X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Hockey '13-14: Are you Red-E?

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    Does anyone else think that Ouelette could turn this team from an average one to a pretty good one? I don't think that he is getting enough credit.
    I do but I thought that about Sully going into last year and look where it got us. I am hoping both guys play well and Red can actually use a rotation, and from everything the guys have been saying in the papers so far I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be better than most people expect.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

They NEED both Ouellette & Sullivan,as for the defense...they will not be the Elite of the League,but need to play a simple but tough game...and Maine needs 2 scoring lines and anything else out of the 3rd/4th lines will be gravey...in a Nutshell: 2 man Rotation in Net/decent defense and a total team defense(blocked shots/lane passing presence)...that means the Forwards have to buy into coming back...PLUS a Coach and Staff that will accept nothing but hard work/grit and willing to have a change in game plans as the game goes on. And WINNING @ Alfond/the Ace in the Hole to having a decent season.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        I think Maine is a sleeper team in the league because of Martin Ouellette. However, the offense needs to score more than last year.
        It's all about Marty, IMO. I can see giving Sullivan a spot-start here and there, but Maine won't have a chance unless Ouellette plays as well as he did last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          It's all about Marty, IMO. I can see giving Sullivan a spot-start here and there, but Maine won't have a chance unless Ouellette plays as well as he did last year.
          Absolutely correct
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Oh how the times have changed. Umass Lowell ranked #1 in USCHO pre season poll. Maine not even in the top 40.
            Of course, the USCHO poll is not a top-40 poll. It is the teams voters think are in the top 20. If every voter thinks Maine is #21, they wouldn't appear on that poll, even though the voters consider them the #21 team in the nation.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              I do but I thought that about Sully going into last year and look where it got us. I am hoping both guys play well and Red can actually use a rotation, and from everything the guys have been saying in the papers so far I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be better than most people expect.
              Hopefully Reds' direct approach to managing the team will instill more confidence in the goaltenders........and the rest of the team for that matter. No more mind games and no more "favorites".........rewarding players that play hard and are physically ready to battle night in and night out........I would think that improvement is on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Agreed.......although with the pathetic schedule.........there should be plenty of games to give Sullivan some work.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  Of course, the USCHO poll is not a top-40 poll. It is the teams voters think are in the top 20. If every voter thinks Maine is #21, they wouldn't appear on that poll, even though the voters consider them the #21 team in the nation.
                  Ummm I know it's not a top 40 poll. (that's Casey Kasum's job ) But they do list other teams receiving votes up to 39.

Comment

“Toward the end of the season, no one is going to want to play us. We’re going to be a hardworking team,” he said. “We’re going to be very physical. We’re going to use the big bodies that we have. We’re going to be very hard to play against.”

Being very physical and very hard to play against requires two things: 1) The ability to get this done without too much time in the penalty box, and 2) very good penalty killing units (including goaltending). If Maine has the skill to walk that fine line between aggression and an acceptable level of penalties then it is obviously a sound approach to the game. Wearing out whatever skilled forwards one has, while penalty killing, never seems to work out as the game heads into the third period.

Comment

Well said. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                        Ummm I know it's not a top 40 poll. (that's Casey Kasum's job ) But they do list other teams receiving votes up to 39.
                        They list 39 teams whom voters think are in the top twenty. They are not necessarily the teams the voters consider to be the top 39 teams. If the voters were to rank all the teams and they were in complete agreement except for one voter placing the worst team at #20, that team would be the only one listed as "also getting votes" but would clearly not be considered the 21st best team in the nation. The USCHO poll lists the 20 best teams. Period. Not the top 25, not the top 30, not the top 35, not the top 39.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

They are not Ranked because they have done nothing yet and are expected not to be a legit Top 20/25 team at this point of the season...they have to prove it on the ice...time will tell,but I figure they improve big time compared to what we've seen the last few seasons...winning will open some eye's...they need to beat the Teams like the BC's/UML's and any and all teams with winning records.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            They list 39 teams whom voters think are in the top twenty. They are not necessarily the teams the voters consider to be the top 39 teams. If the voters were to rank all the teams and they were in complete agreement except for one voter placing the worst team at #20, that team would be the only one listed as "also getting votes" but would clearly not be considered the 21st best team in the nation. The USCHO poll lists the 20 best teams. Period. Not the top 25, not the top 30, not the top 35, not the top 39.
                            Don't consider to be in the top 39 teams? Then why did they give them a vote to be in the top 20? That makes no sense. By giving teams votes to be in the top 20 it by default gives the teams a 21-39 ranking. I didn't say that the specific #21-39 are assigned to the teams by USCHO but they are listed in order by number of votes....just like the top 20.... so all I'm saying is it gives them a psudo ranking per the voters. I KNOW that the poll is top 20 but other teams not in the top 20 receicve various numbers of votes and are listed in that order. Sounds like a ranking to me.

Comment

Rosters for the Maine Alumni vs. Bruins Alumni game on Saturday.

http://www.thecolisee.com/2013-Bear-Bruins-AlumniC.pdf

Rosters appear to be incomplete/in flux a bit, as I know Niko Dimitrakos is flying in from Chicago for the game. He was on the PM Jab yesterday talking about the game , Red's hire, and the program.

Comment

Bangor Daily News preview

Comment

Working...
                                X