PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69

Red Cloud
12-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't think that really changes the fact that Friday will be a pivotal game of this season. We've shown we can just kick the **** out of bad teams. We need to show we can put away the good ones (or even the mediocre *cough Harvard cough*).

I think Friday can be a positive turning point for this team, which has played well against Quinnipiac in the recent past regardless of the outcome. On paper, this is still a strong team, and if they get a good result against a very strong opponent, it's the kind of springboard you want going forward.

Saturday has the potential to be the exact opposite, though. Princeton may be as bad a team as we've seen all year and a poor result in that game is just going to perpetuate the "playing to the level of your opponent" theme. The Harvard series was definitely a black mark. This team has had two weeks to heal itself and get back into the right mindset, and this is the only league weekend until January so you're absolutely right about the importance.

johnk
12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
We need to show that we can beat trap teams. The last time this team was able to beat Princeton was February of 2011. (insert slams related to another thread in 3... 2... 1...) One thing that I did see in last year's game at Hobey (yes I was there, DrD is witness) was that we just could not put the puck on net to save our lives. And I'm also referring to open chances where the net was missed, something that doesn't go on the score sheet.

Do you even know what the ****ing trap is? FYI Union does not play the trap. They used an aggresive forecheck and didn't even use a hint of just trying to clog up the neutral zone. As *** up as your opinions are, they are your opinions and you are entitled to post them as much as everyone else but when you make s h i t up in your head is where you need to stop. If anything RPI needs to stop trying to use the trap when they have leads late in the game and start putting teams away.

Red Cloud
12-04-2013, 07:18 AM
if anything rpi needs to stop trying to use the trap when they have leads late in the game and start putting teams away.

QFT!a

FreshFish
12-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Maybe RC and FD can make a thread over in the Café and keep this going there.

I think jericho already started that thread.....

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?106421-Fire-FlagDUDE&p=5815994#post5815994

though it looks like he spelled FlagDud's name wrong....

DrDemento
12-04-2013, 05:15 PM
DrD, you have the games backwards. Quinnipiac is Friday, Princeton is Saturday. I don't think that really changes the fact that Friday will be a pivotal game of this season. We've shown we can just kick the **** out of bad teams. We need to show we can put away the good ones (or even the mediocre *cough Harvard cough*).

Sorry-was just thinking of the series in January-we have tickets for the Princeton game and Friday was in my mind. Obviously the Q is the big test. We have matched up well with them the past couple years despite some of the final results. They are one of the few teams i have gotten to see multiple times this year on TV-this is not a team that sits back at any time. They can score a lot of goals quickly combined with a very stingy defense that seems to allow the goalie to do his job more easily. We have got a lot of work to do-control the Jones boys, negate Peca, keep Anas off the scoresheet, stay out of the box(their power play just moves the puck so well) and very importantly-find a way to keep the puck in their end. Let's Go Red!!!

DrDemento
12-04-2013, 05:17 PM
We need to show that we can beat trap teams. The last time this team was able to beat Princeton was February of 2011. (insert slams related to another thread in 3... 2... 1...) One thing that I did see in last year's game at Hobey (yes I was there, DrD is witness) was that we just could not put the puck on net to save our lives. And I'm also referring to open chances where the net was missed, something that doesn't go on the score sheet.

I will attest for the fact that FD was there-he might have been the only guy there with longer hair than mine! It was an odd game-called very poorly by the officials(Dumas?). We just never could get settled in the offensive zone and the puck was brought out against us very quickly.

DrDemento
12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Do you even know what the ****ing trap is? FYI Union does not play the trap. They used an aggresive forecheck and didn't even use a hint of just trying to clog up the neutral zone. As *** up as your opinions are, they are your opinions and you are entitled to post them as much as everyone else but when you make s h i t up in your head is where you need to stop. If anything RPI needs to stop trying to use the trap when they have leads late in the game and start putting teams away.

John: Those are the teams that really seem to give us trouble-the aggressive forecheck kills us-even on our power play. It is not the trap as you correctly point out. This does not seem to be something new though-we have had problems dealing with this aspect for a long time. This is one of the reasons that we have had such poor results against princeton(while other teams have had success). Hopefully coach Appert has this on his radar for the weekend.

Ralph Baer
12-04-2013, 06:48 PM
There is a post on eLynah (http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,190191) expressing an interest in identifying the years associated with Cornell pucks. I assume that the poster would also like identification of the years of the RPI pucks at http://collegepucks.angelfire.com/rensselaer-polytechnic-institute.html. I have several of these but I don't remember at all.

FlagDUDE08
12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I will attest for the fact that FD was there-he might have been the only guy there with longer hair than mine! It was an odd game-called very poorly by the officials(Dumas?). We just never could get settled in the offensive zone and the puck was brought out against us very quickly.

Officiating does not make up for missing the net.

engineerhockeyfan
12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
John: Those are the teams that really seem to give us trouble-the aggressive forecheck kills us-even on our power play. It is not the trap as you correctly point out. This does not seem to be something new though-we have had problems dealing with this aspect for a long time. This is one of the reasons that we have had such poor results against princeton(while other teams have had success). Hopefully coach Appert has this on his radar for the weekend.

Doc, as usual, you are right. We have struggled with an aggressive forecheck forever. This is more than just a coaching problem, it is also a personnel problem.
We need defensemen who can confidently carry the puck out of our defensive zone. Or at least make a good pass out of the zone. SA can give these guys a system to get out, but if they get nervous when they are pressured, anything can and will happen. We have a couple of defensemen who can do this, but I find that if they pass to a forward in the defensive zone, the forwards don't know what to do with it.
It is a team game, and everyone has to be confident with the puck in all zones.
As for the offense, we do miss the net an awful lot. And we over pass the puck to a fault. I stopped counting the odd man rushes that we have squandered because we passed the puck and never got a shot on net.
"Getting the puck to the net is never a bad idea" Eddie O.

rsfs04
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Link to article by Ed today
http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131204/appert-wants-consistent-aggression

Interesting that Jake Wood, who would have been out Friday anyway due to suspension, is out for 4-6 after knee surgery. The forward depth we had is dwindling away.

ADK11
12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Do you even know what the ****ing trap is? FYI Union does not play the trap. They used an aggresive forecheck and didn't even use a hint of just trying to clog up the neutral zone. As *** up as your opinions are, they are your opinions and you are entitled to post them as much as everyone else but when you make s h i t up in your head is where you need to stop. If anything RPI needs to stop trying to use the trap when they have leads late in the game and start putting teams away.FWIW, Union does trap in the offensive zone, a variation of the left-wing lock. IMO calling it a trap is a misnomer since its really just a forechecking system that tries to "trap" a defender in a bad position where they will likely lose the puck. Union does not neutral zone trap unless they are trying to hold onto a lead in the 3rd period (something practically every team does). From what I've seen of the ECAC, Brown still does some neutral zone trapping throughout their games and Harvard (strangely) does it a little more than would expect.

johnk
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
FWIW, Union does trap in the offensive zone, a variation of the left-wing lock. IMO calling it a trap is a misnomer since its really just a forechecking system that tries to "trap" a defender in a bad position where they will likely lose the puck. Union does not neutral zone trap unless they are trying to hold onto a lead in the 3rd period (something practically every team does). From what I've seen of the ECAC, Brown still does some neutral zone trapping throughout their games and Harvard (strangely) does it a little more than would expect.

Thats called forechecking. Unless the definition has changed, a trap is a style of 1-3-1 or 1-2-2 originating in your offensive end and going through the neutral zone.

rsfs04
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Jerry D'Amigo has been called up to the Maple Leafs. They play tonight, but no word if he is in the lineup.

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/408618422935633921

Ralph Baer
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
es
Jerry D'Amigo has been called up to the Maple Leafs. They play tonight, but no word if he is in the lineup.

At the same time that Pirri was sent down. Interesting.

FlagDUDE08
12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
es

At the same time that Pirri was sent down. Interesting.

Makes it easy for Fantasy Hockey. Drop Pirri, pick up D'Amigo. :D

Jasma
12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Thats called forechecking. Unless the definition has changed, a trap is a style of 1-3-1 or 1-2-2 originating in your offensive end and going through the neutral zone.

Agreed. A good, aggressive forecheck (like Union does so well) speeds up the game and forces mistakes and turnovers. A neutral zone trap slow the game down and keeps most of the play between the blue lines or forces dump and chase. give me the aggressive, skating, hitting, forechecking game any day. Of course you must execute consistently and that is something RPI has had difficulty doing over the years.

jmhusker
12-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Sounds like he will be and that he will see time on the PK: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/05/leafs-look-to-break-five-game-funk-as-stars-visit-acc

sk8tronthepond
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Link to article by Ed today
http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131204/appert-wants-consistent-aggression

Interesting that Jake Wood, who would have been out Friday anyway due to suspension, is out for 4-6 after knee surgery. The forward depth we had is dwindling away.

See post #1182!

Red Cloud
12-05-2013, 03:31 PM
See post #1182!

No offense, but reading about it in the newspaper trumps some random person on the internet as far as breaking news. That includes anything anyone says here, including myself.