PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69

Red Cloud
12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I did not miss the point. You are creating a fictitious situation where Harkness loses to Clarkson

Oh, it was fictitous, eh? Crack an almanac sometime.

If you want to believe I compared Appert to Harkness (who just happened to be the coach at the time I chose to refer to), be my guest. What I compared was the total ignorance of pretty much everything else outside of one almost completely irrelevant factor.

Like I said, you missed the point. But come on now, that's hardly something new for you!

hockeymascot
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Oh, it was fictitous, eh? Crack an almanac sometime.

If you want to believe I compared Appert to Harkness (who just happened to be the coach at the time I chose to refer to), be my guest. What I compared was the total ignorance of pretty much everything else outside of one almost completely irrelevant factor.

Like I said, you missed the point. But come on now, that's hardly something new for you!

I did not mean to imply the score/game was fictitious (good thing you have an almanac by your cage), but that the situation created by BANNERGENTLEMAN48 was fictitious. You're missing my point. Take the blinders off for a second.....my point was you created something funny, which I agreed......it was hilarious!!! However, you wanted the situation to imply ridiculousness......which I don't think it was at all, because if you are using Coach Harkness in the example, the situations are NOT comparable.

Ralph Baer
12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I assume that BANNERGENTLEMAN48 is a member of the Class of '48. If so, he graduated before Harkness revived the hockey team. I would think that someone from that era probably regards either Union or Williams as our main rival, not Clarkson.

Why did I bother entering this discussion?

Ralph Baer
12-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I was just surfing the web looking if there was anything new about our recruits. While looking for info about Nanne, this Minneapolis Star Tribune article http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/234234171.html came up. Although it mentions Nanne in the first short paragraph it quickly shifts to taking about RPI's 1954 NCAA championship. Since it talks about both recruits and alums, I might as well post it here. :D

turk181
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I was just surfing the web looking if there was anything new about our recruits. While looking for info about Nanne, this Minneapolis Star Tribune article http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/234234171.html came up. Although it mentions Nanne in the first short paragraph it quickly shifts to taking about RPI's 1954 NCAA championship. Since it talks about both recruits and alums, I might as well post it here. :Dis this Mayasich related to Sam?.......Minnesota's legendary first line of John Mayasich

Ralph Baer
12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
is this Mayasich related to Sam?.......Minnesota's legendary first line of John Mayasich

See post #512 in this thread. (granduncle)

and add to that this quote http://www.sportsfeelgoodstories.com/books/book-excerpts/john-mayasich-the-eveleth-high-school-hockey-dynasty/:

“It’s a loss that sticks with me still today,” said Mayasich on the loss to R.P.I.. “To lose in overtime was bitter. It’s not the ones you won that you remember, it’s the ones you lost. To me, that was probably my biggest individual disappointment in all my years of hockey.”

Red Cloud
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I did not mean to imply the score/game was fictitious (good thing you have an almanac by your cage), but that the situation created by BANNERGENTLEMAN48 was fictitious. You're missing my point. Take the blinders off for a second.....my point was you created something funny, which I agreed......it was hilarious!!! However, you wanted the situation to imply ridiculousness......which I don't think it was at all, because if you are using Coach Harkness in the example, the situations are NOT comparable.

I don't expect you to understand the use of absurdity to illustrate absurdity. Just stop, it's obvious at this point that you have no clue as to what I'm getting at. You're delving so far into a joke that it is you who's becoming the punchline.

I assume that BANNERGENTLEMAN48 is a member of the Class of '48. If so, he graduated before Harkness revived the hockey team. I would think that someone from that era probably regards either Union or Williams as our main rival, not Clarkson.

EDIT: Aaaand now that goes for you too.

Ralph Baer
12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't think that this was posted here yet. Ed Weaver wrote an article yesterday about Ryan Haggerty http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131202/haggerty-cares-about-one-number-win-total.

FlagDUDE08
12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
A few things here.

1) Who's "gloating about a rival?" Exactly what would that entail, and why is it so horrible in the context of losing to them in the bigger picture? Are you honestly trying to tell me that the team's performance over the course of 22 ECAC contests is subsumed by their performance in 2 ECAC contests and one non-conference game?

I'm sure you are, considering that you once thought that his performance in ONE league game (Freakout) had serious bearing on his standing.

2) You have delusions of grandeur if you think Appert A) cares what you think or B) is concerned about "what you posted."

3) If you don't think a game that was 2-1 with five minutes left to play was close, please, for the love of God, tell me you didn't actually graduate from RPI, because any alum's degree is seriously devalued by such a revelation.

Appert keeps mentioning that the game is a rivalry game. Nice try.

I did not myself have those feelings about Freakout, but was merely echoing the feelings of a friend who does not post on here. You were told this four years ago, and still stuck your fingers in your ears.

FlagDUDE08
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't expect you to understand the use of absurdity to illustrate absurdity. Just stop, it's obvious at this point that you have no clue as to what I'm getting at. You're delving so far into a joke that it is you who's becoming the punchline.

EDIT: Aaaand now that goes for you too.

Going after Ralph now? Feeling a little like a certain group of people after rolling out a malfunctioning website? ;)

Ralph Baer
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Going after Ralph now? Feeling a little like a certain group of people after rolling out a malfunctioning website? ;)

Please don't think that I am supporting you on this. :)

Red Cloud
12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Appert keeps mentioning that the game is a rivalry game. Nice try.

So?

Way to gloss over basically the entire substance of the post, too. It happens when you're in such an untenable position.

I did not myself have those feelings about Freakout, but was merely echoing the feelings of a friend who does not post on here. You were told this four years ago, and still stuck your fingers in your ears.

So, if it had been Yale we were constantly losing against and not Union, would you be OK with it? Asking for a friend.

Going after Ralph now?

No.

lugnut92
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
So those Union games were nearly three weeks ago at this point. Can we just drop it and talk about what's happening with the team right now? We have games this weekend. The unholy emptiness caused by Thanksgiving is nearly past. Let's focus on now.

Maybe RC and FD can make a thread over in the Café and keep this going there.

Red Cloud
12-03-2013, 02:29 PM
So those Union games were nearly three weeks ago at this point.

Thank you.

Red Cloud
12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Driving on... it appears AspyDad's worries about losing Sachi are overblown, David Carle will be the next assistant coach at Denver, so it looks like Bryan Vines is staying.

DrDemento
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM
So those Union games were nearly three weeks ago at this point. Can we just drop it and talk about what's happening with the team right now? We have games this weekend. The unholy emptiness caused by Thanksgiving is nearly past. Let's focus on now.

Maybe RC and FD can make a thread over in the Café and keep this going there.

I don't have any Thanksgiving emptiness-I kind of wish I did-Jenny made this huge turkey and it is only us 2 and the cats here. I ate too much, drank far too much(I just should never do wine or anything sparkling) and now the cats are too spoiled to eat any sort of regular cat food.

Now back to hockey-Friday night could be a turning point to focus on. A team coming in that on paper we chould be able to handle-with the next night against a very good nationally ranked team. I do not think Princeton will be overlooked-but i am concerned that they just always seem to play well lately in Troy. I would just like to see us take charge early, put this one away fast, be able to rest a few guys late in the game, and avoid any sort of injuries. If Joe Marsh is advising princeton in any way-as he was reportedly doing last year-they will be a team that makes adaptations on the fly and make this game very challenging for us. Go Red!!!

Beman
12-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Defending absurd attacks upon him equals a man crush? Well, alrighty then.

Let his record defend him. You are what your record says you are. I have seen these man crushes before. It's kinda pathetic.

lugnut92
12-03-2013, 09:47 PM
DrD, you have the games backwards. Quinnipiac is Friday, Princeton is Saturday. I don't think that really changes the fact that Friday will be a pivotal game of this season. We've shown we can just kick the **** out of bad teams. We need to show we can put away the good ones (or even the mediocre *cough Harvard cough*).

Beman
12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
DrD, you have the games backwards. Quinnipiac is Friday, Princeton is Saturday. I don't think that really changes the fact that Friday will be a pivotal game of this season. We've shown we can just kick the **** out of bad teams. We need to show we can put away the good ones (or even the mediocre *cough Harvard cough*).

Qpac Best game of the year be there or be square

FlagDUDE08
12-04-2013, 06:16 AM

We need to show that we can beat trap teams. The last time this team was able to beat Princeton was February of 2011. (insert slams related to another thread in 3... 2... 1...) One thing that I did see in last year's game at Hobey (yes I was there, DrD is witness) was that we just could not put the puck on net to save our lives. And I'm also referring to open chances where the net was missed, something that doesn't go on the score sheet.