X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2013-2014 - Rocking The Ritter One Last Time <<<<<

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    With all the concern on this thread about the slow start this season what would be your opinion on points this weekend to make you feel that RIT is heading in the right direction? Four, three, two points or is it still too early? I am thinking that two points from a win, (not two points from two ties.)
    I would estimate losing to Mercyhurst and beating Robert Morris.
    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      I just don't understand your logic. Last years team did not have trouble putting the puck in the net, compare to the year before they scored 24 more goals and they played one less game. In fact only Mercyhurst scored more and it was a 6 goal difference and the Lakers had 3 games more than the Tigers. There was no reason to mess with the forwards, the problems was all from the blue line in. I mean your talking about a group of forwards who scored more goals than Niagara did last season. And you wonder why people thought you might have had some extra crazy juice?

In fairness though I was more making the point that a lot of people hit the panic button early last season. Now there no doubt that for the first time in many years they had more justification. However one disappointing season doesn't ruin a program. What I am saying is now we are starting to see a disturbing pattern and that more of a rational reason to be concern.
      Ok, I'll try this one more time and then I'll just keep it to myself after that (I can hear you all cheering now - stop it!).
      I have repeatedly acknowledged that the team's offense as a whole was perfectly capable of scoring last year and did that seemingly more than enough, ranking # 9 in the nation in goals (so you don't need to keep telling me that). My point has always been made and expressed accepting that the team's defense and goaltending were of primary concern. My concern was the one "chip in the armor" of the offense that I believe could make the difference between an 8th place finish and possibly contending for a first round bye, given that the goaltending and defense are not very good. The first time I brought it up was in a post that I made where I addressed ALL aspects of the team and what I thought as the issues that could have been causing the problems. Of course being on a message board, everybody focused on what they felt was fueled by "crazy juice" rather than the post as a whole.
      So AGAIN...
      The offense scores plenty of goals which is fine and they are not by any stretch the biggest issue, but... The fact remains that they rarely score a "Big" goal, i.e. late in close games or in critical power plays. The job of scoring such goals usually falls on that true elite # 1 "Go-to" line rather than one of the three reliable # 2 lines they have. This may not be a major weakness normally, but is greatly magnified when the defense is weak and the goaltending is not spectacular (or even just mediocre at times like last season). RIT is pretty much assured that the opposition is going to score goals, so the offense is going to be depended on to score goals, score many late close game goals, and take advantage of as many power plays as possible especially in the third period. It seems kind of unfair to say to the offense: "You're really good, but the rest of your team isn't very good so you need to be even better", but IMO that is kind of the situation they're in. What would be even better is if the defense and or goalies stepped up their games and let the offense do what it does, but it doesn't look like that's about to happen.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I don't think they NEVER score the big goal. After all, the 2 ties are come from behind ties in the third period. That they have not done so in a more consistant basis should be cause for worry (I dare say in the Michigan game it took a LOT of energy to come back to tie, only to see it drained with that critical 5th goal).

These are some important points to get in these next 3 games. They have to pick up some points here to not fall too far back like last year.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Pinner posted this video from 2012 that describes him as "The Comeback Kid." There's a highlight around the 6:10 mark of Pinner giving an assist to Tanev who scores when the were both playing for Chicago.

I don't think the embed video feature is working; here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuwuHAOPQM8
          RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

I wish I knew RIT was making its PA rounds this week. I've been in Pittsburgh for a few days on business... would have stuck around for the games :|
            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
              I don't think they NEVER score the big goal.
              Just for the record, I said "rarely", not "never".
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

If the radio call was accurate on the Mercyhurst 2nd goal (that Smith stopped skating and turned to the ref before the play was over), I'd take him out of the lineup for tomorrow night's game. Inexcusable. Play to the whistle. That said, Wilson blamed Adam Mitchell (whose all around game I've never been a big fan of) for the turnover that led to that goal. Wilson also said that while Garbowsky and Colavecchia had good games, their linemates were "along for the ride" and to expect some shakeups in the top two lines.

I'm also convinced that until they upgrade in net, this team is not a contender - even in the AHA. The one soft goal yet again the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                  If the radio call was accurate on the Mercyhurst 2nd goal (that Smith stopped skating and turned to the ref before the play was over), I'd take him out of the lineup for tomorrow night's game. Inexcusable. Play to the whistle. That said, Wilson blamed Adam Mitchell (whose all around game I've never been a big fan of) for the turnover that led to that goal. Wilson also said that while Garbowsky and Colavecchia had good games, their linemates were "along for the ride" and to expect some shakeups in the top two lines.

I'm also convinced that until they upgrade in net, this team is not a contender - even in the AHA. The one soft goal yet again the difference.
                  It's such a bizarre thing though. Air Force beats us 2-0, gets drubbed 8-2 by Mercyhurst. We lose to Mercyhurst 3-2.

I think RIT is a really good team that is really struggling to get over the hump, which I think is mostly mental. Getting the first win is essential for confidence..
                  RIT

Comment

I would welcome some line shuffling. On paper, the lines seem to be what we would like but for whatever reason it's not working. The good thing about depth is that if you want to send a message and sit someone, you can. Coach is not afraid to sit top players to prove a point when he has bodies to do so.

Comment

Rit is going to win tonight. I will take that to the bank. Period.
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Frozen Four
                      Elite Eight
                      NCAA Tournament
                      2010-2015-2016
                      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                        Good call. RMU is a good team, but I don't think they're quite as good as AFA and Mercyhurst this year, and I think that's exactly what RIT needed to get that first win.

That said, I don't remember seeing RIT allow a single delayed-penalty goal last season; this weekend, we allowed three.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          That said, I don't remember seeing RIT allow a single delayed-penalty goal last season; this weekend, we allowed three.
                          They need to do something about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                            At last, it has happened! Good call.

Sounds like the game went pretty well, eh?
                            2010 Frozen Four/National Semi-Finalists!
                            2011 (Dec) Catamount Cup Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by redhotzep96 View Post
                              At last, it has happened! Good call.

Sounds like the game went pretty well, eh?
                              It's hard to tell over the radio, but my impression is that RIT played about as well as they did against Air Force and Mercyhurst... it's just that either they didn't make that one critical error, or if they did make an error then RMU failed to take advantage.

Of course, it also helps to score 4 goals.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                It's hard to tell over the radio, but my impression is that RIT played about as well as they did against Air Force and Mercyhurst... it's just that either they didn't make that one critical error, or if they did make an error then RMU failed to take advantage.

Of course, it also helps to score 4 goals.

Powers &8^]
                                I thought it was key that RIT was able to extend leads. They were able to get 2 and 3 goal leads.

Comment

Working...
                                X