Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing Like Some Free National Exposure For the Women's Game

thanks to a hockey family matriarch.

You might have to wait through a couple of commercials...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2409438730/

Re: Nothing Like Some Free National Exposure For the Women's Game

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    thanks to a hockey family matriarch.

You might have to wait through a couple of commercials...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2409438730/
    Hate to be critical, but I thought the clip kind of ended leaving things hanging in the air with no substance or concrete things to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      I thought the clip kind of ended leaving things hanging in the air with no substance or concrete things to look forward to.
      I agree, but my point was simply that the women's game itself was getting some National air time while benefitting by being associated with the mother of one of the highest (if not thee highest) profile players in the men's game in the world. That mix automatically translates into credibility in the consumer's mind. It's a positive for the women's game.

Comment

I was told that the above link didn't work.

For those who had the same result but wanted to view it, try this one...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2409642528/

Comment

I was told that the above link didn't work.

For those who had the same result but wanted to view it, try this one...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2409642528/
          nothing in Canada is free
          it ain't workin' , maybe you should have named the thread "Some National Exposure For The Women's Game For Those With An Account"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            nothing in Canada is free
            it ain't workin' , maybe you should have named the thread "Some National Exposure For The Women's Game For Those With An Account"
            Good one.

But I just clicked on the most recent link that I provided above and it worked for me. Just click on the link and the video starts automatically after two short commercials...at least that's my experience.

Comment

I agree, but my point was simply that the women's game itself was getting some National air time while benefitting by being associated with the mother of one of the highest (if not thee highest) profile players in the men's game in the world. That mix automatically translates into credibility in the consumer's mind. It's a positive for the women's game.
              Agree. Though, I think the whole "there is nothing after..." argument is pretty lame. While the boys do have options to play professionally, there is plenty of hockey left for women after they graduate college. Obviously there is the CW, or Elite Leagues in Europe. But there is also senior hockey at a number of levels, including Senior A which is extremely competitive, with National Championships in both the US and Canada.

Does it pay? No, not unless you are a coach, or an Olympian or National team member recieving training and championship stipends. But then, it doesn't really pay for 99.5% of the boys either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                Agree. Though, I think the whole "there is nothing after..." argument is pretty lame. While the boys do have options to play professionally, there is plenty of hockey left for women after they graduate college. Obviously there is the CW, or Elite Leagues in Europe. But there is also senior hockey at a number of levels, including Senior A which is extremely competitive, with National Championships in both the US and Canada.

Does it pay? No, not unless you are a coach, or an Olympian or National team member recieving training and championship stipends. But then, it doesn't really pay for 99.5% of the boys either.
                While what you say is true, what's "missing" is the opportunity to play at the next level for those capable and interested and to be compensated to the point where they can make a living doing so...if that is possible. The CWHL is a tough grind holding down a job so you can afford to eat, pay the rent and put gas in your tank while practising and playing in the evenings and on weekends not to mention working out regularly so that you remain in competitive condition or close to it. Maybe the CWHL will eventually grow into that ideal but it's presently a grind that probably discourages some who see it as a dead end (financially speaking) and consequently decide to get on with their lives in the working world and so don't bother with the CWHL.

I've had countless discussions with a friend of mine who is heavily involved in the sport who insists that the way to make the women's game at the highest levels work is not the present formula ie: league play. He believes that the way to market it is similar to the UFC (my example, not his) whereby you aggressively market a tournament of all the elite women's team's with that tournament being held in one location...sort of like the World's. Without getting into details, he thinks that a tournament format would draw a good crowd to the various games. When the tournament concludes you begin plans for another one in a different location and keep repeating that format but each time in a different location. I suppose you could have a set number of locations that, if you were satisfied with the financial results from those locations, would make the list for the following year's tournament locations. He feels that the revenue would be enough to support the players financially so they wouldn't be forced to find paying employment while they are still attempting to stay competitive at the elite level.

Lots of variables and marketing tactics to consider, which we have discussed at length, but I think he has a point. It might work.

Efforts have been made over the last few years here with the league play format by people whose effort is admirable but who I think are short on marketing experience/expertise and cash. As a result it languishes in the "best kept secret" category.

Comment

Women’s hockey cannot compete at the gate as long as its season coincides with the rest of hockey. Most fans can only support two teams, and perhaps occasionally going to a third.
                  take your pick:
                  Pro Men
                  Pro Women
                  College Men
                  College Women
                  High School Boys
                  High School Girls
                  And don’t forget the younger teams
                  Female teams will always have the least following. Why?
                  Because the male game is at a higher skill level, and women’s hockey is newer, at every level, the male teams have the advantage. Secondly high school has a more personal connection than college which has a more personal connection than the pros. Your kid plays there, you live there, maybe you went to school there, or you know the kids or their parents that play for the team.
                  So if your son or daughter plays, you go to their games and the next level above them. There is no time for anything else except perhaps take in a NHL game or two.
                  Probably the only way to succeed is for the women’s pro league to do like the WNBA, play when nobody else does. Then it comes down to do you want to watch hockey or hoops?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    Women’s hockey cannot compete at the gate as long as its season coincides with the rest of hockey. Most fans can only support two teams, and perhaps occasionally going to a third.
                    take your pick:
                    Pro Men
                    Pro Women
                    College Men
                    College Women
                    High School Boys
                    High School Girls
                    And don’t forget the younger teams
                    Female teams will always have the least following. Why?
                    Because the male game is at a higher skill level, and women’s hockey is newer, at every level, the male teams have the advantage. Secondly high school has a more personal connection than college which has a more personal connection than the pros. Your kid plays there, you live there, maybe you went to school there, or you know the kids or their parents that play for the team.
                    So if your son or daughter plays, you go to their games and the next level above them. There is no time for anything else except perhaps take in a NHL game or two.
                    Probably the only way to succeed is for the women’s pro league to do like the WNBA, play when nobody else does. Then it comes down to do you want to watch hockey or hoops?
                    Some interesting/valid points.

The friend that I referred to, who has for many years run developmental scrimmages for male and females...with some attendees as high as the NHL level, many junior players, elite female players and a smattering of younger players of both genders in AAA, AA and lower would argue, and has, that women are better players..."they're just better" is his common lament (although conceding their not being as strong or as fast) and that the women's game is a pure game or at least closer to a pure game because it doesn't have most of the BS that the men's game does. I happen to agree and since becoming a women's hockey fan can only get mildly interested in men's hockey well into the NHL playoffs, if then. So I guess it comes down to what you like to see in a game.

As for the last question, that's a no brainer for me. Bassetball, one of the dumbest games ever invented...and by a Canadian, yet!

Comment

The friend that I referred to, would argue, and has, that women are better players..."they're just better" is his common lament (although conceding their not being as strong or as fast) and that the women's game is a pure game or at least closer to a pure game because it doesn't have most of the BS that the men's game does. I happen to agree and since becoming a women's hockey fan can only get mildly interested in men's hockey well into the NHL playoffs, if then. So I guess it comes down to what you like to see in a game.
                      I agree, that's part of the reason after the 2007-2008 season I did not renew my season tickets for the men's program and haven't been back, that and the poor sportsmanship of players and fans made it no longer family friendly. And the cost

If by better, he means the women are better team players, yes, I agree, but better skills? the women may have more correct skills, but you cannot ignore strength & speed when comparing skills. probably the best example is comparing women tennis players to men in the 80's. Back then women played with monotonous precision. Excellent technique, but the top women players would have been decimated playing even the lowest male player.

As for the last question, that's a no brainer for me. Bassetball, one of the dumbest games ever invented...and by a Canadian, yet!
                      LOL
                      Last edited by pokechecker; 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X