PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Hockey 2013-2014 Go East young men

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

IrishHockeyFan
10-01-2013, 06:55 AM
There's been a lot of recent talk about the lathargy of the Notre Dame fanbase with regard to the football program and the somewhat disappointing start to the 2013 season. From the amount of activity over on the off season thread it looks as though that has infected the enthusiasm for hockey as well. I'm not sure why, since there is so much new going on and the team's fortunes are still thought to be quite promising. New teams, new rivalries, new refs, new rinks. Let's have at it! Go Irish!

DeadEnder65
10-07-2013, 08:24 AM
It does seem to be quiet on the eastern front, but it unlike football with the spring game, then fall practices a few weeks before the season start, it does take some fans a little bit to get warmed up. Especially since practices just started.

Am pretty geeked for the season, and like most every year, I feel the sky is the limit for the squad.

Is hard to glean too much from an exhibition, but Hinostroza certainly caught the eye, was nice to see Voran score a couple as well. Saw Voran play a few times in the ushl and his lines were pretty explosive on offense. Could use a little of that this year. Katunar really fills up that net.

Of course, it all starts for real on Friday.

SwedishJustice22
10-08-2013, 01:12 PM
So I've been away for a while, but not I have returned. Quick question for anyone that knows: what type of rule changes are we gonna have as we transition from CCHA to Hockey East? I'm sure there was to be some rules that are different between the two leagues

NCAAfan500
10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
So I've been away for a while, but not I have returned. Quick question for anyone that knows: what type of rule changes are we gonna have as we transition from CCHA to Hockey East? I'm sure there was to be some rules that are different between the two leaguesThere is no icing, offsides, or checking allowed.

IrishHockeyFan
10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
So I've been away for a while, but not I have returned. Quick question for anyone that knows: what type of rule changes are we gonna have as we transition from CCHA to Hockey East? I'm sure there was to be some rules that are different between the two leagues

No shootouts. Thankfully. At least for now anyway.

aparch
10-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Does Jeff_Jackson_For_Pres still post once in a while? If not could someone pass this link on?

While I won't part with my Braydon Coburn jersey, the Chicago Wolves dug another from the bottom of their closet, and have it up for auction till Noon Friday.

http://www.chicagowolves.com/community/charities/charity-auctions

IrishHockeyFan
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Well the NBC Sports folks were a little late to the party but they've finally gotten around to releasing the slate of games to be televised this season plus news that they have signed a 3 year deal with Notre Dame to televise a dozen home games per season on NBSN plus additional games on NBCSports.com. Never thought the day would come that any college hockey team, let alone the Notre Dame hockey team, would have that substantial a presence on national TV. The haters that make this place so entertaining should be out in force with this announcement.

The Zlax45
10-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Thought I would stop by and welcome you guys to Hockey East!

I think the biggest change will be the differences in rink size week in and week out. UNH plays on an Olympic sized rink while PC plays on an NHL rink...Some of the other teams are combos of both of them!

So anyways, Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey so I think that will be the biggest difference between the conferences.

The Zlax45
10-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Interesting that both refs that worked the game in South Bend vs Western Michigan are NOT listed on the Hockey East site as officials from the conference. Wonder if they hired midwest guys to ref just Notre Dame guys or will normal Hockey East refs fly in every weekend during conference play.

candycanes99
10-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Interesting that both refs that worked the game in South Bend vs Western Michigan are NOT listed on the Hockey East site as officials from the conference. Wonder if they hired midwest guys to ref just Notre Dame guys or will normal Hockey East refs fly in every weekend during conference play.

Well it wasn't a conference game... I'm sure they'll fly in HE refs for conf games. Might as well use whoever is available and able for these non-conf games, looks like one of the refs works the AHL and the other used to be CCHA?

Good opener last night. Excited to watch Hinostroza play. My favorite player to watch who didn't end up on the scoresheet was Bryan Rust, just always in the right spot. Penalties taken late were a little disappointing, but a great chance to practice the PK!

Craig P.
10-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Thought I would stop by and welcome you guys to Hockey East!

I think the biggest change will be the differences in rink size week in and week out. UNH plays on an Olympic sized rink while PC plays on an NHL rink...Some of the other teams are combos of both of them!

So anyways, Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey so I think that will be the biggest difference between the conferences.

NMU was full Olympic, and ND is a hybrid 200 x 90 (like BU and NU), plus the Irish have an Olympic practice sheet. ND has also played out-of-conference at Minnesota recently. While it's true that the NHL size was predominant in the CCHA, the Irish do have experience playing on different ice sizes.

It's funny that you say "Hockey East is usually pretty physical hockey," because the point of view from some in the ND fanbase is that HE officiating tends to be tighter and ND is going to have trouble staying out of the penalty box. The Irish will have no problems playing physical, as I believe they are the biggest team in Hockey East.

I'm wondering about that myself. Wilkins is a midwest ref who used to work the CCHA. I'd guess he'll continue to work the Michigan-Ohio area for the NCHC, WCHA, and/or BTHC (tm), depending on whether any of those conferences go to exclusives with refs. I did note that both he and Davis were wearing Hockey East badges. I'm curious who will officiate tonight in K-zoo (probably the same guys, one would think) and whether they'll be wearing NCHC badges.

Hockey East has historically seen some of their officials also work games in other leagues, notably Scott Hansen. I wouldn't be surprised if they hire on midwest guys to work the games at ND, particularly assistant refs—maybe we would see hybrid crews with local assistants and New England refs who fly out.

The Zlax45
10-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Hockey East is hit or miss with the refs....the guys that were at PC last night let the boys play while tonight was a gong show according to Minnesota State's!

Craig P.
10-13-2013, 12:44 AM
FWIW, box score from WMU says Gawlik as the ref (he was an assistant last night) assisted by Scott Bokal and Chris Hoy. No second ref, which is surprising.

ND Hockey
10-13-2013, 01:08 AM
FWIW, box score from WMU says Gawlik as the ref (he was an assistant last night) assisted by Scott Bokal and Chris Hoy. No second ref, which is surprising.

This boxscore (http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1314/boxes/mndmwmu1.o12) has Scott Bokal as the second referee with Chris Hoy and John Philo as linesmen. I did notice the HEA shirts on Friday. I love seeing names on the back of their uniforms so I know at whom to direct my ire.

Craig P.
10-13-2013, 11:34 AM
This boxscore (http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1314/boxes/mndmwmu1.o12) has Scott Bokal as the second referee with Chris Hoy and John Philo as linesmen.

As does ND's box score. I didn't realize WMU was using something outdated that couldn't handle two refs / two assistants.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
10-13-2013, 01:22 PM
For those of you wondering, yes, I am still around. I've been working through some issues and when those issues basically got put in order, I started a second teaching job. I'm still learning the ropes in that one (or should I say handcuffs as it is in a minimum security prison), so my time is still limited while I wade through the ungodly amount of paperwork.

Some notes of significance from this weekend include...wait for it...Mr. JJfP and WaNDH breaking their winless streak at Lawson. That's right. For the first time EVER, Mr. JJfP saw ND win in Kalamazoo. And for only the 2nd time IIRC, WaNDH saw the same thing. I took a big risk having them come along, but it paid off.

As far as the play this weekend of said victorious team, I was unbelievably impressed with Vince Hinostroza. He is T.J. Tynan as a freshman. I like the combination of Hinostroza, Peter Schneider and Thomas DiPauli. Great energy and dogged work to possess the puck. The only glitch was DiPauli getting dinged up last night after he got the GWG.

While I have seen a few gaffes from Stephen Johns (like laying the puck out in the slot for the lone Bronco who took that gift quite wide on Steven Summerhays thankfully), he has made some slick plays so far. The 2 that jump out are the great hit along the boards in the first period last night that was perfectly timed and did the job: separating the opponent from the puck, and the move to the net where he dipped his shoulder and brought the puck around and got a great shot off the backhand, only to be bested by Slubowski. I turned to Mr. JJfP and with eyes wide asked, "Was that Johns?!"

Summerhays seems more confident in net in the early goings. Something is different. He is moving around much less, staying in his net and tracking the puck quite well. I'm praying that he continues doing just that.

I like the PK thus far. As soon as they get a hold of the puck, it's down the ice. How many times last season did they have a stick on the puck but coughed it up and paid for it? This weekend, they have shown that they don't want to give the opponent that many opportunities.

The speed of the team is also surprising. It is as if the shackles of the CCHA have been removed and the velocity of HE has sprouted. The size of the team (the largest in all of D1) is working. I know we have not seen a HE opponent yet, but I feel better about our chances after this test against WMU, a notoriously tough team to beat, no matter who is coaching, who is in net or who is skating for the Broncos.

So, while my two teaching positions will cut into my own playing time and my time on the computer, my time in the stands for ND hockey will not be affected.

Craig P.
10-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Were the officials wearing NCHC patches on Saturday?

jjmc85
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
There is no icing, offsides, or checking allowed.

Checking is for pansies.

D2D
10-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Sorry if this was posted previously, but it's a great preview of your team and what you can expect to see this season:

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/101013aab.html

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Were the officials wearing NCHC patches on Saturday?
Yes. It appears that the home team dictates the reffing crew.