PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

FreshFish
11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
My "take" on OGC's comments in the cited article was that it was a strong motivational ploy:

"you guys are on the cusp of adulthood now, you need to grow up and police yourself. I'm your coach, not your dad. Suck it up and get used to it. You aren't on the team to win my approval, you are on the team to make the most of yourself that you can. It's your responsibility to work as hard as it takes to get there. Stop looking to me and start looking in the mirror."

and, "oh, by the way, it's time for our team leaders to start holding the players accountable....if they are indeed 'leaders' !"

Typically when two college players on the same team have a fight in practice, it can be a very very good sign that they are starting to realize that they are indeed accountable. What starts out as intra-squad frustration soon becomes a source of unity as it is re-focused on the opponent instead.

I don't see it as him "losing control" of the locker room: I see it as him telling the locker room to get itself under control.

It's a very difficult transition to move from being the underdog to being the favorite. One thing I often like to watch is for the favorite to crush the opposition, because that means they are playing up to their own potential rather than playing down to their opponents' level. We aren't there yet. OGC himself hasn't been there yet with our program either. He seems to be ahead of the team however in making progress to that goal.

rsfs04
11-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Wonder what the odds are on a Kasdorf return at this stage? Sitting out a year-already being an NHL draftee-married-he'd have to be very serious about his education to come back to Troy. I was pretty sure this year, if he had stayed healthy and had a very strong year, that he would most certainly be gone.

I felt the same way entering the season, he has a strong year, then he's very likely gone. But now I feel very strongly he'll be back. Remember, it's also up to Winnipeg to want him to jump to the pros (at least that's my understanding). The have another fantastic goalie prospect in college right now in Connor Hellebuyck. If they were to select one after this year to jump to the pros, would they take the guy who's played all year or the guy coming off of shoulder surgery? Because of that, I strongly looking forward to seeing him in the cherry and white once again.

Red Cloud
11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Wonder what the odds are on a Kasdorf return at this stage? Sitting out a year-already being an NHL draftee-married-he'd have to be very serious about his education to come back to Troy.

Or serious about putting his surgically-repaired shoulder to work first to see how it responds before playing professional hockey.

sk8tronthepond
11-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I see it as him telling the locker room to get itself under control.

You really are entertaining if I do say so!:)

Red Cloud
11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
You really are entertaining if I do say so!:)

This contributed greatly to the conversation. What were your observations?

turk181
11-21-2013, 03:16 PM
After being passed over in the 2013 draft, defensemen Parker Reno .....http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692442&navid=nhl:topheads

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Or serious about putting his surgically-repaired shoulder to work first to see how it responds before playing professional hockey.

Which is why i would say the odds are 50-50 on a return.;)

Red Cloud
11-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Which is why i would say the odds are 50-50 on a return.;)

Right, he either returns or he doesn't. :p

FlagDUDE08
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
They did eventually call the original charge on Haggerty, after it resulted in him getting jumped from behind which started that fight. However none of the four officials had his arm in the air before that fight happened, so apparently they decided after the fact that it was a penalty.

I saw the hand up on the video.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Right, he either returns or he doesn't. :p

As opposed to other sophomores returning where i would put the odds at 99-100% Kas has just so much to weigh and think about. Recovery and rehab of course being first and foremost. If he was not a fairly high draft choice i would think totally differently-but a lot of his decision making might be controlled by the parent club's thoughts and plans for him. Being a loyal and faithful RPI guy-I would love to be selfish and have him back in Troy for 3 more years leading this team to a ton of victories. But thinking more practically-the door is open for him for his future in hockey only for a certain amount of time. Finances and the economy can dictate what happens and of course there is always the risk of a career affecting injury occuring at any time. This fellow is good-very good-perhaps the best i have seen in an RPI uniform ever (and i go back to Bill Sack in goal). There are just too many ifs involved. If he recovers fully and if he is offered the right money and the right place to play-I would think he has to take the offer and go-whenever that offer appears. I would like to feel otherwise, but my heart wants him to come back to Troy while my head is telling me that something else is more likely. Just my 2(which with inflation is getting worth less all the time). We have seen this situation beofre with the group leaving in 1985, Brad Tapper in 2000, and Mark Cavosie. Whatever happens, I am certainly hoping for the best for this fine young man and his future.

11-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Doc -- Gotta believe he would be back for at least 1 more year. After missing a full season I am not sure an NHL organization would put much money on the table without seeing some positive playing results coming off an injury. In addition by being on scholarship he would get great treatment and rehab from the RPI staff. Never like to see a player in any sport get injured but particularly one who has the potential to make his living in that sport --- speedy recovery.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Doc -- Gotta believe he would be back for at least 1 more year. After missing a full season I am not sure an NHL organization would put much money on the table without seeing some positive playing results coming off an injury. In addition by being on scholarship he would get great treatment and rehab from the RPI staff. Never like to see a player in any sport get injured but particularly one who has the potential to make his living in that sport --- speedy recovery.

There is just far too much involved for any of us to know what will happen. But answer this question-if an NHL franchise offered you 1-2 million to sign and leave-what would you do? Remember that offer is being made once-and may not be repeated if you delay and certainly not be given if you get reinjured. Intriguing to say the least.

11-21-2013, 08:56 PM
There is just far too much involved for any of us to know what will happen. But answer this question-if an NHL franchise offered you 1-2 million to sign and leave-what would you do? Remember that offer is being made once-and may not be repeated if you delay and certainly not be given if you get reinjured. Intriguing to say the least.

Posed that way and if it were to happen that way its an easy decision --- I sign on the dotted line.

Back check
11-21-2013, 09:19 PM
At best Kasdorf would presently be 4th or 5th on Winnipeg depth chart; good chance he would be playing in ECHL if he turned pro. He would likely be making around $70 K a year for his first 2-3 yrs with around a $90 K signing bonus each year, if he received a max level entry deal.

Ralph Baer
11-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Ed Weaver's article http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131121/rpi-heads-west-in-need-of-victories.

Also former area sportscaster Rip Rowan passed away http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131120/capital-region-remembers-rip-rowan.

Red Cloud
11-22-2013, 08:35 AM
As opposed to other sophomores returning where i would put the odds at 99-100% Kas has just so much to weigh and think about. Recovery and rehab of course being first and foremost. If he was not a fairly high draft choice i would think totally differently-but a lot of his decision making might be controlled by the parent club's thoughts and plans for him. Being a loyal and faithful RPI guy-I would love to be selfish and have him back in Troy for 3 more years leading this team to a ton of victories. But thinking more practically-the door is open for him for his future in hockey only for a certain amount of time. Finances and the economy can dictate what happens and of course there is always the risk of a career affecting injury occuring at any time. This fellow is good-very good-perhaps the best i have seen in an RPI uniform ever (and i go back to Bill Sack in goal). There are just too many ifs involved. If he recovers fully and if he is offered the right money and the right place to play-I would think he has to take the offer and go-whenever that offer appears. I would like to feel otherwise, but my heart wants him to come back to Troy while my head is telling me that something else is more likely. Just my 2(which with inflation is getting worth less all the time). We have seen this situation beofre with the group leaving in 1985, Brad Tapper in 2000, and Mark Cavosie. Whatever happens, I am certainly hoping for the best for this fine young man and his future.

OK, let's break this down though.

1) He's drafted. That means he's not going to be fielding offers from multiple teams.
2) He's a sixth-round selection. Winnipeg was never expecting him to step in right away.
3) Winnipeg has a fifth-round draft pick who's A) healthy, B) put up better numbers last year, and C) is still putting up decent figures.
4) He's missing an entire season due to an injury that was picked up in a non-contract drill.
5) He's rehabbing, training, and growing, right now, in a place where Winnipeg can get development for the low, low price of FREE.

How much of this adds up to "Winnipeg offers him a contract?" What if this injury is already going to hamper his future prospects? There's no way to know until he's back on the ice in a game situation, and why would Winnipeg pay him first before seeing that game condition?

RPI fan 4 life
11-22-2013, 09:03 AM

1) He's drafted. That means he's not going to be fielding offers from multiple teams.
2) He's a sixth-round selection. Winnipeg was never expecting him to step in right away.
3) Winnipeg has a fifth-round draft pick who's A) healthy, B) put up better numbers last year, and C) is still putting up decent figures.
4) He's missing an entire season due to an injury that was picked up in a non-contract drill.
5) He's rehabbing, training, and growing, right now, in a place where Winnipeg can get development for the low, low price of FREE.

How much of this adds up to "Winnipeg offers him a contract?" What if this injury is already going to hamper his future prospects? There's no way to know until he's back on the ice in a game situation, and why would Winnipeg pay him first before seeing that game condition?

1000% correct Red cloud. Anyone who disagrees with what you just said is either just being argumentative or has no idea what he's talking about. I'm just not saying that because I want him back wearing the cherry and white next season, but I wouldn't be surprised that he returns the next 2 seasons.

Red Cloud
11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
1000% correct Red cloud. Anyone who disagrees with what you just said is either just being argumentative or has no idea what he's talking about. I'm just not saying that because I want him back wearing the cherry and white next season, but I wouldn't be surprised that he returns the next 2 seasons.

I think next season is a given. Beyond that depends greatly upon how he does next year. If next year's team is as good as I think it will be, and he performs as he did or better than in his freshman campaign last year, I could see him being offered and leaving at that point.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense that he's going to have the ability to turn pro, given the circumstances.

DrDemento
11-22-2013, 09:44 AM

All very well thought out and sensible-and why I too feel that his return is 50/50(and not that he is sure to leave). I just add up the equation slightly differently and of course it is only my own opinion/feeling. We are in no way disagreeing about the possiblities-I am just leaning a bit further the other way than some others. Decisions are made based on a lot of things-some work out and some in retrospect just do not look so good. Pirri left and it has turned out just fine for him. The jury is still out on D'Amigo. If the injury did not occur to Kas-if he was able to play this entire year-would that have affected how you feel about his chances to leave? Or would you have expected him back for year 3 as you are for a delayed year 2? Not sure if i am phrasing that right:confused:

FlagDUDE08
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
All very well thought out and sensible-and why I too feel that his return is 50/50(and not that he is sure to leave). I just add up the equation slightly differently and of course it is only my own opinion/feeling. We are in no way disagreeing about the possiblities-I am just leaning a bit further the other way than some others. Decisions are made based on a lot of things-some work out and some in retrospect just do not look so good. Pirri left and it has turned out just fine for him. The jury is still out on D'Amigo. If the injury did not occur to Kas-if he was able to play this entire year-would that have affected how you feel about his chances to leave? Or would you have expected him back for year 3 as you are for a delayed year 2? Not sure if i am phrasing that right:confused:

If a professional athlete has a surgery that has high impact on their ability to perform in the field, they always are sent to the minor leagues for "conditioning" to make sure they're ready to handle pro play. Look at Strasbourg when he had Tommy John surgery; we saw him here in Syracuse for a little while. With college, you get that conditioning, and don't even have to pay for it. It's a sweet deal for Winnipeg. He'd be staying.