PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

lugnut92
11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
What does it matter? Keep the goalie in and lose by one, or pull him and potentially lose by two but have a better chance at scoring the tying goal? Who cares?

QFT.

Appert obviously feels this way as well.

DrDemento
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Pulling the goalie can be very effective-see Cornell vs RPI this year and you may not have to look any further. However, when you do pull the goalie for the extra skater, you really ought to have your team well versed in how to keep the puck in the offensive zone to create at least one good chance if not more. Some teams are good at it, some are not. Even though we have had to do it fairly often in the past few years-we just do not seem to have the knack as yet. Union does it well, obviously Cornell did it to us and in the pros-the Devils for years had it down to a science. Much like protecting a 2 goal lead in the third period-it is something that necessitates changing strategy and if we are to be a very successful team-we are going to have to learn how to do better.

BTW-I know what the book says-and if you are down by 2 goals you really have to do it very early. But down by one goal-I am one of those that would wait until that last minute with a face off in the opponent's end and my top line rested.

RPI fan 4 life
11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
What does it matter? Keep the goalie in and lose by one, or pull him and potentially lose by two but have a better chance at scoring the tying goal? Who cares?

I'm not saying that we should leave him in, but 2 goals in 2 years is not much of a record. Cornell and Union are at least 2 of the teams that are much better at it than we are.

FlagDUDE08
11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
It is about time the team won although the effort was still uneven. Still will need much better against the Q. I have a question about Friday's strategy by Appert. Why pull the goalie with 2 minutes left? General practice is to wait near the last minute. Did Appert think we would never get back into Mercyhurst's end?

We've had this discussion many a time. There's nothing wrong with the choice to pull the goalie, nor when. We were awful on the power play in the past few games, so why not give the team as much man-up time as can be spared to get the tying goal?

FlagDUDE08
11-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Statistically misguided folk. ;)

FlagDUDE08
11-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not saying that we should leave him in, but 2 goals in 2 years is not much of a record. Cornell and Union are at least 2 of the teams that are much better at it than we are.

Two goals is a heck of a lot more than zero.

ibanezist00
11-24-2013, 01:08 PM
OK, so we win a game. Big whoop. We didn't play 1/3 of the game, and were helplessly out-faceo******* (and I don't care if that isn't a word). Not to mention, gave up another major. We still have a lot to work on before we even think about considering ourselves to be tough to play against.

I recall a certain poster not too long ago saying we just need to win a game, forget about a blowout, etc. :)

ibanezist00
11-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Boston College lost to Maine last night 5-1 it appears BC is not what we thought they were and it appears Jerry York has lost control of the locker room and the team ! I'm sure you agree DeepRed72 !

+1 hilarious

11-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Not sure any team is that much better than another with the extra attacker. If they are shouldn't they have an exceptional number of ties vs 1 or 2 goal losses? Don't believe there should be any higher expectation of scoring an extra attacker goal than scoring a power play goal. They are pretty much one in the same, in fact the expectation might be lower. Over the past 2 seasons RPI has a power play factor of about 17%. In that same time frame there have been 15 games in which they have given up an EN goal(s) and 2 games in which they have scored a goal to tie the game a factor of about 12%.

Ralph Baer
11-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Not sure any team is that much better than another with the extra attacker. If they are shouldn't they have an exceptional number of ties vs 1 or 2 goal losses? Don't believe there should be any higher expectation of scoring an extra attacker goal than scoring a power play goal. They are pretty much one in the same, in fact the expectation might be lower. Over the past 2 seasons RPI has a power play factor of about 17%. In that same time frame there have been 15 games in which they have given up an EN goal(s) and 2 games in which they have scored a goal to tie the game a factor of about 12%.

The standard power play is 5 on 4 while the standard extra attacker is 6 on 5. I would think that it is easier to score in the former case since it is easier to locate the extra skater.

Big Jim
11-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm shocked we haven't heard Big Jim's thoughts on tonight's game yet.
I suppose I should be extremely excited that we actually won a game against a mediocre team. I will wait and see how we do when we get back to league play. Oh, by the way, I'm surprised a person at your maturity level could actually write something without calling the other a jerk or moron.

FlagDUDE08
11-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I recall a certain poster not too long ago saying we just need to win a game, forget about a blowout, etc. :)

And the last I checked, the number next to RPI was larger than the one next to Mercyhurst. I'd say we did. What's your point?

DrDemento
11-24-2013, 07:53 PM
The standard power play is 5 on 4 while the standard extra attacker is 6 on 5. I would think that it is easier to score in the former case since it is easier to locate the extra skater.

I would think the same. Some feel that with 6 on 5 or even better 6 on 4 there is just a greter chance to clog the area in front of the net and make something happen with a rebound or a tip or deflection. I am not a statistician but i find when we do get up 6 on 4(with an opponent penalty) we seem to have even more difficulty since they can ice the puck against us at will. With a 6 on 5 icing works a bit to our advantage since it gives us that much coveted face off in their zone. of course that means we have to actually win that faceoff.

Red Cloud
11-24-2013, 08:12 PM
I suppose I should be extremely excited that we actually won a game against a mediocre team. I will wait and see how we do when we get back to league play. Oh, by the way, I'm surprised a person at your maturity level could actually write something without calling the other a jerk or moron.

I'm just saying... on Friday night, you were here within minutes. I highly doubt if I'd not said anything, you'd have opened your trap. That's because you never have anything to say when you can't be badmouthing the team.

You talking about anyone's maturity level, however, is quite funny, given your outward appearance as a spoiled child.

FlagDUDE08
11-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm just saying... on Friday night, you were here within minutes. I highly doubt if I'd not said anything, you'd have opened your trap. That's because you never have anything to say when you can't be badmouthing the team.

You talking about anyone's maturity level, however, is quite funny, given your outward appearance as a spoiled child.

As opposed to your maturity level, which involves referring to specific posters by their astrological sign.

engineerhockeyfan
11-25-2013, 07:30 AM
I would think the same. Some feel that with 6 on 5 or even better 6 on 4 there is just a greter chance to clog the area in front of the net and make something happen with a rebound or a tip or deflection. I am not a statistician but i find when we do get up 6 on 4(with an opponent penalty) we seem to have even more difficulty since they can ice the puck against us at will. With a 6 on 5 icing works a bit to our advantage since it gives us that much coveted face off in their zone. of course that means we have to actually win that faceoff.

Just my own personal observation from watching hockey for over 50 years.
Most goals scored after pulling the goalie come from down low with confusion in front of the net.
We seem to want to play it like our power play with the puck being initiated from the point giving the opposition a chance to take it away and have a clear shot at the empty net.
Now we may be trying to get the puck down low, but we don't do a very good job of it.
Also, in most cases it is the defensive team that looks most affected by the pressure of having to defend, but in our case, we just don't look confident and end up making bad decisions.
Just one man's observation.

DrDemento
11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Just my own personal observation from watching hockey for over 50 years.
Most goals scored after pulling the goalie come from down low with confusion in front of the net.
We seem to want to play it like our power play with the puck being initiated from the point giving the opposition a chance to take it away and have a clear shot at the empty net.
Now we may be trying to get the puck down low, but we don't do a very good job of it.
Also, in most cases it is the defensive team that looks most affected by the pressure of having to defend, but in our case, we just don't look confident and end up making bad decisions.
Just one man's observation.

One man who I agree with here 100%. Wonderful description of exactly how I have been seeing it for some time.

AspyDad
11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
As opposed to your maturity level, which involves referring to specific posters by their astrological sign.

By the hammer of Grabthar, I will avenge red cloud

Red Cloud
11-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Let me clarify for you, "FlagDUDE."

canĚcer
a. Any of various malignant neoplasms characterized by the proliferation of anaplastic cells that tend to invade surrounding tissue and metastasize to new body sites.
b. The pathological condition characterized by such growths.

If it were an astrological sign, it would have been capitalized. Isn't grammar fun, cancer? I put a heavy emphasis on "pathological," too.

FlagDUDE08
11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Let me clarify for you, "FlagDUDE."

canĚcer
a. Any of various malignant neoplasms characterized by the proliferation of anaplastic cells that tend to invade surrounding tissue and metastasize to new body sites.
b. The pathological condition characterized by such growths.

If it were an astrological sign, it would have been capitalized. Isn't grammar fun, cancer? I put a heavy emphasis on "pathological," too.

Well thank you, McCarthy.