X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season ... The Target is firmly on

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Well the UML Athletic Department interns are slowly getting there. The online recap on goriverhawks.com has gone from 0-2 to 1-1-1 so somehow UML picked up another game and tied. Someone must think the McGill exhibition game tie counted. They'll get it right one of these days. But at least the schedule/results page has it right at 1-1. Hockey East has the standings page right at 1-1 for us but since they're fed the original game recap from UML, we're still 0-2 on the HE recap.

Hopefully for next Friday we'll get game notes posted like we used to online either the night before or the morning of the game (still waiting for last weekend to be posted and they never were). Between the lack of posted online advance game notes, no media guide online (even though HE media day was last month and supposedly they were available then), and the game recap miscues, it just gets a little frustrating as UML's been on top of details like these for several years and these little things are falling through the cracks this year that shouldn't be.

Also hope the video board's poor resolution will be fixed by next Friday.
    Also no video highlights of the game last night. Lowell has been on top of that the past couple of years, and now nothing. I have to say, from a media standpoint, the performance from the athletic department has been atrocious.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
      Also no video highlights of the game last night. Lowell has been on top of that the past couple of years, and now nothing. I have to say, from a media standpoint, the performance from the athletic department has been atrocious.
      Agreed, well below the standard we've been accustomed to the past several years. All the new Assistant ADs to the Assistant ADs to the Undersecretary of Something must all be gumming up the works somewhere. Too many cooks in the kitchen maybe? Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come as the move to DI was a great thing but not if it creates mediocrity across the board on things like this that weren't issues in the past.
      Last edited by riverchief1; 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM.
      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfan0862 View Post
        The other long time fan was my Dad. We have been season ticket holders for 34 years. This would have been Dad's 35th with me. John was a good friend of Dad and I. We knew him for a long time, we go back to the Tully when John's godson and I sold fifty fifty raffle tickets. I will miss Dad and John a lot. RIP Dad I love you.
        They will both be missed.

Comment

Agreed, well below the standard we've been accustomed to the past several years. All the new Assistant ADs to the Assistant ADs to the Undersecretary of Something must all be gumming up the works somewhere. Too many cooks in the kitchen maybe? Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come as the move to DI was a great thing but not if it creates mediocrity across the board on things like this that weren't issues in the past.
          Apparently from what I am hearing the radio is a fiasco. The AM feed was cut for coverage of HS football during the recap on Friday and the Red Sox on Saturday.
          The UML feed commentators were, according to someone I know who was listening, "a joke" not knowing the terminology, not following play, etc.

Agree with riverchief1 and Patronick. We survived quite well in D I hockey for 30 years. All the extra BS to make us like other DI schools so far leaves me unimpressed. We took something that was working like a well oiled machine, labeled it DI, added an extra layer of management that obviously has added nothing of worth and moved everyone around who was making it work. hmmm, no, it isn't working. Makes me sad. All the kudos from last yr made fans more loyal. This just makes me aggravated.
          Last edited by leswp1; 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Apparently from what I am hearing the radio is a fiasco. The FM feed was cut for coverage of HS football during the recap on Friday and the Red Sox on Saturday.
            The UML feed commentators were, according to someone I know who was listening, "a joke" not knowing the terminology, not following play, etc.

Agree with riverchief1 and Patronick. We survived quite well in D I hockey for 30 years. All the extra BS to make us like other DI schools so far leaves me unimpressed. We took something that was working like a well oiled machine, labeled it DI, added an extra layer of management that obviously has added nothing of worth and moved everyone around who was making it work. hmmm, no, it isn't working. Makes me sad. All the kudos from last yr made fans more loyal. This just makes me aggravated.
            We're talking about the students being a "joke", yes?

----

I think its likely some of this stuff is moving too fast. The radio deal especially. And, as far as I can tell, other sports are/will have issues with fields. Time to "cool it" a bit and grow into what we have before we move much further.

edit: student radio will always have issues... friend of mine did the UConn student radio. While he did the best job he could for multiple sports he a couple of times where people really screwed up like one of their guys thought it was smart to drink during a UConn-Providence game in providence. At best its on the job training... at worst its somebody's attempt to get free pizza and attention.

edit #2: If they really wanted to spin things off then they should have let it have its time. I don't know WUML's legal set up... maybe they can't broadcast the ESPN NH feed. I dunno, if it were me I'd phase it out over a couple of years and give students trial runs with working w Bob or something.

I have no idea of what's going on at campus, but if WUML is trying to start up a sports division then that's laudable because we can't have Bob doing every little thing around campus.
            Last edited by Patman; 10-14-2013, 01:45 AM.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os63y...ure=youtu.be&a
              What did you say?
              Who own the Chiefs?
              What did he say?
              Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Apparently from what I am hearing the radio is a fiasco. The AM feed was cut for coverage of HS football during the recap on Friday and the Red Sox on Saturday.

To be honest it had to be expected, in regards to the student broadcast. I've never heard a student sports broadcast that didn't make me cringe. So I just kind of figured that was a given and wrote it off.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  We're talking about the students being a "joke", yes?

----

I think its likely some of this stuff is moving too fast. The radio deal especially. And, as far as I can tell, other sports are/will have issues with fields. Time to "cool it" a bit and grow into what we have before we move much further.

edit: student radio will always have issues... friend of mine did the UConn student radio. While he did the best job he could for multiple sports he a couple of times where people really screwed up like one of their guys thought it was smart to drink during a UConn-Providence game in providence. At best its on the job training... at worst its somebody's attempt to get free pizza and attention.

edit #2: If they really wanted to spin things off then they should have let it have its time. I don't know WUML's legal set up... maybe they can't broadcast the ESPN NH feed. I dunno, if it were me I'd phase it out over a couple of years and give students trial runs with working w Bob or something.

I have no idea of what's going on at campus, but if WUML is trying to start up a sports division then that's laudable because we can't have Bob doing every little thing around campus.
                  Nope, talking about the new UML radio network (ESPN, etc.). Lots of problems with reception, poor broadcast quality, post game show being cut off and not getting the full broadcast, etc.
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

To be honest it had to be expected, in regards to the student broadcast. I've never heard a student sports broadcast that didn't make me cringe. So I just kind of figured that was a given and wrote it off.
                    No, frustration is with the new radio network.

Don't know why they couldn't have just kept Bob on UMUL and connected with the other stations if they wanted to for better exposure and range (which isn't happening, it's worse). And many don't know this but WCAP often carried the WUML game feed the last few years with no problems. But it's all a mess now.

PS - the Athletic Department interns finally, on the third try, have Saturday's game recap correct with the 1-1-0 record.

I so wish the Ice is Life would come back. Best team coverage anywhere, no contest.
                    Last edited by riverchief1; 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM.
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Nope, talking about the new UML radio network (ESPN, etc.). Lots of problems with reception, poor broadcast quality, post game show being cut off and not getting the full broadcast, etc.
                      les referred to broadcasters... I don't think she means Bob, Jim Connelly, and Mr. Dawe.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        les referred to broadcasters... I don't think she means Bob, Jim Connelly, and Mr. Dawe.
                        Simplified- You can get FM where they are not knowledgeable or you can't get AM because you have to be 50 ft from the station they are broadcasting from. SO irritating

Comment

Whew! UML only dropped to 9th in the USCHO poll and we lost all of our first place votes (rightfully so). Quinnipiac in 14th and also 1-1 so this weekend is huge in stabilizing UML's poll standings and in the best possible NCAA placement down the road. It's early in the season but that loss to SH needs to be insulated as much as possible from affecting the team down the road.
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Well the UML Athletic Department interns are slowly getting there. The online recap on goriverhawks.com has gone from 0-2 to 1-1-1 so somehow UML picked up another game and tied. Someone must think the McGill exhibition game tie counted. They'll get it right one of these days. But at least the schedule/results page has it right at 1-1. Hockey East has the standings page right at 1-1 for us but since they're fed the original game recap from UML, we're still 0-2 on the HE recap.

Hopefully for next Friday we'll get game notes posted like we used to online either the night before or the morning of the game (still waiting for last weekend to be posted and they never were). Between the lack of posted online advance game notes, no media guide online (even though HE media day was last month and supposedly they were available then), and the game recap miscues, it just gets a little frustrating as UML's been on top of details like these for several years and little things are falling through the cracks this year that shouldn't be.

Also hope the video board's poor resolution will be fixed by next Friday.
                            That's alright. The Hockey East interns aren't much better. They still have Jon Gilles listed as a freshman goaltender from Providence College in this week's press release. They also didn't include Chris Maniccia with his first collegiate goal in the career milestones section.
                            Last edited by pressbox; 10-14-2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

FYI if you're heading to Michigan next week, the Alumni Office bought up all of the tickets and you need to order them through their office. There's an online form here to order tickets and sign up for the pre-game receptions.

Comment

Saturday is Quinnipiac's home opener, and they will be raising 3 banners to celebrate last year's team. Here's hoping their banner night ends up just like ours did.

For those not making the trip to Hamden, they have live video of the game on their website for free: http://quinnipiacbobcats.com/sports/...20131016e0uhsw
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X