This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Looking back over this thread since the beginning of the season-the postings have ranged from incredible highs to the deepest lows. it is at times like this that i am so glad they discovered Lithium. I think there are a number who would benefit from about 300mg taken three times a day and increasing the dosage after a weekend like we just had.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      There's nothing positive about cancers.
      Speak for yourself. Especially considering our astrological sign.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
        Wish that I had written this. Somewhere between those who want to immediately fire SA because we had a bad weekend and those who believe he is God, there is an honest RPI fan reaction that says that this weekend exposed some serious flaws in a team that we had all come to believe was better than this. Discipline is a big part of it, and I have to think that for all of his talk about maturity and the need for leadership etc. etc., that SA needs to show more leadership in refraining from pointing at refs (even when he thinks they made mistakes). When great teams lose they look only at themselves and change. When mediocre teams lose they look for someone else to blame and don't change.
        One of the better perspectives I've read, and exactly how I feel. That being said, you'd think we were Dartmouth with some of the ways people are talking in these threads. There's always room for improvement, but I've seen a lot of positive, overall growth the last 4-5 seasons.
        Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
          One of the better perspectives I've read, and exactly how I feel. That being said, you'd think we were Dartmouth with some of the ways people are talking in these threads. There's always room for improvement, but I've seen a lot of positive, overall growth the last 4-5 seasons.
          Growth in the team or SA?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Growth in the team or SA?
            A little bit of both, more the team's discipline minus the Union weekend (but I expected that to happen at some point, sadly, and why I'm not always the biggest fan of 'rivalry' games in any sport). I have to be honest, when it comes to Seth "pointing at the refs", after watching the crappy, inconsistent, biased reffing in the ECAC for years, I can't blame him for not putting up with a bunch of obvious BS anymore. I'd probably do the same.
            Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

I may be alone on this, but I'm pretty sure I've heard in multiple pre/post game interviews SA saying something along the lines of (paraphrasing) 'the team prepares about 90% based on its own play, and 10% based upon the opponent, because thats how championship teams prepare'. That, in my experience, is a luxury afforded to teams that have a level of talent capable of dictating the style and pace of play against just about every opponent they play, which this RPI team does not appear to have. I'm not sure 'act as if' is as viable of a game plan on the ice as it sounds during an interview. That being said, it could just be fluff that he says to reporters to give the appearance of an elevated level of confidence in his team.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Looking back over this thread since the beginning of the season-the postings have ranged from incredible highs to the deepest lows. it is at times like this that i am so glad they discovered Lithium. I think there are a number who would benefit from about 300mg taken three times a day and increasing the dosage after a weekend like we just had.
                I know one in particular that could use a lithium enema.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by hrbrendan View Post
                  I may be alone on this, but I'm pretty sure I've heard in multiple pre/post game interviews SA saying something along the lines of (paraphrasing) 'the team prepares about 90% based on its own play, and 10% based upon the opponent, because thats how championship teams prepare'. That, in my experience, is a luxury afforded to teams that have a level of talent capable of dictating the style and pace of play against just about every opponent they play, which this RPI team does not appear to have. I'm not sure 'act as if' is as viable of a game plan on the ice as it sounds during an interview. That being said, it could just be fluff that he says to reporters to give the appearance of an elevated level of confidence in his team.
                  He does have a point that any team playing any sport needs to exert poise and control, and to play their game. That having been said, I disagree with the percentages, but of course who wouldn't when it comes to semantics; I'd bring it to about 60/40. What each player brings to the team is a definite indicator of who should play against specific opponents, and something correct that SA has been doing. If I'm going to play a trap team such as Union or Cornell, I know that beautiful cross-ice tic-tac-toe isn't going to work, and so I would much rather have bruiser forwards that are able to win positioning battles, get pucks out of corners, and expose the holes that occur with playing a trap style. When we play skating teams such as Yale or SLU, that's when you can do the stuff that will tire your opponent and play a battle of conditioning, while still finishing those checks and give them a brick wall to run into. I believe the specific strategies is where the coach runs into problems, trying to fit the Yale/SLU mold against all teams, when the opponent's defence is specifically designed to stop what you are doing. I liken it to 1v1 Starcraft, where the selection of your opponent's race has a great effect upon what strategy you use to defeat your opponent. That's not to say there aren't fundamentals you need regardless of your opponent (and is what SA is talking about), but that can only get you so far.
                  Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

You know what's funny? This guy pokes fun at people that have an obsession over him, yet despite using the ignore feature, he still has an obsession with me. Ironic.

Comment

Minnesota- North Dakota running away with poll so far. Vote for RPI- Union as best rivalry here

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...e-gostisbehere
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Please do not feed the Troll anything. It will seize upon the slightest crumb as a pretext.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          He does have a point that any team playing any sport needs to exert poise and control, and to play their game. That having been said, I disagree with the percentages, but of course who wouldn't when it comes to semantics; I'd bring it to about 60/40. What each player brings to the team is a definite indicator of who should play against specific opponents, and something correct that SA has been doing. If I'm going to play a trap team such as Union or Cornell, I know that beautiful cross-ice tic-tac-toe isn't going to work, and so I would much rather have bruiser forwards that are able to win positioning battles, get pucks out of corners, and expose the holes that occur with playing a trap style. When we play skating teams such as Yale or SLU, that's when you can do the stuff that will tire your opponent and play a battle of conditioning, while still finishing those checks and give them a brick wall to run into. I believe the specific strategies is where the coach runs into problems, trying to fit the Yale/SLU mold against all teams, when the opponent's defence is specifically designed to stop what you are doing. I liken it to 1v1 Starcraft, where the selection of your opponent's race has a great effect upon what strategy you use to defeat your opponent. That's not to say there aren't fundamentals you need regardless of your opponent (and is what SA is talking about), but that can only get you so far.
                          Need more Zerg, less Protoss.

Comment

Some horrible news out of Fargo that could have some effect on Devito/Wood/Bourbonnais, last years Lincoln Stars HC, Chad Johnson, was found dead alongside railroad tracks in Fargo. This is life NOT a hockey score.....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418783/ ......Another article....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418783/
                            Last edited by turk181; 11-19-2013, 10:57 AM.
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              Some horrible news out of Fargo that could have some effect on Devito/Wood/Bourbonnais, last years Lincoln Stars HC, Chad Johnson, was found dead alongside railroad tracks in Fargo. This is life NOT a hockey score.....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418783/
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                Some horrible news out of Fargo that could have some effect on Devito/Wood/Bourbonnais, last years Lincoln Stars HC, Chad Johnson, was found dead alongside railroad tracks in Fargo. This is life NOT a hockey score.....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418783/ ......Another article....http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418783/
                                Sorry to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X