X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tUMD 2013-2014 Season Thread--beginning of another new era

Originally posted by jopio View Post
    Make that eleven.
    I've been away for several years, but can still recall as a kid getting to the old Curling Club early in order to get picked to push a plow between periods. Cold as h*ll sitting on those wood bleachers, watching Huffer Christiansen fly around that indoor natural ice. In later years, enjoyed the warmth of the Arena-Auditorium watching the likes of Jerome Mrasek, Glenn Resch, Rick Heinz, Walt Ledingham, PeeWee Pat Boutett, Lessard, Ron Buznick, Dave Langevin, Tom Kurvers, and Curt Giles.
    Make it a dozen. I missed this season tUMD thread earlier.

Looking forward to NCHC play, especially new foes Miami and Western. It appears Sandy and Company have done a good job bringing in some impact frosh.

I too will miss tPB website primarily for recruit info. Hopefully, some of the regulars who posted recruit info there, like umd26mn and others, will post here.
    tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Osterberg looked pretty good, definitely. What concerns me (and doesn't this sound familiar) is the trend that all these other teams goalies have really hot nights against UMD. Is it that UMD keeps running into really tough goalies, or we need better offensive weapons. Losing a shootout 2-0 to Tech also helps solidify my point. It just seems oh so familiar, so many shots, outplaying, and falling up short. I don't think it's that it's always a hot goalie to blame.

and what I mean, is maybe part of it is that the team isn't as scrappy as it once was, but the PP also does not seem so potent. In my recollection of UMD's best years, they had a great powerplay but much productivity came from grit around the crease. I don't know, something along those lines has been missing the last couple years
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Thank you lord of other Dogs fans to chat with, surrounded by Gopher fans here in the cities.

Excited to see the chemistry develop over the course of the season as their youth and inexperience is still very much noticeable, but there is no denying the talent and skill level of our Freshmen and Sophomores. If we can keep everyone around, this team could be real exciting to watch for the next few years. Just hope the Defense develops and can keep us in games...

Comment

I'm in too. Haven't really been able to do much researching prior to the season starting. What are our strengths and weaknesses this year? What should I expect?
          "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
            I'm in too. Haven't really been able to do much researching prior to the season starting. What are our strengths and weaknesses this year? What should I expect?
            Top six forwards Camranesi-Farley-Basaraba-Herbert-Iafallo-Tonitnoto should provide some decent offense. With two of top six forwards being freshmen, it speaks volumes how much the other returning forwards are not looked to provide much offense. Defense is a little green with Smith-Welinski the only solid returning players. If Soucy and Raskob develop quickly, things should be OK. Goaltending should be decent with McNeely very solid. PP looked like crap against Tech, but only first weekend. Not sure if our PK was good or Tech's PP was junk...probably a little of each.
            tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
              Top six forwards Camranesi-Farley-Basaraba-Herbert-Iafallo-Tonitnoto should provide some decent offense. With two of top six forwards being freshmen, it speaks volumes how much the other returning forwards are not looked to provide much offense. Defense is a little green with Smith-Welinski the only solid returning players. If Soucy and Raskob develop quickly, things should be OK. Goaltending should be decent with McNeely very solid. PP looked like crap against Tech, but only first weekend. Not sure if our PK was good or Tech's PP was junk...probably a little of each.
              I was very concerned about the defense coming into the season. But based on last weekend it may not be as bad as we think. But if we also base our PP and scoring expectations on last weekend and those both will be a struggle. I find that hard to believe given the offensive talent on this team. Their passing timing was off...you'd expect that to be better this weekend and better into the season. I cannot remember a weekend where the team looked more rusty than last one
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                What concerns me (and doesn't this sound familiar) is the trend that all these other teams goalies have really hot nights against UMD.
                That sounds eerily like what we DU fans would say.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

We looked rusty most of last year. Just wouldn't fight for loose pucks, or hustle to gain free ice. Good passes to open ice would find forwards with out the "head" to get the puck. By the end of the year Dan Delise was showing more give a **** than the first line.

We have talent and we can be successful. It will probably be a long year, but can be a great building season for the 2015 National Champion team.
                  UMD: tHobey Baker University.

Comment

Best performance of the young season last night. Encouraging to see our freshmen score and our goaltending and penalty kill is doing very well. Our team GAA is near the top in the nation and so is our PK. That helps make up for our unusually weak power play. But knowing Sandelin's system and how he has his teams playing...that PP will coming along eventually.

ND will be quite the test...although I'll be watching today to see how they do against Tech.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I was impressed with the win on Saturday. I am still a little concerned about the power play but I am sure it will turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by PrideOfTheNorth View Post
                        I was impressed with the win on Saturday. I am still a little concerned about the power play but I am sure it will turn around.
                        For sure. Sandelin has the track record that puts me at ease. Plus with the players we have it is only a matter of time until we start clicking more.

Notre Dame better watch out this weekend...they won't have the reffing on their side like it was against Michigan Tech.
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a prospective schedule for next season. I know I saw a rough outline somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Also, does anyone have any ticket information for the N'star Cup? I see I can get some tickets from tUMD ticket office. https://umdbulldogs.d.umn.edu/cart/i...roducts_id=461 But, I would like to pick my seats.

Comment

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
                            Does anyone have a link to a prospective schedule for next season. I know I saw a rough outline somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Also, does anyone have any ticket information for the N'star Cup? I see I can get some tickets from tUMD ticket office. https://umdbulldogs.d.umn.edu/cart/i...roducts_id=461 But, I would like to pick my seats.
                            I don't know a link to that schedule information. Pates would always come through with next years schedule in March or April (way ahead of most schools releasing that info). But with a new beat writer...who knows when we will find out. Maybe we could ask him, to ask others?

All we know is that UMD is playing in the Ice Breaker Tournament at Notre Dame against RPI and another team I cannot recall at this time. They visit Michigan Tech in December. If we signed a four year deal with OSU then we will play them again. I do not know of any other non-conference agreements we have or still need to fulfill (We should have one more non-conference series for next year). I hope that a series between UMaine and UMD could come to fruition however . We are in the North Star Cup again next year and would assume we would visit UMTC sometime in November.

As for picking your seats? Looks like you'll have to wait until sometime in November after the X ships the tickets to the four schools involved. I'm sure they are sorting through requests from each school and then other seats will become available
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Thanks for the info Biddco.

I thought Pates had it on R&R somewhere, but couldn't find it for the life of me. I thought he might have had a hunch on another Eastern road trip, but I easily could have imagined that.

Any thoughts on getting tickets through the ticket office vs waiting? Like would the seats be any good? I should probably just call them and see what they know.

Comment

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
                                Thanks for the info Biddco.

I thought Pates had it on R&R somewhere, but couldn't find it for the life of me. I thought he might have had a hunch on another Eastern road trip, but I easily could have imagined that.

Any thoughts on getting tickets through the ticket office vs waiting? Like would the seats be any good? I should probably just call them and see what they know.
                                You might be thinking of the matchup with RPI for the Icebreaker.

I bought tickets through the ticket office just make sure I'm sitting with UMD fans... but I'm sure there will be plenty of seats in that section and around the rink if you wait. Most think this event will be sparsely attended and I cannot disagree. Just hope it becomes something bigger. I think it has some good potential.
                                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X