Notre Dame Hockey 2013-2014 Go East young men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Hockey 2013-2014 Go East young men

There's been a lot of recent talk about the lathargy of the Notre Dame fanbase with regard to the football program and the somewhat disappointing start to the 2013 season. From the amount of activity over on the off season thread it looks as though that has infected the enthusiasm for hockey as well. I'm not sure why, since there is so much new going on and the team's fortunes are still thought to be quite promising. New teams, new rivalries, new refs, new rinks. Let's have at it! Go Irish!

Re: Notre Dame Hockey 2013-2014 Go East young men

It does seem to be quiet on the eastern front, but it unlike football with the spring game, then fall practices a few weeks before the season start, it does take some fans a little bit to get warmed up. Especially since practices just started.

Am pretty geeked for the season, and like most every year, I feel the sky is the limit for the squad.

Is hard to glean too much from an exhibition, but Hinostroza certainly caught the eye, was nice to see Voran score a couple as well. Saw Voran play a few times in the ushl and his lines were pretty explosive on offense. Could use a little of that this year. Katunar really fills up that net.

Of course, it all starts for real on Friday.

Comment

So I've been away for a while, but not I have returned. Quick question for anyone that knows: what type of rule changes are we gonna have as we transition from CCHA to Hockey East? I'm sure there was to be some rules that are different between the two leagues
      TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
        So I've been away for a while, but not I have returned. Quick question for anyone that knows: what type of rule changes are we gonna have as we transition from CCHA to Hockey East? I'm sure there was to be some rules that are different between the two leagues
        There is no icing, offsides, or checking allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
          No shootouts. Thankfully. At least for now anyway.

Comment

Does Jeff_Jackson_For_Pres still post once in a while? If not could someone pass this link on?

While I won't part with my Braydon Coburn jersey, the Chicago Wolves dug another from the bottom of their closet, and have it up for auction till Noon Friday.

http://www.chicagowolves.com/communi...arity-auctions
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well the NBC Sports folks were a little late to the party but they've finally gotten around to releasing the slate of games to be televised this season plus news that they have signed a 3 year deal with Notre Dame to televise a dozen home games per season on NBSN plus additional games on NBCSports.com. Never thought the day would come that any college hockey team, let alone the Notre Dame hockey team, would have that substantial a presence on national TV. The haters that make this place so entertaining should be out in force with this announcement.

Comment

Thought I would stop by and welcome you guys to Hockey East!

I think the biggest change will be the differences in rink size week in and week out. UNH plays on an Olympic sized rink while PC plays on an NHL rink...Some of the other teams are combos of both of them!

So anyways, Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey so I think that will be the biggest difference between the conferences.
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Interesting that both refs that worked the game in South Bend vs Western Michigan are NOT listed on the Hockey East site as officials from the conference. Wonder if they hired midwest guys to ref just Notre Dame guys or will normal Hockey East refs fly in every weekend during conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    Interesting that both refs that worked the game in South Bend vs Western Michigan are NOT listed on the Hockey East site as officials from the conference. Wonder if they hired midwest guys to ref just Notre Dame guys or will normal Hockey East refs fly in every weekend during conference play.
                    Well it wasn't a conference game... I'm sure they'll fly in HE refs for conf games. Might as well use whoever is available and able for these non-conf games, looks like one of the refs works the AHL and the other used to be CCHA?

Good opener last night. Excited to watch Hinostroza play. My favorite player to watch who didn't end up on the scoresheet was Bryan Rust, just always in the right spot. Penalties taken late were a little disappointing, but a great chance to practice the PK!
                    Boston University 2009 Champs
                    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Thought I would stop by and welcome you guys to Hockey East!

I think the biggest change will be the differences in rink size week in and week out. UNH plays on an Olympic sized rink while PC plays on an NHL rink...Some of the other teams are combos of both of them!

So anyways, Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey so I think that will be the biggest difference between the conferences.
                      NMU was full Olympic, and ND is a hybrid 200 x 90 (like BU and NU), plus the Irish have an Olympic practice sheet. ND has also played out-of-conference at Minnesota recently. While it's true that the NHL size was predominant in the CCHA, the Irish do have experience playing on different ice sizes.

It's funny that you say "Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey," because the point of view from some in the ND fanbase is that HE officiating tends to be tighter and ND is going to have trouble staying out of the penalty box. The Irish will have no problems playing physical, as I believe they are the biggest team in Hockey East.

I'm wondering about that myself. Wilkins is a midwest ref who used to work the CCHA. I'd guess he'll continue to work the Michigan-Ohio area for the NCHC, WCHA, and/or BTHC (tm), depending on whether any of those conferences go to exclusives with refs. I did note that both he and Davis were wearing Hockey East badges. I'm curious who will officiate tonight in K-zoo (probably the same guys, one would think) and whether they'll be wearing NCHC badges.

Hockey East has historically seen some of their officials also work games in other leagues, notably Scott Hansen. I wouldn't be surprised if they hire on midwest guys to work the games at ND, particularly assistant refs—maybe we would see hybrid crews with local assistants and New England refs who fly out.
                      Last edited by Craig P.; 10-12-2013, 06:16 PM.
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Hockey East is hit or miss with the refs....the guys that were at PC last night let the boys play while tonight was a gong show according to Minnesota State's!

Comment

FWIW, box score from WMU says Gawlik as the ref (he was an assistant last night) assisted by Scott Bokal and Chris Hoy. No second ref, which is surprising.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            FWIW, box score from WMU says Gawlik as the ref (he was an assistant last night) assisted by Scott Bokal and Chris Hoy. No second ref, which is surprising.
                            This boxscore has Scott Bokal as the second referee with Chris Hoy and John Philo as linesmen. I did notice the HEA shirts on Friday. I love seeing names on the back of their uniforms so I know at whom to direct my ire.
                            Notre Dame Hockey
                            Reigning Big Ten Champions
                            Reigning CCHA Champions
                            Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                              This boxscore has Scott Bokal as the second referee with Chris Hoy and John Philo as linesmen.
                              As does ND's box score. I didn't realize WMU was using something outdated that couldn't handle two refs / two assistants.

Comment

Working...
                              X