PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

lugnut92
11-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Not what we wanted/needed to see tonight. Need to learn how to keep a fire lit for 60 minutes.

Red Cloud
11-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Maybe some fans are getting the seven year itch. Also, why do you like to always like to insult other posters who don't happen to agree with you. Did someone die and leave you in charge?

I don't insult posters who don't agree with me unless they are blatantly morons. If you were around when the team was being successful, like most of last year, your whining would have some validation to it. As it is, you're nothing more than a jerk.

Stay@homeDad
11-23-2013, 06:34 AM
How do you post a picture on here?

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 06:58 AM
I don't insult posters who don't agree with me unless they are blatantly morons. If you were around when the team was being successful, like most of last year, your whining would have some validation to it. As it is, you're nothing more than a jerk.

No, you just disregard the lives of those that speak the truth, Ceasar. I didn't know you took the First Church of RPI Hockey and screwed it up into some sort of totalitarian cult, similar to what the Romans did with Christianity.

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Embedding has been disabled on USCHO ever since the last upgrade that removed the 1000 post limit. Just put a link.

DrDemento
11-23-2013, 08:23 AM
No, you just disregard the lives of those that speak the truth, Ceasar. I didn't know you took the First Church of RPI Hockey and screwed it up into some sort of totalitarian cult, similar to what the Romans did with Christianity.

I thought there would be no math and no Roman History on this thread?:confused:

Red Cloud
11-23-2013, 08:31 AM
I thought there would be no math and no Roman History on this thread?:confused:

Wow. He's really gone over the edge. WTH is the First Church of RPI Hockey? Some kind of construct in his mind?

RPI fan 4 life
11-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Wow. He's really gone over the edge. WTH is the First Church of RPI Hockey? Some kind of construct in his mind?

Probably. Maybe he's thinking of the Church of Monday Night Football, of which I was a member in good standing. Yes, really!

Beman
11-23-2013, 10:32 AM
A blowout win tonight would help

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 10:35 AM
A blowout win tonight would help

Blowout is not necessary. Let's play a 60-minute game, adjust in game to whatever our opponent is doing. If those happen, satisfaction will come, win lose or tie.

Red Cloud
11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Probably. Maybe he's thinking of the Church of Monday Night Football, of which I was a member in good standing. Yes, really!

Maybe he fancies himself some kind of dethroned pontiff, which is why he's lashing out at the "institution." :)

JCrawford
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM

The HTML < img > tags still work.

DeepRed72
11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
I'll keep it simple. DeepRed72 you should come spend some time in Troy and meet the coach and some of the players, tour the fieldhose and the locker room then you would realize where this program has come under SA's You would have no doubt who is in control 100%. To say this team is not that good shows a lack of any hockey knowelege at all.

Okay there are some in this world who choose to have opinions based upon hearsay. Others look at facts before forming a theory. I choose the latter method.

If you go to the CHN site they have Kratch Rankings and PWR posted albeit based upon last year's model which includes the now defunct TUC criterion. Nonetheless these are measures that can still be applied for the sake of comparisons.

Rensselaer is 25th in pairwise and 29th in Kratch. Meanwhile the Kratch standings of teams that RPI has beaten are: UNH (10), Colgate (20), BU (24), Sacred Heart (54) and Dartmouth (59). So only one team that is 'currently' an NCAA bubble team. Note that Harvard is 36th and Mercyhurst is 42nd. Clearly after more than 1/3 of the season completed, enough to be statistically significant, this team is average at best. The faux anger they displayed after the second Union game did not translate to hustle or desperation against Mercyhurst as 'WAP' suggested it might. Once again RPI got outshot and outskated after the first period. Are they not conditioned to play 60 minutes? Do they just not care? I doubt that. The only sensible conclusion I can come to is that they are not as good as originally advertised. You are what your record says you are. That is not based on 'lack of hockey knowledge', it is based upon empirical evidence.

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Okay there are some in this world who choose to have opinions based upon hearsay. Others look at facts before forming a theory. I choose the latter method.

If you go to the CHN site they have Kratch Rankings and PWR posted albeit based upon last year's model which includes the now defunct TUC criterion. Nonetheless these are measures that can still be applied for the sake of comparisons.

Rensselaer is 25th in pairwise and 29th in Kratch. Meanwhile the Kratch standings of teams that RPI has beaten are: UNH (10), Colgate (20), BU (24), Sacred Heart (54) and Dartmouth (59). So only one team that is 'currently' an NCAA bubble team. Note that Harvard is 36th and Mercyhurst is 42nd. Clearly after more than 1/3 of the season completed, enough to be statistically significant, this team is average at best. The faux anger they displayed after the second Union game did not translate to hustle or desperation against Mercyhurst as 'WAP' suggested it might. Once again RPI got outshot and outskated after the first period. Are they not conditioned to play 60 minutes? Do they just not care? I doubt that. The only sensible conclusion I can come to is that they are not as good as originally advertised. You are what your record says you are. That is not based on 'lack of hockey knowledge', it is based upon empirical evidence.

I sincerely doubt conditioning is the issue, especially given how the Colgate and BU games were played out. I will pose the question to those that watched the game and did not just simply listen to it on the radio: Did it seem that Mercyhurst, in the 2nd and 3rd periods, decided to dictate the pacing of the game? That is, did they slow it way down? What this would tell me, if they did, is that they used a strategy to perfectly counteract our up-tempo style. If this wasn't the case, I wouldn't be able to tell you. What I do know, though, is that SA needs to figure out how to make in-game adjustments, and needs to do it quick, before a certain get sup to a couple hundred posts.

Beman
11-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Blowout is not necessary. Let's play a 60-minute game, adjust in game to whatever our opponent is doing. If those happen, satisfaction will come, win lose or tie.

They need to blow them out. Nothing better than a good ***** kicking to get your swagger back

DrDemento
11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
I sincerely doubt conditioning is the issue, especially given how the Colgate and BU games were played out. I will pose the question to those that watched the game and did not just simply listen to it on the radio: Did it seem that Mercyhurst, in the 2nd and 3rd periods, decided to dictate the pacing of the game? That is, did they slow it way down? What this would tell me, if they did, is that they used a strategy to perfectly counteract our up-tempo style. If this wasn't the case, I wouldn't be able to tell you. What I do know, though, is that SA needs to figure out how to make in-game adjustments, and needs to do it quick, before a certain get sup to a couple hundred posts.

FDude-I watched(and was sorry I did) every minute. Mercyhurst did nothing different. We MADE them look different. Once we got up 2-1 it all just felt like somewhat let the air out. The defense got slow-I am a huge Curadi/Reno fan and they just looked horrible for the first time this year. Bad choices and very slow to react and head backwards. We had chances in front of the net early-several times a player left absolutely alone against the goalie and nothing to show for it. We did not finish and put this game a bit out of reach when we had the chances. The tempo of the game was also problematic-tons of whistles for off sides and icing but much of that was our own doing. The fact that Mercyhurst played smart enough not to put us on the power play also made a difference. We did not do that ourselves and being short handed may not give up a goal-but it sure makes SA's job difficult as our team seems to do best when he can just keep rolling the lines. What was extremely prominent was that we just have not kept any sustained offensive zone pressure(and we haven't in 3 games) as compared with earlier in the season when we kept the puck in the zone for what seemed like minutes at a time. We are allowing turnovers and quick rushes into our zone with regularity. It seems like we are not giving our defense or our goalie any time to breathe. I still think this team has the personnel to get back to the way they were playing but it falls on coach Appert to figure out who should be playing with who(the chemistry is just not there right now for the forwards and the defense). Things have to be adjusted and moved around-no one should be sacred. BTW the video on America One was as it always is-crappy(thankfully I had Kurt on WRPI doing the audio or i lprobably would have not been able to tell what went on)

DrDemento
11-23-2013, 03:37 PM
They need to blow them out. Nothing better than a good ***** kicking to get your swagger back

Unless Mercyhurst changes their entire style-or unless we are put onto the power play a bunch of times-that is not going to happen. Teams have watched us enough to know how we play and they all collapse and take away the passing lanes and breakout plays we use. Strategy-just do what it takes to win. if it means sitting back and defending and trapping for a turnover agianst some teams-and you end up winning 2-1 then so be it. Against other teams go out and blow up and down the ice and try to win in a shootout 6-5. You have to apprach each team differently and so far this year i am not so sure we have done that at all.

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 05:16 PM
FDude-I watched(and was sorry I did) every minute. Mercyhurst did nothing different. We MADE them look different. Once we got up 2-1 it all just felt like somewhat let the air out. The defense got slow-I am a huge Curadi/Reno fan and they just looked horrible for the first time this year. Bad choices and very slow to react and head backwards. We had chances in front of the net early-several times a player left absolutely alone against the goalie and nothing to show for it. We did not finish and put this game a bit out of reach when we had the chances. The tempo of the game was also problematic-tons of whistles for off sides and icing but much of that was our own doing. The fact that Mercyhurst played smart enough not to put us on the power play also made a difference. We did not do that ourselves and being short handed may not give up a goal-but it sure makes SA's job difficult as our team seems to do best when he can just keep rolling the lines. What was extremely prominent was that we just have not kept any sustained offensive zone pressure(and we haven't in 3 games) as compared with earlier in the season when we kept the puck in the zone for what seemed like minutes at a time. We are allowing turnovers and quick rushes into our zone with regularity. It seems like we are not giving our defense or our goalie any time to breathe. I still think this team has the personnel to get back to the way they were playing but it falls on coach Appert to figure out who should be playing with who(the chemistry is just not there right now for the forwards and the defense). Things have to be adjusted and moved around-no one should be sacred. BTW the video on America One was as it always is-crappy(thankfully I had Kurt on WRPI doing the audio or i lprobably would have not been able to tell what went on)

I was hoping to get your take on this, since I knew you watched the game. You'd think after 3 games we would have learned that no lead is safe. SA does sometimes mix up the lines in order to get mismatches, but it certainly is necessary for the team to stay out of the box. I understand these are college kids, but at the D-I level, you can expect at least some form of consistency. What SA needs to do to get that from his team, I'll leave that up to him.

DrDemento
11-23-2013, 05:36 PM
I was hoping to get your take on this, since I knew you watched the game. You'd think after 3 games we would have learned that no lead is safe. SA does sometimes mix up the lines in order to get mismatches, but it certainly is necessary for the team to stay out of the box. I understand these are college kids, but at the D-I level, you can expect at least some form of consistency. What SA needs to do to get that from his team, I'll leave that up to him.

Unless there were some injuries or discipline problems-I really do not quite understand some of the line changing. Earlier in the season some lines had considerable chemistry-then changes were made-guys were moved-and it seems some of that chemistry disappeared. i am not privy to the information SA has at his disposal and certainly I am not at practice. I suspect there are some good reasons for the changes but as of now-if everyone is healthy-I would go back to what was working earlier. Honestly-we seemed to be really OK last night until the first of the 4 penalties we got assessed in a row(mid second period) for boarding I think. Upsetting for sure-but I would wait and see what happens tonight.

FlagDUDE08
11-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Unless there were some injuries or discipline problems-I really do not quite understand some of the line changing. Earlier in the season some lines had considerable chemistry-then changes were made-guys were moved-and it seems some of that chemistry disappeared. i am not privy to the information SA has at his disposal and certainly I am not at practice. I suspect there are some good reasons for the changes but as of now-if everyone is healthy-I would go back to what was working earlier. Honestly-we seemed to be really OK last night until the first of the 4 penalties we got assessed in a row(mid second period) for boarding I think. Upsetting for sure-but I would wait and see what happens tonight.

Perhaps different players work best under different situations. And it's also possible that despite a line working well (similar to Polacek/Helfrich/Halpern way back in 07-08), perhaps there's something that would make it even better.