Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014: NCAA Weekly Pick'em

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    We still have quite a few people who haven't picked yet this week, so just a reminder that your picks need to be in by 7:00pm Eastern TONIGHT!!
    Miami @ Providence started at 5:20. Looks like I got my picks in just in time!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

1) All picks must be in by the drop of the puck of the FIRST game in the bunch. This week, that is FRIDAY at 7:00pm Eastern! (The 4pm Brown-Yale matchup is not an "away" game by either team)
      2) No late picks will be allowed. No exceptions. This means that if you post your picks on Friday at 7:10pm Eastern, you will not receive credit for your picks
      Did they change the time of the Providence game? You might have a conundrum now, having said that the cutoff is 7:00 and Providence is already on the board. Maybe you just post the first rule as merely the first sentence, and avoid mistakes or schedule changes.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Friday:
        Michigan Tech @ Northern Michigan - Northern Michigan
        Dartmouth vs. Princeton - Dartmouth
        Miami @ Providence - Miami
        Boston College @ Minnesota - Minnesota
        Cornell @ Nebraska Omaha - Nebraska Omaha

Saturday:
        Sacred Heart @ American International - AIC
        Boston University @ Michigan State - BU
        Notre Dame @ Minnesota Duluth - Minnesota Duluth
        Colorado College @ Clarkson - Colorado College
        New Hampshire @ Rensselaer - RPI

BONUS (5 points if correct, otherwise 0 points)
        Total Goals Scored in the US Under-18 @ North Dakota exhibition - 8
        Total number of victories by road teams (read: away, not neutral) on Friday through Sunday - 12
        What did you say?
        Who own the Chiefs?
        What did he say?
        Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Did they change the time of the Providence game? You might have a conundrum now, having said that the cutoff is 7:00 and Providence is already on the board. Maybe you just post the first rule as merely the first sentence, and avoid mistakes or schedule changes.
          I'm not sure if they changed the time, or if USCHO just had it wrong. When I picked the games for the week, it had a 7:00pm puck drop.

In general, the rule is the first sentence, and the following is explanation of the rule. Given that it really didn't make a difference (the only poster to put predictions in following the actual drop of the puck of the first game was gochiefs, and gochiefs picked Miami, who lost), I'll follow the reasonable reliance theory and allow gochiefs picks to count for this week.

I like to post the games for people to pick as early as I can to allow as many posters to participate as possible. When I do that, I'm picking games based on USCHO's scoreboard on a Sunday or Monday. Apparently, things change as far as game times and the like between then and Friday. Perhaps to avoid this particular issue in the future I'll consider changing the rule to enforce a Noon Eastern deadline for predictions.

As for Friday's games, congrats to both PcFriars13 and SanTropez for going 4-0-1 to grab the early lead for this week. Also, there were 7 road winners on Friday. Of the 29 posters to predict this week, only 9 are over .500 heading into Saturday's picks, while 11 are below .500 (meaning 9 are right at .500). Good luck to everyone tonight and tomorrow, and may the best poster win!
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Glad to see that you're counting gochiefs picks, though he should probably get a 2 point penalty for picking a team that was down 2-0 at the time he posted his picks.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Glad to see that you're counting gochiefs picks, though he should probably get a 2 point penalty for picking a team that was down 2-0 at the time he posted his picks.

Basically, I didn't count that game for gochiefs. Even if Miami would have held on for the draw (or won), gochiefs would not have received points for that particular game.
              North Dakota

Comment

Basically, I didn't count that game for gochiefs. Even if Miami would have held on for the draw (or won), gochiefs would not have received points for that particular game.
                That's ok. I remembered that I had not done my picks yet and it was 6:45. I had no idea what was going on with the Providence/Miami game. I don't always check this board so I did not realize the game was starting early.
                What did you say?
                Who own the Chiefs?
                What did he say?
                Owns! Owns!

Comment

(the only poster to put predictions in following the actual drop of the puck of the first game was gochiefs, and gochiefs picked Miami, who lost), I'll follow the reasonable reliance theory and allow gochiefs picks to count for this week.
                  Thanks but it would be ok to disqualify me for the week too.
                  What did you say?
                  Who own the Chiefs?
                  What did he say?
                  Owns! Owns!

Comment

Not a good week for the predictors! Our average was 8 points this week, with only 8 (of 29) posters correctly predicting over .500. The last bonus question is still up for grabs today. Over Friday and Saturday, 13 road teams (if my quick tabulation was correct) won. If that number stays at 13, nobody will have correctly guessed that bonus question, and FiveHole12 and UML will share the top spot this week with 15 points.. If one of the two road teams win today, then HoosierPioneer will claim the top spot this week with 16 points, and Uncle Ray will be atop the overall standings. If both road teams win today, then PcFriars13 will claim the top spot with 16 points, both this week, and overall.

Terrance claimed the first bonus, as 5 goals were scored, thanks to an empty net goal from center ice with 0.1 seconds left on the clock. Had that goal missed (or been too late), nobody would have claimed that bonus.

Anyway, I'll try and have the next set of games ready for prediction either late tonight or tomorrow some time. Good luck today to those with chances at winning some points!
                    North Dakota

Comment

Ha, not a good week for predictions indeed if I'm in contention, considering how I thought my picks were doing! Then again, it's why we love college hockey, right? I'll take it for a first time attempt.
                      University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                      Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                        I think a bonus question should be how may places UncleRay will fall this week?
                        Ha! And the world has assumed the natural order of things: with the rest of you plebes looking up at me. Get used to it, little people, my reign will be long and brutal. My adoring fans have probably already starting flinging flowers at my feet.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Truthfully, a more likely scenario will see me going about 1-9 next week and falling to about 248th place.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Ha! And the world has assumed the natural order of things: with the rest of you plebes looking up at me. Get used to it, little people, my reign will be long and brutal. My adoring fans have probably already starting flinging flowers at my feet.
                            Don't get too comfy in that lofty spot - I'm comin' for ya!

Truthfully, a more likely scenario will see sfis going about 0-10 next week and falling to about 248th place.
                            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Well, with both home teams winning yesterday, nobody correctly guessed the second bonus question. Consequently, here are the results from this week...

Week 4 Standings:
                              t1. FiveHole12 - 15 points (7-2-1)
                              t1. UML - 15 points (7-2-1)
                              3. Terrance - 12 points (3-6-1 + bonus)
                              t4. PcFriars13 - 11 points (5-4-1)
                              t4. 1988 - 11 points (5-4-1)
                              t4. Laker Dude - 11 points (5-4-1)
                              t4. all bear - 11 points (5-4-1)
                              t4. drshoen - 11 points (5-4-1)
                              t4. HoosierPioneer - 11 points (5-4-1)

t10th - 9 points (4-5-1)
                              gochiefs
                              FearTheWarrior
                              brhull169
                              SanTropez
                              blackbearbone

t15th - 7 points (3-6-1)
                              Uncle Ray
                              aygwm2
                              SiouxFaninSeattle
                              driftryder
                              bigblue_dl
                              97osu
                              mcfarljd

t22. 5 points (2-7-1)
                              Shirtless Bob
                              FS23
                              SweeneyHawksHockey

t25. 3 points (1-8-1)
                              Aerman
                              darker98
                              Irish08
                              vizoroo
                              Red Cows

Overall Standings: (top ten)
                              1. Uncle Ray - 57 points (17-11-2)
                              t2. PcFriars13 - 54 points (17-11-2)
                              t2. Aerman - 54 points (16-12-2)
                              t4. 1988 - 52 points (18-10-2)
                              t4. Laker Dude - 52 points (18-10-2)
                              t6. FS23 - 48 points (14-14-2)
                              t6. aygwm2 - 48 points (13-15-2)
                              t6. Shirtless Bob - 48 points (13-15-2)
                              t9. all bear - 46 points (22-6-2)*
                              t9. SiouxfaninSeattle - 46 points (15-13-2)
                              t9. darker98 - 46 points (14-14-2)

* all bear's 22-6-2 record is currently the best record amongst those who have picked every game.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Here are the games for Week 5:

Friday:
                                Penn State @ Robert Morris -
                                Minnesota Duluth @ Ohio State -
                                Air Force @ RIT -
                                St. Cloud State @ North Dakota -
                                New Hampshire @ Massachusetts Lowell -

Saturday:
                                Lake Superior State @ Wisconsin -
                                Minnesota State @ Bemidji State -
                                Quinnipiac @ Cornell -
                                Boston University @ Providence -

Super Sunday Vegas Pick: (*see explanation below)
                                American International (+3) @ Michigan State -

BONUS (5 points if correct, for each number off take away 1 point until 0 (cannot go into the negative)):
                                Total number of goals scored in the ECAC on Friday Night (Six games) -
                                Shots on Goal in the UNO-DU game on Saturday Night -

* Here are your options for the Super Sunday Vegas Pick:
                                1) If you pick MSU, they have to win by 4 goals or more, then you get two points
                                - pick would look like this: AIC @ MSU - MSU
                                2) If you pick AIC, they have to either win, tie, or lose by 2 goals or less, then you get two points
                                - pick would look like this: AIC @ MSU - AIC
                                3) If you pick AIC "straight up" and they win, you get eight points (do NOT pick MSU "straight up"...you will lose 2 points)
                                - pick would look like this: AIC @ MSU - AIC Straight Up
                                4) If the game ends with MSU winning by 3, it will be considered a push, and everyone will receive 1 point (unless you picked a tie, then you will receive -2 points)

WEEKLY RULES:
                                1) All picks must be in by the drop of the puck of the FIRST game in the bunch. This week, that is FRIDAY at 7:00pm Eastern! (The 4pm Brown-Yale matchup is not an "away" game by either team)
                                2) No late picks will be allowed. No exceptions. This means that if you post your picks on Friday at 7:10pm Eastern, you will not receive credit for your picks.
                                3) Do NOT pick a tie. If you do, you will lose 2 points.
                                4) All correct picks will earn 2 points (unless stated otherwise). If a game ends in a tie (regardless of shootout), you will receive 1 point, unless you picked a tie, in which case you will LOSE 2 points. DO NOT PICK A TIE.
                                5) If you see a mistake within these rules based on the games selected, please note it as soon as possible. If nobody points it out in a reasonable amount of time, I will interpret the rules and come to a decision.
                                6) Anyone can play. You do not have to continue to predict after this week. You didn't have to predict last week.

Good Luck!
                                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X