NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

It's exhibition week... I think it's time that we get a season thread going....

Start out with some Alumni News... For those that haven't heard, Jared Coreau will start the season in the Big Show... He'll be backing up Howard in Detroit...

As far as the season goes, I have no clue what to expect... New faces, new conference, new look to NCAA hockey as a whole... This looks like it could be a fun ride

GO CATS! GO CATS! GO CATS GO!!!
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: NMU 2013-14 Season: A Shot In the Dark

I too look forward to a different looking league. Should be fun to watch it unfold.

For the last 24 years I've made it to NMU's league final four tournament whenever the Cats made it that far. This year however, I plan on going to Grand Rapids regardless if Northern makes it there or not. With a league full of "little guys" and "like minded" schools, I figure the WCHA can use our support. Plus the absence of some school's arrogant fans (Michigan, Minnesota, etc.) will make it easier to take if my Cats don't make it there.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      It's exhibition week... I think it's time that we get a season thread going....

Start out with some Alumni News... For those that haven't heard, Jared Coreau will start the season in the Big Show... He'll be backing up Howard in Detroit...

As far as the season goes, I have no clue what to expect... New faces, new conference, new look to NCAA hockey as a whole... This looks like it could be a fun ride

GO CATS! GO CATS! GO CATS GO!!!
      Coreau was sent back to Grand Rapids and Mrazek was recalled today.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
        Or close the wall up with our English dead.
        In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
        As modest stillness and humility:
        But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
        Then imitate the action of the tiger;
        Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
        Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
        Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
        Let pry through the portage of the head
        Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
        As fearfully as doth a galled rock
        O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
        Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
        Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
        Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
        To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
        Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
        Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
        Have in these parts from morn till even fought
        And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
        Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
        That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
        Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
        And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
        Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
        The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
        That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
        For there is none of you so mean and base,
        That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
        I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
        Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
        Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
        Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Written by some dead English dude.

Go Cats!!! Kick some *** this year!!!

Written by this alive American dude.
        "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
        -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Ah... Well I hope Jared enjoyed his cup of coffee

Things were a lot simpler before a Salary Cap
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

So where is the new post-game drinking spot?
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Definitely looking forward to this season of NMU hockey. I'm trying to pick out a home series to go to, as I live 8 hours from campus, but I am definitely planning a road trip to watch the Cats in Huntsville. Very excited to see their arena, and maybe even get a little bit of spring golf in.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                So where is the new post-game drinking spot?
                What's wrong with the old ones?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  What's wrong with the old ones?
                  I don't know... I haven't been up there since December 2007. Last I checked, Stucko's was the spot, but that may have changed.

Also, the last time I was up there was when the "EAT A SANDWICH" chant was born.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    I don't know... I haven't been up there since December 2007. Last I checked, Stucko's was the spot, but that may have changed.

Also, the last time I was up there was when the "EAT A SANDWICH" chant was born.
                    Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long! All the old spots are still good. Except Whiskers/Overtime. It's now a grassy field!

Comment

Originally posted by potternmu View Post
                      Definitely looking forward to this season of NMU hockey. I'm trying to pick out a home series to go to, as I live 8 hours from campus, but I am definitely planning a road trip to watch the Cats in Huntsville. Very excited to see their arena, and maybe even get a little bit of spring golf in.
                      You are most welcome in our little village.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Wow! Hard to believe it's been that long! All the old spots are still good. Except Whiskers/Overtime. It's now a grassy field!
                        Good. That means I can go to Vango's before the game and either the Nickel or Stucko's afterward.

Comment

Great news Cat (and Husky) fans... WLUC tv6 will be airing the home and home series this October.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...4#.Ulbrccso7qB

And yet another way in which TV13 continues to s**t on the University it receives funding from.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Great news Cat (and Husky) fans... WLUC tv6 will be airing the home and home series this October.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...4#.Ulbrccso7qB

And yet another way in which TV13 continues to s**t on the University it receives funding from.
                            You have to remember that TV6 has a much greater opportunity to cover its production costs and even profit from these broadcasts. As an advertiser, I'd be much more likely to sponsor a broadcast where I can run my regular TV commercial as opposed to the greatly toned down announcements on Public TV. Also, if TV6 doesn't cover it's costs it has other revenues to cover it in the long run. They have a much greater ability to take a financial risk than does WNMU. If WNMU were to end up $3,000 in the hole for the weekend, who picks up the tab?

Comment

You have to remember that TV6 has a much greater opportunity to cover its production costs and even profit from these broadcasts. As an advertiser, I'd be much more likely to sponsor a broadcast where I can run my regular TV commercial as opposed to the greatly toned down announcements on Public TV. Also, if TV6 doesn't cover it's costs it has other revenues to cover it in the long run. They have a much greater ability to take a financial risk than does WNMU. If WNMU were to end up $3,000 in the hole for the weekend, who picks up the tab?
                              TV6 also has to factor in the cost of production truck use and additional staff. Can't just send Ludlum with a shoulder camera to broadcast the game. WNMU TV13 already is on site and wired to the buildings eliminating the need to roll extra staff. Camera operators could be volunteer, as they are for Public Eye News.

TV timeouts are standard in college hockey. Plenty of time to air sponsorship promotion *cough*ads*cough*. Instead of :15/:30 spots on TV6, they could get :30/1:00 spots during the intermission breaks. Of the 15/18 minutes of intermission, PBS would only need 5 for recap/highlights.

Sponsorship of PK/PP and each period could replace some sponsorship promotions

And you're forgetting about viewer donations. With the drop in donations, wouldn't this be a good time to gamble on new income sources? What would TV13 lose? Try it during fundraiser week when programming isn't quite on schedule anyway.

I'm glad to see that some station has taken the initiative to try this. Obviously the market is there, why not try it out? How many people called into ABC10 to get the Regional Game vs SCSU on air?

It infuriates me that a promotional arm of the University, with a reach across the whole UP, continues to bury it's head in the sand.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X