Having the point value increase as the season goes on allows for people to make comebacks as well as rewarding a good run in the 2nd half of the season (I know the SIOUX know a little something about 2nd half runs :D).

As for volunteers for next season, I know HoosierPioneer originally volunteered to be on the panel for the NCHC but if they are willing to go for another conference I would be willing to offer my input for the NCHC. This is the conference I follow the closest (Miami) and I think it would be a lot of fun giving my input and helping out with data input.

Once again, thanks for running everything Fighting Sioux 23 and I am already looking forward to next season.

EDIT: I somehow missed that Siouxfaninseattle is offering to be on the panel as well. If they want NCHC that is fine with me I am open to offering input for any conference.

vizoroo
04-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Still would like to see more than 1 bonus question, at least every now and then.:D

Fighting Sioux 23
04-16-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm a little late to the party following the Frozen Four but I just wanted to reach out to you (Fighting Sioux 23) and thank you for running this whole contest. I had a lot of fun this year making my picks and following along week to week. One area that I really enjoy about this contest is that the games we are picking week to week span the entire landscape of college hockey rather than focusing on one conference.

I think the scoring system you laid out for next year above is great. Having the point value increase as the season goes on allows for people to make comebacks as well as rewarding a good run in the 2nd half of the season (I know the SIOUX know a little something about 2nd half runs :D).

As for volunteers for next season, I know HoosierPioneer originally volunteered to be on the panel for the NCHC but if they are willing to go for another conference I would be willing to offer my input for the NCHC. This is the conference I follow the closest (Miami) and I think it would be a lot of fun giving my input and helping out with data input.

Once again, thanks for running everything Fighting Sioux 23 and I am already looking forward to next season.

EDIT: I somehow missed that Siouxfaninseattle is offering to be on the panel as well. If they want NCHC that is fine with me I am open to offering input for any conference.

Thanks, and I'll put you down as another wildcard...hopefully we can get a couple of Eastern fans to help fill out the remaining two spots.

drshoen
04-17-2014, 09:01 AM
I would be willing to help selecting ECAC games. Not really much of a data/excel person, so I'd rather not help with scoring, etc.

Fighting Sioux 23
04-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I would be willing to help selecting ECAC games. Not really much of a data/excel person, so I'd rather not help with scoring, etc.

I think we have enough help on the tech side, so that would be great if you could be the ECAC panelist and help pick those games.

That means that we have:

Hockey East: FiveHole12
ECAC: drshoen
Wildcard: HoosierPioneer, SiouxfaininSeattle, and SweeneyHawksHockey

If we could get an Eastern fan to do Atlantic Hockey, then all we will need is to have a fight to the near-death for the wildcards to determine who gets the NCHC, WCHA, and B1G :p:D:D