PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

FlagDUDE08
09-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Have not seen them practice this year, my guess is the PP unit consists of JL, Neal, Mike Z., Haggs and Curtis. Might see Guy out there w/ that big heavy shot. Thoughts on PK??? I believe Johnny Rocket will be a mainstay of the unit, speed kills.

Why would you split up Zalewski and Bubela? Obviously anything can happen with chemistry, but those two were like spaghetti and meatballs.

Ralph Baer
09-28-2013, 11:57 PM
In honor of Phil Hampton and Madison Marzario, today is 29 September 2013. There are 6 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.

AspyDad
09-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Why would you split up Zalewski and Bubela? Obviously anything can happen with chemistry, but those two were like spaghetti and meatballs.

Maybe I wouldn't my long haired friend. I don't mind having the PP loaded w/ forwards because of their offensive prowess. I know the good Dr. (whom I have the greatest respect for his hockey, alcohol and knowledge of the female species) will likely disagree with me but when you watch BC they load up with forwards on PP. I think we can do this especially with Kazzie back there. Also, if you think about it when the PP is on, usually the opposing teams least offensive minded threats are working their PK.

FlagDUDE08
09-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Maybe I wouldn't my long haired friend. I don't mind having the PP loaded w/ forwards because of their offensive prowess. I know the good Dr. (whom I have the greatest respect for his hockey, alcohol and knowledge of the female species) will likely disagree with me but when you watch BC they load up with forwards on PP. I think we can do this especially with Kazzie back there. Also, if you think about it when the PP is on, usually the opposing teams least offensive minded threats are working their PK.

One thing we've certainly found in the past is that we're not all that good with a 5-0 or even 4-1 on the PP. In the second half of last year, we would do a 3-2 and flip Bailen (with Dolan or Bokenfohr on the line with a forward, I like Laliberté), or it would be Leonard and Bradley on the blue with Bubela, Zalewski, and I think Lee (obviously that last body will be changing). What about Dolan and maybe someone like Reno with NHL? And who knows, maybe with Z/B's power, we'll even see someone like Bourbonnais make a PP squad.

AspyDad
09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
(with Dolan or Bokenfohr on the line with a forward, I like Laliberté), or it would be Leonard and Bradley on the blue with Bubela, Zalewski, and I think Lee (obviously that last body will be changing). What about Dolan and maybe someone like Reno with NHL? And who knows, maybe with Z/B's power, we'll even see someone like Bourbonnais make a PP squad.

Bokenfohr did not play on PP last year. He only played 5 games all year. http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6240&path=hockey

Ralph Baer
09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Bokenfohr did not play on PP last year. He only played 5 games all year. http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6240&path=hockey

But he is great with a putter. ;)

Ralph Baer
09-29-2013, 02:49 PM
FWIW, Luke Curadi is doing color on the women's game.

Edit: only the first two periods

DrDemento
09-29-2013, 03:02 PM

I really think you have to be flexible in the approach to the power play. No hard and fast rules. You have to adapt to the team you are playing against. Especially at the college level where the talent levels vary so much-some teams can defend with so many different excellent players while other teams do not have that depth and have fewer. It is decidedly different at the upper levels like the NHL where everyone is just so good. Success on the power play at the college level, however, is critical for a team to win most of the games. As most know I am a firm believer in having some size up front(of course you would want as much skill on the ice but all things being equal-I like a skillful big boy in front of the net as opposed to a smaller player). You want to disrupt a team's planned defense as much as possible-trying to make 5 on 4 into 2 on 1 in front of the net. You want to obstruct a goalie's view of the ice and the puck. All of this is just obvious. Most important though, you have to spend the time to practice all odd man situations so often it becomes automatic. Having a good quarterback(or two) on the ice at the points certainly doesn't hurt but ther also has to be some semblance of defensive ability with some speed in retreat, to get back and prevent odd man rushes in the event of a bad rebound or intercepted pass.

Aspy, as you mentioned-I have a much better command of the other items listed in your post.;)

FlagDUDE08
09-29-2013, 04:21 PM

In the game on the Princeton/Quinnipiac away weekend he played in place of Bo Dolan, he was on the PP unit.

burgie12
09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
PtC is back for a <s>third</s> fourth season (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?105653-RPI-Pick-to-Click-2013-14-Revenge-of-the-Nerds)

Ralph Baer
09-30-2013, 12:20 AM
In honor of Luke Curadi, today is 30 September 2013. There are 5 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.

lugnut92
09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Kazzy named in USCHO's Ten Goaltenders to Watch (http://www.uscho.com/2013/09/30/ten-to-watch-picking-college-hockeys-top-goaltenders-for-2013-14/). Not surprising in the least.

Wicked Slappaahs
09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Its season kick-off week people !! Let's get it going !!!!!!!!

Ralph Baer
09-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I am not going to start a separate thread for the St Mary's exhibition game since the main reason for starting these weekly threads is to try to promote discussion with fans of the other school, and there are not a lot of St Mary's fans here. :) If anyone feels there should be one, please start it.

Ralph Baer
09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I bought tickets to the Cornell-Colgate weekend games (11/8, 11/9) this morning. Although I would have liked to go to the tailgate, I couldn't come up with reasons to go except for the weather being perhaps better than later in the season, but came up with several reasons not to go, only one game, crowded in town because of Parents Weekend, and a game which either will be a rout or we will play to SHU's level which will put me to sleep (and I prefer my bed ;) ). The fact that the women are playing a game the same day (UVM) is negated since I would miss about half for the Tailgate.

FreshFish
09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Although I would have liked to go to the tailgate, I couldn't come up with reasons to go except for the weather being perhaps better than later in the season, but came up with several reasons not to go.

Given today's technology, perhaps you can convince one of the attendees at the tailgate to set up an iPad to send streaming pictures of the event in a web feed so that anyone who'd like to be there but cannot make it in person can attend in spirit on line?

FlagDUDE08
09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I bought tickets to the Cornell-Colgate weekend games (11/8, 11/9) this morning. Although I would have liked to go to the tailgate, I couldn't come up with reasons to go except for the weather being perhaps better than later in the season, but came up with several reasons not to go, only one game, crowded in town because of Parents Weekend, and a game which either will be a rout or we will play to SHU's level which will put me to sleep (and I prefer my bed ;) ). The fact that the women are playing a game the same day (UVM) is negated since I would miss about half for the Tailgate.

I will be the bookie for bets on how many of these two games Ralph actually attends due to weather. :D

Ralph Baer
09-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Given today's technology, perhaps you can convince one of the attendees at the tailgate to set up an iPad to send streaming pictures of the event in a web feed so that anyone who'd like to be there but cannot make it in person can attend in spirit on line?

RPI-TV should do it. :D

Wicked Slappaahs
09-30-2013, 12:41 PM

Too bad you didn't think it through more thoroughly, RB ... :D

Ralph Baer
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Too bad you didn't think it through more thoroughly, RB ... :D

I'm already thinking about next season. The Icebreaker at Notre Dame is currently the leading choice. :D