This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2013-2014 - Rocking The Ritter One Last Time <<<<<

I serve in the military stationed in Germany. Where can I stream this game?!
    R I T HOCKEY
    Frozen Four
    Elite Eight
    NCAA Tournament
    2010-2015-2016
    RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
      I serve in the military stationed in Germany. Where can I stream this game?!
      The game is on Time Warner Sports, which means our friend furtwangler will be streaming it via his Justin.tv stream.

Appropriately, the link is: www.justin.tv/furtwangler
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        To which I respond...you're right, it's just like that.
        Glad you agree .... an NHL team participating in one of these potential circuses is 1/82 stupid and an AHA team is 1/27 stupid ... or just about 3X more stupid. That seems about right to me. Everyone can choose how big "stupid" is for themselves! If we knew financials, we could also estimate the cost/benefit of the "stupid".

If you look at the standings, this particular game has the potential to be more critical than most (all points are not created equal since it matters who you take them from).

The good news is the weather report is looking slightly better for Sat. (However, I have also heard that too cold is not good for the ice conditions ... anyone know if the chilling system maintains "warmth" as well .. i.e. runs both ways?)
        -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
          Glad you agree .... an NHL team participating in one of these potential circuses is 1/82 stupid and an AHA team is 1/27 stupid ... or just about 3X more stupid. That seems about right to me. Everyone can choose how big "stupid" is for themselves! If we knew financials, we could also estimate the cost/benefit of the "stupid".

If you look at the standings, this particular game has the potential to be more critical than most (all points are not created equal since it matters who you take them from).

The good news is the weather report is looking slightly better for Sat. (However, I have also heard that too cold is not good for the ice conditions ... anyone know if the chilling system maintains "warmth" as well .. i.e. runs both ways?)
          Well you have two choices: go or don't.

Your argument against it, besides it being "stupid" is well....stupid.

Being a league game doesn't matter. Both teams are on equal ice. We could be playing this game as a league game at Niagara, where we haven't won in..how long? Statistically speaking, the worst thing we could be doing this weekend is playing at Niagara. Speaking of which, their rink is trash...is that really better than playing outdoors? I'm willing to bet the ice crew working at Frontier Field are more accomplished ice experts than the people at Niagara. Unless the weather is horrible (it's currently not forecast to be) the visibility and ice conditions should be on par with most AHA rinks...remember we play at AIC and Bentley. The players and coaches would NEVER use this as an excuse, why should you?

The intangibles favor RIT, as they get to play downtown...we have several players from Rochester who will likely find playing in the shadow of Kodak tower to be one of the most special moments of their hockey careers. Players tend to play better in situations like this. RIT also tends to do well at home, and a crowd 2-3 times the size of Ritter will be in attendance. Will you feel "stupid" if RIT plays its best game of the year Saturday??

Really you just sound like someone whose jimmies are rustled because he has to do something different. These **** kids and their new ideas!
          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post

I have played on the outdoor rink in Buffalo when it has been in the low 20s. Its actually the rink from the first winter classic that is now setup for public use like any other ice rink. The ice was fine though it would I guess "chip" more is how I best would describe it due to the temperatures. I have also played on this same rink when it was in the 60s during a warm spell last winter. The ice held up then too it was just unbearably warm to play in full hockey gear. So the cold will favor the players in staying comfortable as long as it stays in the 20s. I have also played on natural bodies of water for pond hockey tournaments, that is garbage ice. Outdoor ice arenas are almost the same ice conditions as an indoor rink

If you think about all the impacts of the weather on the ice: cold, wind, rain, sun (glare is a big problem here as well), and snow. Snow, in my opinion, is one of lesser impacts barring white out conditions. We might see some breaks for shoveling, if its snowing during the game. Rain is the worst and essentially would make the game unplayable.

Personally, playing outside is incredibly fun, so I know the players will love that. Fans, coaches etc might have second thoughts if the game doesn't go our way but then again it might just be the start of the curse of the 4th jersey
            RIT Tigers
            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
            Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
              Outdoor ice arenas are almost the same ice conditions as an indoor rink
              I think maybe a difference might be between a permanent rink and a temporary one. That might effect the ice quality?

Rain is the worst and essentially would make the game unplayable.
              Agreed. That would suck for everyone.

Personally, playing outside is incredibly fun, so I know the players will love that.
              I hate playing outside. The men's league I played in for a few years played at Cass Park in Ithaca which is an "open to the elements" style rink (roof and a single wall, 3 other sides were open) and it sucked most of the time. Ice surface was fine but it was cold and wind way too often.

For me, I'm not a fan out these outdoor games, but RIT for whatever reason(s) has decided that they wanted to do it, so like was mentioned, either go or not. I'm not even though I was offered free tickets, but I saw too many games in Geneva to go to something like this.
              My Four Favorite teams:
              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                I hate playing outside. The men's league I played in for a few years played at Cass Park in Ithaca which is an "open to the elements" style rink (roof and a single wall, 3 other sides were open) and it sucked most of the time. Ice surface was fine but it was cold and wind way too often.

For me, I'm not a fan out these outdoor games, but RIT for whatever reason(s) has decided that they wanted to do it, so like was mentioned, either go or not. I'm not even though I was offered free tickets, but I saw too many games in Geneva to go to something like this.
                If I had to regularly play outside I would probably hate it to, but my experience is just "special event"
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

If I had to regularly play outside I would probably hate it to, but my experience is just "special event"
                  After playing pond hockey for years (a long time ago), I agree the ice is usually "garbage". However, at 20 degrees and with good ice, to me the conditions would qualify as "excellent". Around 20 degrees is downright comfortable when wearing hockey gear.
                  RIT TIGERS
                  Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                  Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
                  Frozen Four 2010
                  The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...er-field-uconn

RIT at 6 in the AHA Power Rankings.
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I can't tell if Bently is for real. They seem a bit inflated in these rankings, but I guess the season is still young. The win at AF certainly helps.

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        I can't tell if Bently is for real. They seem a bit inflated in these rankings, but I guess the season is still young. The win at AF certainly helps.
                        I tend to agree, but I can't fault the ranking based on what they have done so far this year.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Don't understand how Canisius is so high here....I would put Air Force 4 and RIT 5.

I'm also very curious to see more of UCONN. I don't think the sweep of Niagara is as big a deal as it's made out to be here...Niagara has so far looked pretty bad and lost a lot of their high caliber players in the offseason. But UCONN is playing with what could be considered their first Hockey East recruiting class and they should be a strong AHA team as a result.
                          RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                            Don't understand how Canisius is so high here....I would put Air Force 4 and RIT 5.

I'm also very curious to see more of UCONN. I don't think the sweep of Niagara is as big a deal as it's made out to be here...Niagara has so far looked pretty bad and lost a lot of their high caliber players in the offseason. But UCONN is playing with what could be considered their first Hockey East recruiting class and they should be a strong AHA team as a result.
                            I want to be sold out on RIT but I'm not yet. Four of the five games are against AIC and Sacred Heart. I'm high on Canisius because they have played a tough schedule and I feel they have horses to get it done in second half like they did last season. I feel top six are all quality teams then there is a drop off.

Comment

I want to be sold out on RIT but I'm not yet. Four of the five games are against AIC and Sacred Heart. I'm high on Canisius because they have played a tough schedule and I feel they have horses to get it done in second half like they did last season. I feel top six are all quality teams then there is a drop off.
                              What you say about RIT is fair. However I do there there's more to our streak than just playing bad teams. We're definitely playing better and have some lines and players that have really taken off. But time will tell. I'm mostly just not sold on Canisius, maybe part of it is just me refusing to believe it..but they haven't really impressed me to this point. One improbable win at Denver aside, it's a fairly mediocre season so far.
                              RIT

Comment

I'm hoping to see RIT at Bentley on Jan. 10. I'm more committed to covering ECAC and Hockey East from the job standpoint, but always enjoy covering the smaller schools as I think that is what is great about college hockey. Wayne Wilson runs a first class program out there.

To be fair, I have seen every team in Hockey East live, more than half the ECAC live and only five AHA schools live so I do not have quite the perspective on the AHA that I do the others. I do try and catch some highlights and read as much into stats as I can, but it is harder with limited exposure in the Atlantic compared to the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X