PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Waite21
11-20-2013, 09:27 PM
So WaP dropped some knowledge that I was unaware of. RPI's last win in Pennsylvania was 47 years ago. Based on the timeline, it seems the advent of the Pens and Flyers is the reason we haven't won there in so long (correlation == causation, right?).

That 1966 victory occurred during my freshman year at RPI. I can remember listening on WRPI as RPI, with the high-scoring sophomore line of Dale Watson, Rich Scammell, and Barry Law, rang up 11 goals to defeat Penn, whose varsity program was in its infancy, 11-5. Penn's Class of '23 Rink had not yet been built, so the game was played at the ancient Arena in West Philadelphia with its equally ancient hockey equipment.

I can recall the announcers describing one play where it appeared RPI had shot the puck into the goal, but then the puck thudded against the end boards. No red light went on, so play continued. Penn was unable to clear the zone, and RPI shot it into the goal again. This time it stayed in and the goal counted. After the play, one of the officials had to go get a piece of twine to repair the hole where the first shot had gone right through the netting. :)

sk8tronthepond
11-21-2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20131120/rpi-not-hard-to-play-against

Troy record article. Interesting.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 11:14 AM
That 1966 victory occurred during my freshman year at RPI. I can remember listening on WRPI as RPI, with the high-scoring sophomore line of Dale Watson, Rich Scammell, and Barry Law, rang up 11 goals to defeat Penn, whose varsity program was in its infancy, 11-5. Penn's Class of '23 Rink had not yet been built, so the game was played at the ancient Arena in West Philadelphia with its equally ancient hockey equipment.

I can recall the announcers describing one play where it appeared RPI had shot the puck into the goal, but then the puck thudded against the end boards. No red light went on, so play continued. Penn was unable to clear the zone, and RPI shot it into the goal again. This time it stayed in and the goal counted. After the play, one of the officials had to go get a piece of twine to repair the hole where the first shot had gone right through the netting. :)

1966 was my last year at RPI. I just went across the river to medical school so I still was able to get back and see most games. The line you mention-reignited my fire for RPI hockey. There was a lot of talent there.

DeepRed72
11-21-2013, 12:16 PM
The Appert comments are very disturbing. Based upon his record at RPI I cannot give his words any credence. How can a team have 'gliders'? These are his recruits. If the guys are dogging it it is a reflection on his ability to judge character. The fights at the end of the Union game were indicative of a bush-league team. How about bringing that energy to their play instead of waiting 58 minutes to wake up? Every year you read about great expectations. This team is simply not that good. Victories against teams that have poor records don't carry much weight. As Bill Parcells put it, "You are what your record says your are." The players should be practicing the powerplay rather than reading the pre-season press clippings.

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 12:48 PM
The Appert comments are very disturbing. Based upon his record at RPI I cannot give his words any credence. How can a team have 'gliders'? These are his recruits. If the guys are dogging it it is a reflection on his ability to judge character. The fights at the end of the Union game were indicative of a bush-league team. How about bringing that energy to their play instead of waiting 58 minutes to wake up? Every year you read about great expectations. This team is simply not that good. Victories against teams that have poor records don't carry much weight. As Bill Parcells put it, "You are what your record says your are." The players should be practicing the powerplay rather than reading the pre-season press clippings.

Welcome . If I may ask, is 72 when you were born or the year that you graduated (or neither)?

IMO the power play is a lot better than in past years. At least it isn't that we should decline penalties.

We have had this discussion many times, and I don't know if you have been lurking in the past, but RPI has some problems in recruiting that most other schools don't have. These include the fact that it is a technical school, the male/female ratio, and the fact it is a difficult school to get into and succeed without the reputation of the Ivies. Be that as it may, SA has done an admirable job in recruiting although I am not convinced that the known recruits in the pipeline are as good overall as the ones they will replace. (IMO some are and some aren't.)

As to the fights, the blame can be laid on both RPI and Union. Also the refs are partially to blame for not calling a penalty on Haggerty when it occurred which caused a Union player to take things into his own hands, so to speak. (It was Haggerty, wasn't it?)

GRussinko
11-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Welcome . If I may ask, is 72 when you were born or the year that you graduated (or neither)?

IMO the power play is a lot better than in past years. At least it isn't that we should decline penalties.

We have had this discussion many times, and I don't know if you have been lurking in the past, but RPI has some problems in recruiting that most other schools don't have. These include the fact that it is a technical school, the male/female ratio, and the fact it is a difficult school to get into and succeed without the reputation of the Ivies. Be that as it may, SA has done an admirable job in recruiting although I am not convinced that the known recruits in the pipeline are as good overall as the ones they will replace. (IMO some are and some aren't.)

As to the fights, the blame can be laid on both RPI and Union. Also the refs are partially to blame for not calling a penalty on Haggerty when it occurred which caused a Union player to take things into his own hands, so to speak. (It was Haggerty, wasn't it?)

They did eventually call the original charge on Haggerty, after it resulted in him getting jumped from behind which started that fight. However none of the four officials had his arm in the air before that fight happened, so apparently they decided after the fact that it was a penalty.

jmhusker
11-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Remember-the title of this thread is-"Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel". Perhaps we could make the next one read-"Sunny, with a slight chance of common sense".
I'd say "Increasing Clouds, Isolated Drivel and significant chance of an unmitigated Blow Hard"

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 01:16 PM
They did eventually call the original charge on Haggerty, after it resulted in him getting jumped from behind which started that fight. However none of the four officials had his arm in the air before that fight happened, so apparently they decided after the fact that it was a penalty. That is what I meant by "when it occurred". I think that was a big part of the problem.

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I'd say "Increasing Clouds, Isolated Drivel and significant chance of an unmitigated Blow Hard"

QFT

a

DeepRed72
11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Ralph. Class of '72. I remember Watson and Scammell. I was at the 4-3 OT win in the Field House over Cornell and Ken Dryden. I'll never forget the amazing goal Watson scored from his knees. Sadly we lost Dale to brain cancer 3 years ago. I guess you could call me a lurker but after the shutout to North Dakota two years ago and the collapse last year, I came to the conclusion that Appert has had his shot. I know all about the problems with recruiting but come on, 30 years without an NCAA goal?? Appert's comments in the Record article are non sequitur. Seems to me like he has lost this team and is clueless on how to fix it. That second game vs. Union was dreadful - mad me sick to my stomach after so much anticipation that this could be the team that turns the corner.

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi Ralph. Class of '72. I remember Watson and Scammell. I was at the 4-3 OT win in the Field House over Cornell and Ken Dryden. I'll never forget the amazing goal Watson scored from his knees. Sadly we lost Dale to brain cancer 3 years ago. I guess you could call me a lurker but after the shutout to North Dakota two years ago and the collapse last year, I came to the conclusion that Appert has had his shot. I know all about the problems with recruiting but come on, 30 years without an NCAA goal?? Appert's comments in the Record article are non sequitur. Seems to me like he has lost this team and is clueless on how to fix it. That second game vs. Union was dreadful - mad me sick to my stomach after so much anticipation that this could be the team that turns the corner.

Several of us here attended that game. :)

Your freshman year was my first year as a Math grad student and TA, and I taught (attempted to teach?) the freshman and sophomore Calc and DiffE sequence to numerous members of your class my first two years of grad school.

The almost 30 years without an NCAA goal rankles me greatly also, but that is not only on SA's head.

DeepRed72
11-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Ralph, I don't remember you, but then again there is a lot I have forgotten along the years. I had 'Ma' Houston (she was a professor emeritus) for calc2. As for DiffE I can't remember exactly but perhaps the teacher was something like Matkowski? I believe he was a TA also.

jmhusker
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Merrick, NY. I'm resisting the urge to call you elephant man... Your sentiments are stated reasonably. Any chance that you went to the UCONN tournament last year? I was speaking to a gentleman about your age I think. He expressed certain frustration level that I'm reminded of in your post. Interestingly enough I also met Flag Dude at that game - I think that was before he wen off meds though;).

IMO, we need to wait more this year before we press the panic button. In the NHL, they say you pretty much know what you have for a team by Thanksgiving. In college hockey, I think the point of reference is more like after the 2nd weekend in January. The tournament in Minnesota will also be a good measuring stick for where we are at.

I wonder if Appert has considered getting one of the goalies to come in early for the 2nd half of the season. I remember when Addessa did it back around 1987 if I recall. It would be kinda crazy to have 4 goalies on the roster however if Scott D gets hurt we will be in serious trouble.

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Ralph, I don't remember you, but then again there is a lot I have forgotten along the years. I had 'Ma' Houston (she was a professor emeritus) for calc2. As for DiffE I can't remember exactly but perhaps the teacher was something like Matkowski? I believe he was a TA also.

Bernie Matkowski was a professor, quite young at that time, but definitely not a TA.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Welcome DeepRed. Feel free to voice what you want-there will be some who will disagree-often vehemently. But for those of us who have followed this program for so many years, what you said has a lot of truth to it. I was also at that wonderful 4-3 OT victory over Cornell sitting a few rows up from where Doug Hearns took the shot that ended it. Kurt Stutt has a great picture of that in his book( amust read for any true RPI hockey follower).

My only small disagreement with your statement was your choice of words about the NDak game in the NCAA tournament. I thought we played a pretty darn good first 20+ minutes against a team that was just plain loaded. Too many NHL draft choices on that team for me to count, a team with a lot of size and even more speed. I felt NDak was the team to beat in the tournament and the one we would match up the worst against. The rest of your comments are right on. 30 years without a goal is a long time.

Ralph Baer
11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I wonder if Appert has considered getting one of the goalies to come in early for the 2nd half of the season. I remember when Addessa did it back around 1987 if I recall. It would be kinda crazy to have 4 goalies on the roster however if Scott D gets hurt we will be in serious trouble. The only goalie recruit that we currently have, Alec Dillon, is only 17, and probably still an HS student. Conceivably we could find someone else, but would he want to be third strong next year assuming Kasdorf returns? Also we could have trouble finding scholarship money for next semester.

jmhusker
11-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I guess I need to read the recruit thread more.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Merrick, NY. I'm resisting the urge to call you elephant man... Your sentiments are stated reasonably. Any chance that you went to the UCONN tournament last year? I was speaking to a gentleman about your age I think. He expressed certain frustration level that I'm reminded of in your post. Interestingly enough I also met Flag Dude at that game - I think that was before he wen off meds though;).

IMO, we need to wait more this year before we press the panic button. In the NHL, they say you pretty much know what you have for a team by Thanksgiving. In college hockey, I think the point of reference is more like after the 2nd weekend in January. The tournament in Minnesota will also be a good measuring stick for where we are at.

I wonder if Appert has considered getting one of the goalies to come in early for the 2nd half of the season. I remember when Addessa did it back around 1987 if I recall. It would be kinda crazy to have 4 goalies on the roster however if Scott D gets hurt we will be in serious trouble.

JM-Are you thinking of Sean Kennedy being brought in at goal? That would be ?1988-I think we first saw him in the Xmas tourney when we shut out Notre Dame. I agree we would be up the creek if Scotty D has any sort of problem.

DrDemento
11-21-2013, 02:11 PM
The only goalie recruit that we currently have, Alec Dillon, is only 17, and probably still an HS student. Conceivably we could fins someone else, but would he want to be third strong next year assuming Kasdorf returns? Also we could have trouble finding scholarship money for next semester.

Wonder what the odds are on a Kasdorf return at this stage? Sitting out a year-already being an NHL draftee-married-he'd have to be very serious about his education to come back to Troy. I was pretty sure this year, if he had stayed healthy and had a very strong year, that he would most certainly be gone.

jmhusker
11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
JM-Are you thinking of Sean Kennedy being brought in at goal? That would be ?1988-I think we first saw him in the Xmas tourney when we shut out Notre Dame. I agree we would be up the creek if Scotty D has any sort of problem.
Bingo.