Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey '13-14: Are you Red-E?

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    Was he a healthy scratch for every game? Could he be going to Sioux city for ice time with the idea of returning next year, second semester?
    Watched him during the Dalhousie Exhibition game and thought he looked lost and a step behind everyone,not blanking on him...but maybe he needs to be at a lower level and getting regular ice time...some players need a full season in the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Kasabian View Post
      I was at Saturday's game and I agree with what has been said especially by Gendron about Maine seeming to lose a step once they (briefly) took the lead in the 2nd. This guy behind me at the game was relentlessly ragging on Ouellette especially after that first goal. I defended Ouellette throughout the game and when Maine surged in the 3rd Ouellette made huge saves as part of that comeback. When I got home I looked into it. Ouellette played back to back nights against Massachusetts 2 weekends straight and then again this past weekend vs UVM. His Friday night GAA is 1.50, his Saturday night GAA is 3.50. I wonder if fatigue is a factor and wonder if down the stretch we don't give Sullivan some Saturday starts if this trend continues. Thoughts?
      Not a bad idea and Sullivan needs some action to see what to expect in case of a injury or slump by Ouellette.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Is there some provision that allows the NCAA to put Maine on the road based on projected or average attendance? I remember reading something like that the year Smith took them to the playoffs but they ended up losing to Towson and someone else so it didnt end up mattering
        Attendance hasn't been very good for the last two home games. Having the games televised hurts attendance to some degree. Being able to see replays in the comfort of your living room is a big bonus for some. As a hockey season ticket holder (three tickets), I received an invitation from the athletic department to receive three free tickets to this Saturday's football game. I'm sure others here did as well. I'll be there. Just an example of attempts to improve attendance. Closing the dining halls earlier in the season resulted in getting many students to the game for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Kasabian View Post
          Every time so far I've tried to make a coherent discussion post on here I never seem to get a normal response...prob because you guys never played hockey just a bunch of Bangor/orono townies with no knowledge
          Lighten up, Francis.

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
          BU football: Unfeated since 1997
          FYP
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainehockeyman View Post
            ........The most popular points on this board are:
            1. Red Gendron yells more than Tim Whitehead therefor he is a better coach, who holds his players more accountable.
            2. UMaine has to cut a good deal of its roster because the current players are either lazy or lack skill.

clearly not opinions of people that played the game at a very high level.
            Don't ever question the wisdom of Gendron, he's God.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              They are #4 this week.

1. N Dakota St (1.00)
              2. E Illinois (2.00)
              3. E Washington (3.57)
              4. Maine (5.57)
              5. SE Louisiana (6.43)

The CAA is rated the third-toughest conference.

3. Colonial Athletic Association (33.94)
              4. Maine (5.57)
              8T. Towson (10.14)
              12T. William & Mary (12.86)
              15. Villanova (17.86)
              30. New Hampshire (27.14)
              34. Delaware (31.29)
              35. James Madison (32.00)
              48. Richmond (42.14)
              50. Stony Brook (42.43)
              87. Rhode Island (69.43)
              106T. Albany (82.43)

Based on remaining schedules, Maine should end up 3 or 4 with a win against UHN (and obviously Rhody) which would get them a seed. I don't think Maine has ever been seeded for the NCAA tournament. Did they ever host a playoff game in the 80's with Jack Buck and Carl Smith? If not, this would be the first time they've ever hosted.

Edit: Also, CSNNE and CSNMA will broadcast the UM-UHN game from Durham to end the season.
              I'm of the opinion that the CAA might be under-rated this year, due to the paucity of meaningful comparisons between FCS conferences.

The CAA eats its own young in terms of national ratings due to its parity, and then you have the extraneous games vs. FBS-level teams, which amount to nearly-meaningless exhibitions in this equation... (And Maine played two such games, if we go so far as to consider UMass an actual FBS team.)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Maine can't stop the run and teams have figured that out. That's going to be tough come playoffs. Wash is a stud, unreal how clutch he has been.
                Beefy O-lines have presented a problem for Maine for sure, but not an insurmountable one, so far.

Still, I think that Coz might stay with the usual approach v. URI (that should work-out OK), then put 8 in the box v. UNH as often as possible, and dare them to throw into one-on-one against Maine's very athletic DBs.

That game will be fun to watch, with contrasting styles/grim hatred/etc. all being in play, and our making the tortuous drive from CNY to Durham is looking like a real option now.

PS: Just to talk some Maine hockey three years ahead of schedule, I predict no worse than a tie vs. BU on Friday. (I hope that the 5th Kardashian is satisfied with that.)
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-13-2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Beefy O-lines have presented a problem for Maine for sure, but not an insurmountable one, so far.

Still, I think that Coz might stay with the usual approach v. URI (that should work-out OK), then put 8 in the box v. UNH as often as possible, and dare them to throw into one-on-one against Maine's very athletic DBs.

That game will be fun to watch, with contrasting styles/grim hatred/etc. all being in play, and our making the tortuous drive from CNY to Durham is looking like a real option now.

PS: Just to talk some Maine hockey three years ahead of schedule, I predict no worse than a tie vs. BU on Friday. (I hope that the 5th Kardashian is satisfied with that.)

There's 5 Kardashians? This must be the ugly one. Wait, they're all ugly. Cant we just talk hockey instead of that pansy sport feetball? Or, just make fun of rayban, thats always entertaining ....or carlton, thats even more funner.
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    ........... Did they ever host a playoff game in the 80's with Jack Buck and Carl Smith?........
                    I think you mean Mike and not Jack the sportscaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      I think you mean Mike and not Jack the sportscaster?
                      No, Jack Buck was also a great QB who still had college eligibility left so he played at Maine for a few years - even though he was in his 60's

Comment

I'm not sure how intensely anyone here follows the recruits/incoming classes, but does anyone know how freshman QB Kellen Croce was thought of as he came in? We played baseball together and he quaterbacked the high school team, and I'm just curious to see how he was regarded as a recruit. I don't think he has played this year, so any info would be much appreciated!
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Anyone know who was selling those Section D tickets on StubHub for $19?

I'm tempted to get those seats next to the BU bench...but I won't have Jackie Parker to yell at all game! Also, they're $50...

Comment

I think the big reason that no one is talking hockey X's and O's here is that everyone largely sees this as a bridge year. Red's job this season is to figure out who can play, who can't, and get on the recruiting trail to fill holes. I just want to see effort, and some improvement by the end of the year. It's too soon to tell, and it will be too soon to tell, for a while on most of the current/new players.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              I'm not sure how intensely anyone here follows the recruits/incoming classes, but does anyone know how freshman QB Kellen Croce was thought of as he came in? We played baseball together and he quaterbacked the high school team, and I'm just curious to see how he was regarded as a recruit. I don't think he has played this year, so any info would be much appreciated!
                              I can tell you that the buzz around those that follow Maine football think that he is going to be very good. People tell me he has shown potential in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                I can tell you that the buzz around those that follow Maine football think that he is going to be very good. People tell me he has shown potential in practice.
                                Good to hear. He was a good teammate and I wish only the best for the kid.
                                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X